New Sinatra Show sound source !

All the Elvis you can take

minkahed

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby minkahed » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:26 am

I remember reading a couple of years back that the Frank Sinatra estate and Frank Sinatra himself stating something about Frank always wanted everything filmed or secured on video for times sake, and the Elvis show would be no exception.

Just like someone mentioned earlier the 1960 Timex special does seem inferior to some of the Ed Sullivan shows and, for that matter, the Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey shows as well.

While I think that Elvis singing "Stuck on You/ Fame and Fortune" is essential and quite beautiful, The quality of the visual experience leaves a lot to be desired.

Ryan73

Postby Ryan73 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:45 am

JimmyCool wrote:
Ryan73 wrote:It doesn't look like it from the video sample but I wish they would have used the technology employed on the Sullvian shows as those were vast improvements. I remember oh so many years ago that someone was offering the first so many Dorsey Show appearances and they were cleaned up. I think you paid so much money per clip? Was quite awhile ago but i remember how remarkable the footage looked.

For both Dorsey and The Ed Sullivan Shows the audio and kinescope footage were restored by LiveFeed Video Imaging, and the results were really awesome. Unfortunately, the Frank Sinatra Estate was not interested and never solicited any LiveFeed restoration.

The guy behind LiveFeed is Kevin Segura (a/k/a General Sarnoff).

Ah right...LiveFeed. I thought maybe that was the name of it, but wasn't sure of it. Am I the only one that remembers many many years ago that upgraded clips of the Dorsey show were available for a price? I think they did about 3 and then for whatever reason they stopped offering them. No idea where I put those clips but the result was magic. As pointed out above, it's hard to see that the Sinatra special would be worse than kinescopes from the 50s but who knows. Still, running it through the Livefeed process couldn't make it any worse I suppose. Here's to wishful thinking that one day they redo all those 50s performances and the Sinatra show.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:06 am

Ryan73 wrote:...Am I the only one that remembers many many years ago that upgraded clips of the Dorsey show were available for a price?
I think they did about 3 and then for whatever reason they stopped offering them...

That was back in 2009.

It was going to be an on-going weekly thing.

The first week, we got Shake, Rattle & Roll & I Got a Woman from the first Dorsey show on 28th January, 1956.

The second week, we got Baby, Let's Play House & Tutti Frutti from the second Dorsey show on 4th February, 1956.

Then it stopped & we got no more.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:32 pm

Colin B wrote:
Ryan73 wrote:...Am I the only one that remembers many many years ago that upgraded clips of the Dorsey show were available for a price?
I think they did about 3 and then for whatever reason they stopped offering them...

That was back in 2009.

The first week, we got Shake, Rattle & Roll & I Got a Woman from the first Dorsey show on 28th January, 1956.

The second week, we got Baby, Let's Play House & Tutti Frutti from the second Dorsey show on 4th February, 1956.

Because.... I’m lead to believe/was told that the ‘Gleason Corps/estate’ got wind of it and put a stop to it.
I don’t know how true that is, but they won’t license out their Elvis footage anymore.
I suspect there’s a conflict with EPE, I can’t prove it and I only have hearsay, but it really wouldn’t surprise me.

Ryan73

Postby Ryan73 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:19 pm

Colin B wrote:

That was back in 2009.

Ah yes that's right. My memory is foggy but it seemed pretty impressive at the time and was so disappointed when they stopped. thanks for that

Ryan73

Postby Ryan73 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:20 pm

TonyS wrote:
Colin B wrote:

That was back in 2009.

Because.... I’m lead to believe/was told that the ‘Gleason Corps/estate’ got wind of it and put a stop to it.
I don’t know how true that is, but they won’t license out their Elvis footage anymore.
I suspect there’s a conflict with EPE, I can’t prove it and I only have hearsay, but it really wouldn’t surprise me.

That would definitely make sense then. Man, I really wish these golden performances would be restored in my lifetime.

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 am

Ryan73 wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Colin B wrote:

That was back in 2009.

That would definitely make sense then. Man, I really wish these golden performances would be restored in my lifetime.

Imagine a time, before video, DVD, Blu-Ray, or the existence of the internet, where you lived in a country that they were never even shown on TV !
Moving forward to 1968 and then 1973, imagine knowing about his ‘TV Special’ and then ‘Aloha From Hawaii’ and those not being shown on TV in your country until after Elvis died either ?
It’s little wonder the fan club(s) and certain collectors that had 16mm film prints of these shows from the USA became well known and loved within the Elvis community.
In fact it was the UK Elvis fan club and Todd Slaughter that got permission from Colonel Parker for the very first showing of the 68 TV Special outside of the USA, and THAT was quite a scoop back in the day.
I remember purchasing the ‘Hound Dog’ performance from the June 5th Milton Berle show on Super 8mm back in the early 80’s and that was mind blowing to see for the first time.
I still have that reel and screen it occasionally.
It’s all too easy and disposable these days IMO, we’ve lost the thrill of the hunt and the excitement and appreciation of finding these things to ‘own’ as part of our collections.
That’s probably why I enjoyed the recent ‘Sinatra show’ acetates discovery so much.
To coin a well known phrase, the youngsters today don’t know they’re born, it’s all too easy now.

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:23 pm

TonyS wrote:
Ryan73 wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Colin B wrote:

That was back in 2009.

Imagine a time, before video, DVD, Blu-Ray, or the existence of the internet, where you lived in a country that they were never even shown on TV !
Moving forward to 1968 and then 1973, imagine knowing about his ‘TV Special’ and then ‘Aloha From Hawaii’ and those not being shown on TV in your country until after Elvis died either ?
It’s little wonder the fan club(s) and certain collectors that had 16mm film prints of these shows from the USA became well known and loved within the Elvis community.
In fact it was the UK Elvis fan club and Todd Slaughter that got permission from Colonel Parker for the very first showing of the 68 TV Special outside of the USA, and THAT was quite a scoop back in the day.
I remember purchasing the ‘Hound Dog’ performance from the June 5th Milton Berle show on Super 8mm back in the early 80’s and that was mind blowing to see for the first time.
It’s all too easy and disposable these days IMO, we’ve lost the thrill of the hunt and the excitement and appreciation of finding these things to ‘own’ as part of our collections.
That’s probably why I enjoyed the recent ‘Sinatra show’ acetates discovery so much.
To coin a well known phrase, the youngsters today don’t know they’re born, it’s all too easy now.

I agree. But in many ways it was more fun when things were hard to get - and much more rewarding if you were able to get them.

Incidentally, I saw the '68 Special at a fan convention in Paris, in the summer of 1969. I'm virtually certain that was before Todd Slaughter got hold of a copy to screen - otherwise I wouldn't have travelled all the way to Paris to see it !

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:22 pm

STEVE MORSE wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Ryan73 wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Colin B wrote:

That was back in 2009.

I agree. But in many ways it was more fun when things were hard to get - and much more rewarding if you were able to get them.

Incidentally, I saw the '68 Special at a fan convention in Paris, in the summer of 1969. I'm virtually certain that was before Todd Slaughter got hold of a copy to screen - otherwise I wouldn't have travelled all the way to Paris to see it !

Yep, it was more fun when things were hard to get, 100% agree.
As for Todd….
A8E315A5-29EC-4430-99D3-169C8B5F92CE.jpeg

John

Postby John » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:39 pm

TonyS wrote:
STEVE MORSE wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Ryan73 wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Colin B wrote:

That was back in 2009.

Yep, it was more fun when things were hard to get, 100% agree.
As for Todd….
A8E315A5-29EC-4430-99D3-169C8B5F92CE.jpeg

Mr Slaughter, a man, who in my experience doesn't even have the manners to say thank you. Had he done so, he would have benefited from receiving even more information than he was sent.

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:14 pm

He asked for suggestions to help him out, he asked for anyone with any ideas to talk to him, I politely gave him what I thought was a good idea on the balcony at the DeMontfort Hall in Leicester only to be told F OFF, I suppose I should be grateful for that as I did. :)
Last edited by TonyS on Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John

Postby John » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:15 pm

John wrote:Mr Slaughter, a man, who in my experience doesn't even have the manners to say thank you. Had he done so, he would have benefited from receiving even more information than he was sent.
TonyS wrote:He asked for suggestions to help him out, he asked for anyone with any ideas to talk to him, I politely gave him what I thought was a good idea on the balcony at the DeMontfort Hall in Leicester only to be told F OFF, I suppose I should be grateful for that as I did. :)

Charming chap!

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:33 pm

John wrote:Mr Slaughter, a man, who in my experience doesn't even have the manners to say thank you. Had he done so, he would have benefited from receiving even more information than he was sent.
TonyS wrote:He asked for suggestions to help him out, he asked for anyone with any ideas to talk to him, I politely gave him what I thought was a good idea on the balcony at the DeMontfort Hall in Leicester only to be told F OFF, I suppose I should be grateful for that as I did. :)
John wrote:Charming chap!

I realised Todd Slaughter was held in low esteem by some, but I never [before now] sussed out quite why that was...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:57 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:Charming chap!

I realised Todd Slaughter was held in low esteem by some, but I never [before now] sussed out quite why that was...

It's possible there are other reasons.

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:11 pm

I had some run-ins with Todd - correspondence in those days. I can't really remember why, now, but it may well have been to do with Elvis product that he has always sold at way over a fair/market price. Not a friendly man and there has always been a hint of too much self-importance.

Return to “Everything Elvis”