Sun records 70

All the Elvis you can take

Mister Moon

Re: Sun records 70

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:14 pm

Available in 10 days time from Bear Family.

From the sample pages they include, I know I'm not gonna get it :

https://www.bear-family.com/peter-guralnick/colin-escott-the-birth-of-rock-n-roll-70-years-of-sun-records.html

John

Postby John » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:34 am

Mister Moon wrote:Available in 10 days time from Bear Family.

https://www.bear-family.com/peter-guralnick/colin-escott-the-birth-of-rock-n-roll-70-years-of-sun-records.html

Expected 22nd November.
https://store.sunrecords.com/product/X3 ... rh_fERLKgw

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:05 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Available in 10 days time from Bear Family.

Expected 22nd November.
https://store.sunrecords.com/product/X3 ... rh_fERLKgw

Yes, it looks like it's been delayed. However, the BF site has the release date as November 1.

Sunguy

Postby Sunguy » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:06 pm

I received my copy of this a couple of days ago now. I admit I have only flipped through it, picking and choosing places to stop and read.

It’s the type of book you can do that with, not having to follow it like a story. There are many great photos within, some I’ve never seen before. Each chosen song has a few paragraphs about the song or the artist or both, although in not the detail you may expect from Peter Guralnick.

One song omitted was Good Rockin’ Tonight, which I believe is a grave mid justice when telling a history of Rock n Roll from the Sun Records perspective. The progression Elvis, Scotty and Bill made in the short time between 209 and 210 was incredible. But I suppose when you’re restricted to 70 songs something must be left behind.

They included a song BB Kong recorded at Sun for the RPM label, She’s Dynamite. Originally recorded by a group known as Tampa Red, which was a forgettable tune when released. Sam Phillips took hold of this track and made it into something entirely different. He combine guitar, piano and bass all playing a boogie woogie run at the same time. This lifted the song to a new level, and BB delivered on vocal. Guralnick didn’t mention much about this song at all definitely not describing what Sam did as an arranger/producer for it.
This is was a disappointment to me and because you don’t get that sense of what the studio and Sam did, then you question why this track of BB’s and not any number of others was included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:08 pm

Sunguy wrote:I received my copy of this a couple of days ago now. I admit I have only flipped through it, picking and choosing places to stop and read.

It’s the type of book you can do that with, not having to follow it like a story. There are many great photos within, some I’ve never seen before. Each chosen song has a few paragraphs about the song or the artist or both, although in not the detail you may expect from Peter Guralnick.

One song omitted was Good Rockin’ Tonight, which I believe is a grave mid justice when telling a history of Rock n Roll from the Sun Records perspective. The progression Elvis, Scotty and Bill made in the short time between 209 and 210 was incredible. But I suppose when you’re restricted to 70 songs something must be left behind.

They included a song BB Kong recorded at Sun for the RPM label, She’s Dynamite. Originally recorded by a group known as Tampa Red, which was a forgettable tune when released. Sam Phillips took hold of this track and made it into something entirely different. He combine guitar, piano and bass all playing a boogie woogie run at the same time. This lifted the song to a new level, and BB delivered on vocal. Guralnick didn’t mention much about this song at all definitely not describing what Sam did as an arranger/producer for it.
This is was a disappointment to me and because you don’t get that sense of what the studio and Sam did, then you question why this track of BB’s and not any number of others was included.

Many thanks for your comments. That's interesting.

If there's an index page, could you please post an image of it, so we can see the song selection and structure of the book ?

Thank you !

Sunguy

Postby Sunguy » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:31 am

Unfortunately there isn’t an index or any type of listing of the 70 songs. You don’t see what is next until you turn the page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Everything Elvis”