Blue Hawaii in 4k UHD Blu-ray

All the Elvis you can take

HD_RES

Re: Blue Hawaii in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Postby HD_RES » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:02 pm

The 4k release is really good,the video quality is amazing.
The bluray is also good if 4k is not possible for you.
Perhaps my favorite elvis movie release and I have them all on bluray.
Fingers crossed for more on the 4k format.

Topic author
jbgude

Postby jbgude » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:33 am

I just got to watch the Blu-ray - the German print. I found the "film grain" excessive in the panoramic /wide shots, especially the blue skies- in one shot it looked a swarm of mosquitoes - if anyone has seen them over swampy land in many tropical parts of Asia/ Africa, you will know what I mean.
For me, after all the praise I had read on the quality of the print, the amount of graining was a big disappointment. The colours, however, in close ups, especially of the Red convertible, are really vibrant. I am looking forward to the 4k copy, hope that improves the" viewing experience.
For me, "Viva las Vegas' is far and away the best quality Blu-ray( of Elvis) put out.

HD_RES

Postby HD_RES » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:44 pm

jbgude wrote:I just got to watch the Blu-ray - the German print. I found the "film grain" excessive in the panoramic /wide shots, especially the blue skies- in one shot it looked a swarm of mosquitoes - if anyone has seen them over swampy land in many tropical parts of Asia/ Africa, you will know what I mean.
For me, after all the praise I had read on the quality of the print, the amount of graining was a big disappointment. The colours, however, in close ups, especially of the Red convertible, are really vibrant. I am looking forward to the 4k copy, hope that improves the" viewing experience.
For me, "Viva las Vegas' is far and away the best quality Blu-ray( of Elvis) put out.

Viva Las Vegas is probably the best bluray from a technical point but I still enjoy the Blue Hawaii movie more.
Much due to the great Hawaii location,elvis voice in 1961 and the funny Angela Lansbury who does a great job as Elvis` mother :)

Topic author
jbgude

Postby jbgude » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:21 am

HD_RES wrote:
jbgude wrote:I just got to watch the Blu-ray - the German print. I found the "film grain" excessive in the panoramic /wide shots, especially the blue skies- in one shot it looked a swarm of mosquitoes - if anyone has seen them over swampy land in many tropical parts of Asia/ Africa, you will know what I mean.

Viva Las Vegas is probably the best bluray from a technical point but I still enjoy the Blue Hawaii movie more.
Much due to the great Hawaii location,elvis voice in 1961 and the funny Angela Lansbury who does a great job as Elvis` mother :)

To each his own! :) For me nothing compares to Ms Olsen in the white hot pants leading the way to her car :D :D The many happy memories of literally escaping my boarding school to watch her shake her thing. Not even getting a public caning, (School assembly, we were discovered missing)the next morning, along with my co conspirators can reduce the pleasure. No sir, I was born in a seaside town, so Hawaii ( please note, I did not see BH till after VHS came out)holds no special charm. :) :)

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:58 am

Mister Moon wrote:
Private Presley wrote:49528BAE-5D65-4AC4-96EC-446DD2F98E33.jpeg

This really sucks!!! This should belong to Colin's thread "SPOT THE ERROR"!

That photo from PHS...

Sometimes you wonder who's minding the store...

I ended up getting the Bluray.

So, they did correct the photo from PHS, but when you put the disc in......

GUESS WHAT?......The still used for the background of the MENU is that same PHS still.

Insane.

Juan Luis

Postby Juan Luis » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:46 pm

IMO, film grain seen in Blue Hawaii 4K IMO, due to back in the day 35mm film copies (not in the same generation), were used in the original final edit. Might not have been noticeable in the theater releases cause most of the prints were made at least from 2nd generation copies etc.. Most probably BH 4K was not made from original negatives. In cases like these. Too much resolution is not necessarily better for the viewing experience.

Return to “Everything Elvis”