Update on Baz Luhrmann's biopic

All the Elvis you can take

John

Re: Update on Baz Luhrmann's biopic

Postby John » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:43 pm

Colin B wrote:Just got home from seeing it at the Bluewater Shopping Centre.

Highly recommended !

OK - a few chronological errors, but the 'feel' of the story was so well captured !

Soon forgot that it was Tom Hanks playing Parker who didn't get a whitewash job after all !

Austin Butler had the Elvis 'moves' down to a T, especially in the Vegas performances !

Priscilla got let off pretty lightly, with her indiscretions avoiding any mention.

Poor Scotty Moore & Bill Black had minor parts.

An enjoyable journey through his life with some bits rushed through & some kinda dwelt on !

A lot of time was spent chronicling his younger self mixing with, & getting influenced by, the Tupelo/Memphis black community.

And what an ending !

Yup, just got back too. I'd go with that.

Brilliant. Saw it at the Showcase X Plus, not an empty seat, and lots of young people there. Yes, there was a bit of artistic licence like the early gospel scene, the Little Richard scene, the Trouble scene, the firing of Parker, but if you don't know the full story, you wouldn't know. It was fantastic.

My lady, who is not an Elvis fan, thought it was great, but the story was very sad, at it was, and always will be.

The editing was amazing, the pace of the film was terrific. The way the music was presented was fine, and I even liked the mashups over the very long credits.

I'd watch this again, and I'm not one for seeing films again.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:09 pm

This week the movie is the largest crowd puller with appreciation of 7.9 out of 10.

Second and third are Top Gun and Jurassic Park.

elvis week 25.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:37 pm

I just saw on the news that Elvis tied top gun in the USA for highest gross for the weekend.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:30 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:I just saw on the news that Elvis tied top gun in the USA for highest gross for the weekend.

Yes, but Top Gun week five takings. It’s clutching at straws and it makes Elvis fans seem desperate.

They might as well say “Elvis soundtrack outsells Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours.” Although I don’t even knew if that’s true.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:38 pm

Richard wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:I just saw on the news that Elvis tied top gun in the USA for highest gross for the weekend.

Yes, but Top Gun week five takings. It’s clutching at straws and it makes Elvis fans seem desperate.

They might as well say “Elvis soundtrack outsells Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours.” Although I don’t even knew if that’s true.

I totally understand that....but I was just reporting what the news said.

Even with records the timing of the week of release is crucial to really how well it did.

Since very few films are released exactly simutaneaously, it's all we have for relative comparison.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:01 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Richard wrote:

Even with records the timing of the week of release is crucial to really how well it did.

Since very few films are released exactly simutaneaously, it's all we have for relative comparison.

I know you’re just reporting it, I wasn’t having a go at you. But fans are giving these figures the same kind of importance that were being given to Covid deaths at the start of the pandemic. It’s meaningless.

John

Postby John » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:37 pm

Richard wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Richard wrote:

I know you’re just reporting it, I wasn’t having a go at you. But fans are giving these figures the same kind of importance that were being given to Covid deaths at the start of the pandemic. It’s meaningless.

Yup, like the 1 5 billion people who watched Aloha.

Rickeap

Postby Rickeap » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:30 am

It's very impressive and I was stunned at how well they replicated his moves. The "jail or army" and firing Colonel from the stage scenes took artistic licence too far, but otherwise it was hugely entertaining. I hope good word-of-mouth keeps it at the top of the box office.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:49 am

From the Deadline website:

Elvis Film - Box Office.JPG

Here is the whole article:

https://deadline.com/2022/06/box-office ... 235052035/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:33 pm

ELVIS UK SPECIAL SCREENING - ELVIS - WARNER BROS. UK & IRELAND

Various people from the movie on the red carpet in London, and interviewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp0psqFMo9w

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:34 pm

John wrote:
Richard wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Richard wrote:

Well, I did find this on the internet.

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:59 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:
Richard wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Richard wrote:

Well, I did find this on the internet.

Well, that's all the proof I need !

John

Postby John » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:48 am

‘Elvis’ Editors on Why the King’s Performance of ‘Unchained Melody’ Almost Didn’t Make the Film

https://variety.com/2022/artisans/news/ ... 9pzsDFWP7I

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:39 am

'Elvis' Crosses $113.5 Million at Global Box Office

https://collider.com/elvis-movie-global ... 3-million/
ImageImage

elvis-fan

Postby elvis-fan » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:18 am

UPDATE:
Grosses