Leaving items sealed.

All the Elvis you can take

Puppet_on_a_String

Re: Leaving items sealed.

Postby Puppet_on_a_String » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:07 pm

Just out of interest does anybody know when they first started factory sealing Elvis records. I'm in the UK and I don't remember ever seeing a sealed one during his lifetime. But then I bought them in the local record store, where just the sleeve was on display and you took that to the counter and the assistant would search around the back shelves for the vinyl in its inner sleeve, maybe it was different in big city stores?

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:51 am

Puppet_on_a_String wrote:Just out of interest does anybody know when they first started factory sealing Elvis records. I'm in the UK and I don't remember ever seeing a sealed one during his lifetime. But then I bought them in the local record store, where just the sleeve was on display and you took that to the counter and the assistant would search around the back shelves for the vinyl in its inner sleeve, maybe it was different in big city stores?

It became common in the USA in the early to mid 1960's, prior to that ( mid to late 50's) you'd find albums in plastic 'baggies' and not necessarily factory sealed shrink, but done in stores.
In the UK shrink sealed albums started to appear (from my recollection) during the vinyl resurgence long after CD's took hold. I'd guess early to mid 90's.
The only sealed Elvis records during his lifetime (that I recall) were US imports of his 70's albums, and even then some record stores opened them to put the sleeve on display and follow the practice you described above.
I remember the Camden and PICKWICK albums on display in tall revolving racks in places like Woolworths, and those albums were not shrinked either, but complete with the record and inner sleeve inside.

John

Postby John » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:13 am

Puppet_on_a_String wrote:Just out of interest does anybody know when they first started factory sealing Elvis records. I'm in the UK and I don't remember ever seeing a sealed one during his lifetime. But then I bought them in the local record store, where just the sleeve was on display and you took that to the counter and the assistant would search around the back shelves for the vinyl in its inner sleeve, maybe it was different in big city stores?

I'm in the UK and the shop I used in Slough was so big, and had so many records by all artists, that they had no room to remove the LPs and store them elsewhere. All the records were in their sleeves, and they were not sealed. You could slide the record out to have a look at it.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:34 pm

I bought most of my US imports from a great local market stall that carried all the soundtracks etc when they were deleted in the UK. Happy days!
The display sleeves weren't sealed, but unless you bought the last available copy, you would get a sealed album when you made your purchase.
I never saw sealed UK albums anywhere from major retailers to small independents.
I would agree with Tony S that sealed albums didn't arrive in UK stores until the late 80's / early 90's, and this would have been when the pressing operation had already moved to Germany.
Of course from time to time you do see rather dubious eBay listings in which UK titles from the 60's & 70's are listed as sealed or still in the shrink, but I'm pretty sure that this has been done by the seller.

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:42 pm

rockinrebel wrote:......Of course from time to time you do see rather dubious eBay listings in which UK titles from the 60's & 70's are listed as sealed or still in the shrink, but I'm pretty sure that this has been done by the seller.

Usually U.S. sellers too, and it's a big give-away not to trust them.

Matt Helm

Postby Matt Helm » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:34 pm

Please "sealed" this topic...what a mess so far...?!:shock:
Respectfully, Matt

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:32 pm

Matt Helm wrote:Please "sealed" this topic...what a mess so far...?!:shock:
Respectfully, Matt

No need, it's good to read members' thoughts on this.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

minkahed

Postby minkahed » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:20 am

I have lots of Elvis LP's and tapes, even some CD's, still sealed !!! It's up to the owner of said product to determine what he/she wants to do with it as they see fit.

I own the FTD albums of "Good Times" and "The Jungle Room Sessions still SEALED, sitting rite in my room.

Right now, I see no need to go open them just to open them. They are also very sentimental to me as well.

If I buy Elvis records, CD's, I usually wait for some record shows to come along or visit some of my fav. Stores, nuthin ever online.

Most of my stuff that is sealed, I know for sure, it's either when I bought them, or if a family member has passed me down an item, (1968 Mono T.V. Special LP) that was part of their collection or close friends that know I would enjoy a particular item.

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:52 am

minkahed wrote:It's up to the owner of said product to determine what he/she wants to do with it as they see fit.

That's it in a nutshell.

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:32 pm

Here's one of those racks I mentioned earlier, and you can even see Elvis' Christmas Akbum too.

image.jpeg

Matt Helm

Postby Matt Helm » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:36 pm

Colin B wrote:
Matt Helm wrote:Please "sealed" this topic...what a mess so far...?!:shock:
Respectfully, Matt

No need, it's good to read members' thoughts on this.

Yes, man what the heck?! Is it really impossible by this way. Members on our wonderful Board are ... :oops: sorry, but...
Peace&Love Matt

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:10 am

And yet another reason to keep some things sealed....mind boggling.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... tion-game/

minkahed

Postby minkahed » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 am

I have a sealed copy of, "From Memphis to Vegas/Vegas to Memphis" in front of me as I type.

Should I open it ???

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:53 am

minkahed wrote:I have a sealed copy of, "From Memphis to Vegas/Vegas to Memphis" in front of me as I type.

Should I open it ???

It's up to you.
But if it's a British pressing, yes, because they were never sealed in the first place. ;) :lol:

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:55 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:And yet another reason to keep some things sealed....mind boggling.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... tion-game/

It depends on your attitude to collecting. I've never seen my collection as an investment. It's there to be enjoyed. I only buy records, CD's etc. to play and enjoy, and if I'm not going to play it, there's no point in me having it.

Return to “Everything Elvis”