New Sinatra Show sound source !

All the Elvis you can take
User avatar

John
Posts: 20669
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 4149 times
Been thanked: 5463 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby John » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:44 pm

STEVE MORSE wrote:I had some run-ins with Todd - correspondence in those days. I can't really remember why, now, but it may well have been to do with Elvis product that he has always sold at way over a fair/market price. Not a friendly man and there has always been a hint of too much self-importance.

He met Elvis don't you know?

User avatar

Colin B
Posts: 22652
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 5360 times
Been thanked: 5517 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby Colin B » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:26 pm

STEVE MORSE wrote:I had some run-ins with Todd - correspondence in those days.
I can't really remember why, now, but it may well have been to do with Elvis product that he has always sold at way over a fair/market price.
Not a friendly man and there has always been a hint of too much self-importance.
John wrote:He met Elvis don't you know?


I do remember he described Elvis being in a dire physical & mental state when they met for the last time, a description which was shown to be a wild exaggeration when photos later appeared...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B


Mountain Mist
Posts: 14524
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:06 pm
Has thanked: 9882 times
Been thanked: 7740 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby Mountain Mist » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:46 pm

Colin B wrote:
STEVE MORSE wrote:I had some run-ins with Todd - correspondence in those days.
I can't really remember why, now, but it may well have been to do with Elvis product that he has always sold at way over a fair/market price.
Not a friendly man and there has always been a hint of too much self-importance.
John wrote:He met Elvis don't you know?


I do remember he described Elvis being in a dire physical & mental state when they met for the last time, a description which was shown to be a wild exaggeration when photos later appeared...



I thought that this vision on Todd Slaughter, and Elvis, might be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZAGKPPE0kM


cadillac-elvis
Posts: 3656
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:16 am
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 1099 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:34 am

I thought that piece was shot by CBS for the TV special.
I guess I assumed and was wrong.


Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3936 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby TonyS » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:50 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:I thought that piece was shot by CBS for the TV special.
I guess I assumed and was wrong.

Well, technically, it probably was.
Todd says he paid a cameraman $100 to shoot it, so I suspect it was a CBS/news cameraman that was already there ?
If not, which news cameraman was it and from where, and how did that cameraman get such close access ?

User avatar

STEVE MORSE
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:50 am
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Has thanked: 395 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby STEVE MORSE » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:12 pm

TonyS wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:I thought that piece was shot by CBS for the TV special.
I guess I assumed and was wrong.

Well, technically, it probably was.
Todd says he paid a cameraman $100 to shoot it, so I suspect it was a CBS/news cameraman that was already there ?
If not, which news cameraman was it and from where, and how did that cameraman get such close access ?


I know a 'doctor' who claims to solve mysteries . . .


Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3936 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby TonyS » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:28 pm

STEVE MORSE wrote:
TonyS wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:I thought that piece was shot by CBS for the TV special.
I guess I assumed and was wrong.

Well, technically, it probably was.
Todd says he paid a cameraman $100 to shoot it, so I suspect it was a CBS/news cameraman that was already there ?
If not, which news cameraman was it and from where, and how did that cameraman get such close access ?


I know a 'doctor' who claims to solve mysteries . . .

If it’s going to take ELEVEN years to get nowhere, forget it ! :roll: :lol:
And at least I can say that here without getting suspended. ;)

User avatar

John
Posts: 20669
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 4149 times
Been thanked: 5463 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby John » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:05 pm

TonyS wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:I thought that piece was shot by CBS for the TV special.
I guess I assumed and was wrong.

Well, technically, it probably was.
Todd says he paid a cameraman $100 to shoot it, so I suspect it was a CBS/news cameraman that was already there ?
If not, which news cameraman was it and from where, and how did that cameraman get such close access ?

In the same way I got this close access on Sunday when I was shooting a video. This is a still from the video. I was around 30 feet away, at least.

received_508108397003006.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3936 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby TonyS » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:06 am

John wrote:
TonyS wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:I thought that piece was shot by CBS for the TV special.
I guess I assumed and was wrong.

Well, technically, it probably was.
Todd says he paid a cameraman $100 to shoot it, so I suspect it was a CBS/news cameraman that was already there ?
If not, which news cameraman was it and from where, and how did that cameraman get such close access ?

In the same way I got this close access on Sunday when I was shooting a video. This is a still from the video. I was around 30 feet away, at least.

received_508108397003006.jpeg

But this was in 1977, a cameraman with his professional camera back then simply couldn’t have been missed regardless of where he was stood.

User avatar

John
Posts: 20669
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 4149 times
Been thanked: 5463 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby John » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 am

TonyS wrote:
John wrote:
TonyS wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:I thought that piece was shot by CBS for the TV special.
I guess I assumed and was wrong.

Well, technically, it probably was.
Todd says he paid a cameraman $100 to shoot it, so I suspect it was a CBS/news cameraman that was already there ?
If not, which news cameraman was it and from where, and how did that cameraman get such close access ?

In the same way I got this close access on Sunday when I was shooting a video. This is a still from the video. I was around 30 feet away, at least.

received_508108397003006.jpeg

But this was in 1977, a cameraman with his professional camera back then simply couldn’t have been missed regardless of where he was stood.

No one's denying he was there. The fact is he could still have zoomed in, even in 1977.


Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3936 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby TonyS » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:15 pm

John wrote:
TonyS wrote:
John wrote:
TonyS wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:I thought that piece was shot by CBS for the TV special.
I guess I assumed and was wrong.

Well, technically, it probably was.
Todd says he paid a cameraman $100 to shoot it, so I suspect it was a CBS/news cameraman that was already there ?
If not, which news cameraman was it and from where, and how did that cameraman get such close access ?

In the same way I got this close access on Sunday when I was shooting a video. This is a still from the video. I was around 30 feet away, at least.

received_508108397003006.jpeg

But this was in 1977, a cameraman with his professional camera back then simply couldn’t have been missed regardless of where he was stood.

No one's denying he was there. The fact is he could still have zoomed in, even in 1977.

What I’m trying to say is I believe it was a CBS cameraman.

User avatar

John
Posts: 20669
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 4149 times
Been thanked: 5463 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby John » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:09 pm

TonyS wrote:
John wrote:
TonyS wrote:
John wrote:
TonyS wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:I thought that piece was shot by CBS for the TV special.
I guess I assumed and was wrong.

Well, technically, it probably was.
Todd says he paid a cameraman $100 to shoot it, so I suspect it was a CBS/news cameraman that was already there ?
If not, which news cameraman was it and from where, and how did that cameraman get such close access ?

In the same way I got this close access on Sunday when I was shooting a video. This is a still from the video. I was around 30 feet away, at least.

received_508108397003006.jpeg

But this was in 1977, a cameraman with his professional camera back then simply couldn’t have been missed regardless of where he was stood.

No one's denying he was there. The fact is he could still have zoomed in, even in 1977.

What I’m trying to say is I believe it was a CBS cameraman.

Very possibly.


Mike C
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:23 pm
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby Mike C » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:13 am

TonyS wrote:E9EF399B-2A0D-40AF-93BF-28F724AFA2A7.jpeg


Does this mean Memphis Mansion is preparing a DVD for release?


Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3936 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby TonyS » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:41 am

Mike C wrote:
Does this mean Memphis Mansion is preparing a DVD for release?

https://www.memphismansion.dk/shop/elvi ... estilling/

And as a ‘bonus’ feature, this.
MM DVD PROMO 2.mp4


Ryan73
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: New Sinatra Show sound source !

Postby Ryan73 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:16 pm

STEVE MORSE wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Ryan73 wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Colin B wrote:
Ryan73 wrote:...Am I the only one that remembers many many years ago that upgraded clips of the Dorsey show were available for a price?
I think they did about 3 and then for whatever reason they stopped offering them...


That was back in 2009.

It was going to be an on-going weekly thing.

The first week, we got Shake, Rattle & Roll & I Got a Woman from the first Dorsey show on 28th January, 1956.

The second week, we got Baby, Let's Play House & Tutti Frutti from the second Dorsey show on 4th February, 1956.

Then it stopped & we got no more.


Because.... I’m lead to believe/was told that the ‘Gleason Corps/estate’ got wind of it and put a stop to it.
I don’t know how true that is, but they won’t license out their Elvis footage anymore.
I suspect there’s a conflict with EPE, I can’t prove it and I only have hearsay, but it really wouldn’t surprise me.


That would definitely make sense then. Man, I really wish these golden performances would be restored in my lifetime.

Imagine a time, before video, DVD, Blu-Ray, or the existence of the internet, where you lived in a country that they were never even shown on TV !
Moving forward to 1968 and then 1973, imagine knowing about his ‘TV Special’ and then ‘Aloha From Hawaii’ and those not being shown on TV in your country until after Elvis died either ?
It’s little wonder the fan club(s) and certain collectors that had 16mm film prints of these shows from the USA became well known and loved within the Elvis community.
In fact it was the UK Elvis fan club and Todd Slaughter that got permission from Colonel Parker for the very first showing of the 68 TV Special outside of the USA, and THAT was quite a scoop back in the day.
I remember purchasing the ‘Hound Dog’ performance from the June 5th Milton Berle show on Super 8mm back in the early 80’s and that was mind blowing to see for the first time.
I still have that reel and screen it occasionally.
It’s all too easy and disposable these days IMO, we’ve lost the thrill of the hunt and the excitement and appreciation of finding these things to ‘own’ as part of our collections.
That’s probably why I enjoyed the recent ‘Sinatra show’ acetates discovery so much.
To coin a well known phrase, the youngsters today don’t know they’re born, it’s all too easy now.


I agree. But in many ways it was more fun when things were hard to get - and much more rewarding if you were able to get them.

Incidentally, I saw the '68 Special at a fan convention in Paris, in the summer of 1969. I'm virtually certain that was before Todd Slaughter got hold of a copy to screen - otherwise I wouldn't have travelled all the way to Paris to see it !


Ha I agree with this. I remember back in the 80s stumbling upon an issue of Goldmine that had an article on some supposed recordings of Elvis in Paris. At the back of the issue were classifieds and through that I met Larry Patrick. Again I"ve heard good and bad things about him, but at the time I was able to get the CBS special, the outtakes, the 68 special outtakes and a bunch of 8mm vegas footage. Through him I met a bunch of collectors and acquired a bunch of imports. Back then, nothing was expected. You didn't know what was out there or what existed and if so...IF you could even get a copy. Nowadays, you know an ftd is around the corner and as soon as the announcement is made, people start asking what the next one will be. It's not a complaint about ftd but just how time and attitudes have changed. The thrill of the hunt was half the fun back in the day.


Return to “Everything Elvis”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MysteryTrain, pezzmaj and 4 guests