Armed Forces Radio & Television acetate transfer of the July 2, 1955 Louisiana Hayride show

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
John

Armed Forces Radio & Television acetate transfer of the July 2, 1955 Louisiana Hayride show

Postby John » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:49 am

This has been posted on FB:

I have an unreleased, unedited Armed Forces Radio & Television acetate transfer of the July 2, 1955 Louisiana Hayride show in Shreveport.
It's a raw digital recording just like it was recorded on the acetate from July 2, 1955. It includes Elvis, Scotty and Bill ("I'm Left, You're Rights, She's Gone) and other performers like Betty Amos etc.
Running time: 25+ minutes
Price: 250 euro
If anybody is interested send me a PM.

Anyone familiar with this?

Acetate.jpg
Acetate pic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard

Re: Armed Forces Radio & Television acetate transfer of the July 2, 1955 Louisiana Hayride show

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:22 am

John wrote:This has been posted on FB:

I have an unreleased, unedited Armed Forces Radio & Television acetate transfer of the July 2, 1955 Louisiana Hayride show in Shreveport.
It's a raw digital recording just like it was recorded on the acetate from July 2, 1955. It includes Elvis, Scotty and Bill ("I'm Left, You're Rights, She's Gone) and other performers like Betty Amos etc.

Acetate.jpgAcetate pic.jpg

So it's €250 for a digital file? Presumably anyone could buy it and release it on disc, in that case. Is it better than the wire transfer, that's the question. Or is it the complete show taken from the wire transfer, and a fake acetate label.

Topic author
John

Re: Armed Forces Radio & Television acetate transfer of the July 2, 1955 Louisiana Hayride show

Postby John » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:46 am

Richard wrote:

So it's €250 for a digital file? Presumably anyone could buy it and release it on disc, in that case. Is it better than the wire transfer, that's the question. Or is it the complete show taken from the wire transfer, and a fake acetate label.

I have now spoken to the seller. The quality is as per ABFT, but it's the whole show. The seller said there is a one second drop out on I'm Left You're Right She's Gone. He has made Ernst aware of it who is going to get in touch with the radio station that broadcast the programme.

The seller said I could have it for €100.

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:03 pm

and i will fix the drop out for you. John ;)
"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:16 pm

John wrote:
Richard wrote:

I have now spoken to the seller. The quality is as per ABFT, but it's the whole show. The seller said there is a one second drop out on I'm Left You're Right She's Gone. He has made Ernst aware of it who is going to get in touch with the radio station that broadcast the programme.

I can't see the point in Ernst being involved if it's the same, and I can't see why he'd be interested knowing that copies were already on sale. Unless I'm missing something obvious?

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:51 pm

The label is to clean after all those years; on all AFRS records I’ve seen there are mentioned more details on the label what’s on the record. In my opinion it could be fake. Also mentioned "Television" on the label is "suspicious" as this is mentioned on records later on.

Here’s I’m left you’re right she’s gone on AFRS label (single sided).

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:18 pm

colonel snow wrote:The label is to clean after all those years; on all AFRS records I’ve seen there are mentioned more details on the label what’s on the record. In my opinion it could be fake. Also mentioned "Television" on the label is "suspicious" as this is mentioned on records later on.

Here’s I’m left you’re right she’s gone on AFRS label (single sided).

colonel snow

Colonel snow, you're just talking of the one song, whereas this is an acetate of the whole 25 minute show.

It was broadcast on KOSY (Texarkana) and recorded but I don't know any more than that. The quality is the same as ABFT, but whether it has anymore to it, I don't know.

I'm guessing someone could buy it and release it, but that's purely guesswork.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:20 pm

I don’t think there’s a lot of interest to buy the whole show. I’m left you’re right she’s gone is already released on ABFT and other CD’s.

colonel snow

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:02 pm

John wrote:
Richard wrote:

Folks, I'm... all messed up.

First of all, I think you are mixing the July 2, 1955 live recording of "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" (first officially released on "Sunrise") with the October 29, 1955 live recording of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" (first officially released on "A Boy From Tupelo" - Legacy reissue).

Second, why should the quality of the July 2 live recording be "as per ABFT" ? That's a poor recording derived from a damaged acetate, and this is presumably a different source.

Finally, if this indeed includes the whole July 2 show, it would be extremely interesting to listen to it, even if no new Elvis stuff is on it. Just like it would be great to listen to a complete transfer of the October 29 show that surfaced via a wire recoriding, and was purchased by Sony.

Unfortunately, I don't believe we are going to hear that material - 1976 live crap has a wider market, clearly.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:08 pm

It's me that got it wrong. I wasn't paying attention, sorry.

Sunguy

Postby Sunguy » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:09 pm

This was initially offered in a group of Sun records fans on FB, for €500. I asked the guy why a digital transfer was valued so high. I also asked for more information and he stopped responding and obviously moved it to another group to advertise.
The rest of the show has no value to me and I assume most other Elvis fans. It’s interesting how quickly the price has fallen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
John

Postby John » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:00 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Richard wrote:

Folks, I'm... all messed up.

First of all, I think you are mixing the July 2, 1955 live recording of "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" (first officially released on "Sunrise") with the October 29, 1955 live recording of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" (first officially released on "A Boy From Tupelo" - Legacy reissue).

Second, why should the quality of the July 2 live recording be "as per ABFT" ? That's a poor recording derived from a damaged acetate, and this is presumably a different source.

Finally, if this indeed includes the whole July 2 show, it would be extremely interesting to listen to it, even if no new Elvis stuff is on it. Just like it would be great to listen to a complete transfer of the October 29 show that surfaced via a wire recoriding, and was purchased by Sony.

Unfortunately, I don't believe we are going to hear that material - 1976 live crap has a wider market, clearly.

The seller also says
After I told details to Ernst, he said it might be even from late 1954.
I don't think the song was even written in 1954, was it?

He also sent me this brief snip of a photo of Elvis and Faron Young. Have we had this pic on here?
Pic.jpg

He is a member on here. maybe lapsed, but I said he should get back on here. He says he has a lot of unseen photos, but that's of no interest to me.

I'll let you everyone know if I get any more info, or maybe the guy will post on here himself.

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:44 pm

John wrote:He also sent me this brief snip of a photo of Elvis and Faron Young. Have we had this pic on here?
6587169D-5FC7-46B6-B4D5-9794AC4CA238.png

We have now

6F13F00A-C928-43C3-B404-8CB5AA888025.jpeg
ImageImage

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:47 pm

John wrote:The seller also says

He also sent me this brief snip of a photo of Elvis and Faron Young. Have we had this pic on here?
Pic.jpg

He is a member on here. maybe lapsed, but I said he should get back on here. He says he has a lot of unseen photos, but that's of no interest to me.

I'll let you everyone know if I get any more info, or maybe the guy will post on here himself.

"Late 1954" ?

The more I learn, the more confused I am. So now the July 2, 1955 date has been discarded and moved half a year earlier ?
Also, the single was released April 1955.

Anyway, if we could listen to the entire show, we could probably pinpoint the approximate, if not exact, date. The other artists appearing, and their repertoires, would be the giveaway.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:31 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:The seller also says

Pic.jpg

"Late 1954" ?

The more I learn, the more confused I am. So now the July 2, 1955 date has been discarded and moved half a year earlier ?
Also, the single was released April 1955.

Anyway, if we could listen to the entire show, we could probably pinpoint the approximate, if not exact, date. The other artists appearing, and their repertoires, would be the giveaway.

Betty Amos was one of them.
Betty Amos.jpg

Return to “Everything Elvis”