Update on Baz Luhrmann's biopic

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
mojo-workin

Update on Baz Luhrmann's biopic

Postby mojo-workin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:11 pm

Baz Luhrmann's forthcoming Elvis biopic (with a projected budget of over $200 million) starting filming in September in Australia. As we know, Austin Butler will play Elvis & Tom Hanks will play the Colonel - with actors confirmed for roles of Priscilla Presley, Gladys Presley, Vernon Presley, Tom Diskin, Jerry Schilling, Scotty Moore, Bill Black, Steve Binder, Sam Phillips, Marion Keisker, Charlie Hodge, Dixie Locke, Hank Snow & George Klein. Some new castings have recently been announced.

Music based roles include British singer-songwriter Yola as Sister Rosetta Tharpe as well as Kelvin Harrison Jr as BB King, Alton Mason as Little Richard, Grammy award winning singer-songwriter/guitarist Gary Clark Jr as Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup and Shonka Dukureh as Big Mama Thornton.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/elvis-gary-clark-jr-yola-baz-luhrmann-warner-bros-1234681671/

It's worth noting that Luhrmann was in Nashville in late 2019 (at what used to be RCA Studio A) to record part of the film's score with producer Dave Cobb. The session featured Yola, Shonka Dukureh, Shannon Sanders + the Nashville Urban Choir, Les Greene, Lenesha Randolph + Jordan Holland (with Austin Butler in attendance).

Photos of the session (from Luhrmann's instagram account):

Luhrmann with producer Dave Cobb
IMG_3450.jpg

Singer Les Greene
IMG_3451.jpg

Singer-Songwriter Yola
IMG_3452.jpg

Singer Shonka Dukureh
IMG_3453.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

Luhrmann with Dave Cobb & all singers/musicians, Austin Butler to the right
IMG_3455.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mountain Mist

Re: Update on Baz Luhrmann's biopic

Postby Mountain Mist » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:48 pm

Really good, thank you.

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:52 pm

I have a feeling this is going to be a stylised film along the lines of 'Moulin Rouge'.
I have a feeling lots of Elvis fans will be very disappointed.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:03 pm

TonyS wrote:I have a feeling this is going to be a stylised film along the lines of 'Moulin Rouge'.

A fresh approach might be quite...... err....... refreshing....
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:07 pm

TonyS wrote:I have a feeling this is going to be a stylised film along the lines of 'Moulin Rouge'.

You must be a clairvoyant because I am already disappointed.

Just like the Searcher, why do the studios spend tons of money on these productions when they
could go into the vaults and retrieve footage from 1970 and 1972 of the real thing.
It's already been filmed!!!!!!

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:18 pm

I have to agree.

I cannot think of a Baz Luhrmann film, for my taste, that is enjoyable.

"Australia" was boring, a previous riding instructor of my son's, Ruth, and Paul, her partner, who broke one of our horses in, were behind the scenes wranglers with the horses on the film; therefore, I really tried to watch the horses in "Australia", I just couldn't, it was impossible, the film was that bad.

"Strictly Boring (Ballroom)" was embarrassing. Most Australians are not like that, it was awful. When my son went through high school, it was a film that he had to do a review on. He asked his male teacher if he could choose another film, (my son's teacher said "yes") the film is that bad.

I really enjoy Nicole Kidman's acting. After the second movie, "Australia", that Nicole and Baz filmed together, she and Baz agreed that "Australia" would be their last film; Nicole said in an interview that it is because something unfortunate happens when they film together, that is why.

Therefore, if Baz did not change his style for Nicole, perhaps he won't for Tom Hanks. However, Tom Hanks, with all respect to Nicole, may have more pull and being more outgoing than Nicole, in some ways, may pull this film off, as I cannot see Tom not having a strong opinion and saying 'nahhhh'. Fingers crossed. If not for Tom, I think the film would be.......

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:21 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:

You must be a clairvoyant because I am already disappointed.

Just like the Searcher, why do the studios spend tons of money on these productions when they
could go into the vaults and retrieve footage from 1970 and 1972 of the real thing.
It's already been filmed!!!!!!

I don't understand why Baz Luhrmann is so highly regarded in the film industry.

Baz must be a really nice guy, with some really incredible connections, that is the only thing I can think of.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:23 pm

Colin B wrote:

A fresh approach might be quite...... err....... refreshing....

The man who plays Elvis overacting, Cilla (as in Nicole in a movie with Baz) swinging from the beams, people overdoing their lip movement when they speak, over pronouncing words, corny storyline, yep, while we all have a snooze.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Topic author
mojo-workin

Postby mojo-workin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:38 pm

Luhrmann's last project "The Get Down" - a Netflix music drama about the birth of hip-hop was really well received (especially amongst dedicated hip-hop fans). It was less stylised that his previous work (but still stylish). It was produced with great attention to historical detail & definitely had a lot of substance.

Because of this, i'm reserving judgement on the EP film until it's released.
Last edited by mojo-workin on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:09 am

mojo-workin wrote:Luhrmann's last project "The Get Down" - a Netflix music drama about the birth of hip-hop was really well received (especially amongst dedicated hip-hop fans). It was less stylised that his previous work (but still stylish). It was produced with great attention to historical detail & definitely a had a lot of substance.

Because of this, i'm reserving judgement on the EP film until is released.

Thank you for that.

Fingers crossed.

:D

Topic author
mojo-workin

Postby mojo-workin » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:37 am

Mountain Mist wrote:
mojo-workin wrote:Luhrmann's last project "The Get Down" - a Netflix music drama about the birth of hip-hop was really well received (especially amongst dedicated hip-hop fans). It was less stylised that his previous work (but still stylish). It was produced with great attention to historical detail & definitely a had a lot of substance.

Thank you for that.

Fingers crossed.

Absolutely! Because Luhrman began research for the film in 2014, including spending 18 months at the Graceland/EPE Archives, interviewing several people like Sam Bell (Elvis' friend in Tupelo) - you get the impression he wants to get it right. Let's hope he does ;)

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:45 am

mojo-workin wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:

Thank you for that.

Fingers crossed.

Absolutely! Because Luhrman began research for the film in 2014, including spending 18 months at the Graceland/EPE Archives, interviewing several people like Sam Bell (Elvis' friend in Tupelo) - you get the impression he wants to get it right. Let's hope he does ;)

I have heard some of Sam Bell's memory and he is 80+ years old and he is getting history mixed up and wrong.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:06 am

Baz Luhrmann interviewed Sam Bell.

Originally posted by our Sus/Stan (Suspicious Minds). The Youtube interview has since been removed by Vimeo and Youtube (or the like):

https://vimeo.com/392740660

(If you want this video, perhaps download it before it disappears again, as per the other downloads).
Last edited by Mountain Mist on Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:26 am

I have seen that video and another one, and he is wrong.
The whole area had changed and he got it mixed up.
I don't have time to go into this again, but
his memory is wrong.
I recall Tonys and I both agreed on this.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:42 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:I have seen that video and another one, and he is wrong.
The whole area had changed and he got it mixed up.
I don't have time to go into this again, but
his memory is wrong.
I recall Tonys and I both agreed on this.

How could you know more than the person who:

1) Owned the land and pasture around this area (which was divided by a freeway)
2) The man who literally lived there?

The area was divided by a freeway, hence, perhaps, confusion.

When I was a kid, depending on where I played, I either was on a push bike with friends, or horseriding.

We all knew the area we lived, like the back of our hands.

Return to “Everything Elvis”