What made you a fan and did Elvis lead you to discover other music?

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
John

Re: What made you a fan and did Elvis lead you to discover other music?

Postby John » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Russ 55 wrote:It was entertaining but a lot of it was mixed up timeline wise.

Yes it was, but if they didn't do that, it would have been about 5 hours long.

redcoat

Postby redcoat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:39 pm

In 1958 my dad trained as a cinema projectionist and the first film that he showed was King Creole, so he bought the single. I came along in 1964 and my mum tells the story that when I was three she would sit me in front of a portable record player that had a stack of 45s on it. I would watch the discs spinning .... life was so simple. But everyone noticed that I reacted to Elvis (no matter which side was on), rocking on my ass and waving my arms. So that became my record. I joined the fan club in 1973 and still adding to my collection regularly.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:40 am

My dad was a big elvis fan. It was early 70s he had LPs and 45s he played on his record player . Some of which I found after he passed away. I loved elvis voice, I had a few favourite songs ...Wooden Heart, return to sender. To name but a few. I loved elvis and his music since. Even on his deathbed we were singing elvis. I Remember him being ill, bed bound . Myself and my sister blaring out elvis and singing. My dad joined into. :D
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

ElizaDoolittle

Postby ElizaDoolittle » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:53 pm

Hello everybody!

I've just joined the forum, and I've thought I'd introduce myself on this thread.

I was born in 1974 in Spain, and for me, Elvis has always been there, and I've always liked him. My first remembrance of him is hearing "Moody Blue" on the radio, and although it's of course possible that I heard it years after it came out, the place where I remember hearing it (a beach made by dumping sand by the bank of the river where my grandparents lived) makes it 1978 at the most, and probably earlier.

I cannot say what made me an Elvis fan. We didn't have a turntable at home, and I remember that my first Elvis record was a compilation a friend from university transferred from his CD to a cassette tape for me. Years afterwards I bought that same compilation (this one). Anyway, the first Elvis CD I ever bought was "The All Time Greatest Hits", which has remained my favourite compilation ever since.

See you all over here!
The rine in Spine sties minely in the pline.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:27 pm

ElizaDoolittle wrote:Hello everybody!

I've just joined the forum, and I've thought I'd introduce myself on this thread.

I was born in 1974 in Spain, and for me, Elvis has always been there, and I've always liked him. My first remembrance of him is hearing "Moody Blue" on the radio, and although it's of course possible that I heard it years after it came out, the place where I remember hearing it (a beach made by dumping sand by the bank of the river where my grandparents lived) makes it 1978 at the most, and probably earlier.

I cannot say what made me an Elvis fan. We didn't have a turntable at home, and I remember that my first Elvis record was a compilation a friend from university transferred from his CD to a cassette tape for me. Years afterwards I bought that same compilation (this one). Anyway, the first Elvis CD I ever bought was "The All Time Greatest Hits", which has remained my favourite compilation ever since.

See you all over here!

Hi ElizaDoolittle,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for introducing yourself, and for your story.

I hope you enjoy your time here and we look forward to your participation.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:55 pm

I've just joined the forum, and I've thought I'd introduce myself on this thread...

...See you all over here!

"By Jove, I think she's got it !

A warm welcome, ElizaDoolittle !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

ElizaDoolittle

Postby ElizaDoolittle » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:09 am

Thanks for the welcome! I can already see this is a forum packed with information and kind people! A good place to spend time in!
The rine in Spine sties minely in the pline.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:14 pm

ElizaDoolittle wrote:Thanks for the welcome! I can already see this is a forum packed with information and kind people! A good place to spend time in!

It is a good place. There's very little disruption, and if occasionally it gets out of hand, it gets dealt with pretty quickly.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:41 pm

ElizaDoolittle wrote:Thanks for the welcome! I can already see this is a forum packed with information and kind people! A good place to spend time in!

Just don't post no reverse pictures and everything will be all right.

Only kidding. ;)

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:48 am

See you all over here!

Welcome. Eliza.

Your recollection was so lovely to read.

I also bought a "Greatest Hits", and was very happy at the time (gosh it wasn't enough to have that "little" music of Elvis' though, was it?) lol ;) :D

Take care, and we can all chat more.

tokyojoe

Postby tokyojoe » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:13 pm

I'm not sure how or why but I just developed a liking for Elvis, rock'n'roll music and style when I was about 8 or 9 back the mid 1970s. Elvis 40 Greatest, watching the Fonz in Happy Days, liking Showaddywaddy etc.

By about 12 I'd be into Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee, the Everlys and by mid teens Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran and Wanda Jackson as well.

There was rock'n' roll on the radio with Stuart Colman's show or the Friday Night Cruise on Capital Radio ; there would a fairly liberal sprinkling in mainstream radio - even Terry Wogan used to play things like Fabulous by Charlie Gracie or Jerry Foster's version of Don't Let Go.

Elvis films were on the TV constantly, while rockabilly revival music was in the charts. By the mid/late 80's I used to go to the London rockin' clubs and as well as Elvis and all the other rock'n'roll greats, there was a deep dig into scarcer 40s, 50s music and that's never really passed. Grab a copy of Now Dig This each month.

As well as liking Elvis, I still like those who can perform in a similar vocal style , though not impersonating. Jerry King, Johnny Earl, Paul Ansell and Go Cat Go have made some very good Elvis styled songs at times.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:11 am

tokyojoe wrote:I'm not sure how or why but I just developed a liking for Elvis, rock'n'roll music and style when I was about 8 or 9 back the mid 1970s. Elvis 40 Greatest, watching the Fonz in Happy Days, liking Showaddywaddy etc.

By about 12 I'd be into Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee, the Everlys and by mid teens Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran and Wanda Jackson as well.

There was rock'n' roll on the radio with Stuart Colman's show or the Friday Night Cruise on Capital Radio ; there would a fairly liberal sprinkling in mainstream radio - even Terry Wogan used to play things like Fabulous by Charlie Gracie or Jerry Foster's version of Don't Let Go.

Elvis films were on the TV constantly, while rockabilly revival music was in the charts. By the mid/late 80's I used to go to the London rockin' clubs and as well as Elvis and all the other rock'n'roll greats, there was a deep dig into scarcer 40s, 50s music and that's never really passed. Grab a copy of Now Dig This each month.

As well as liking Elvis, I still like those who can perform in a similar vocal style , though not impersonating. Jerry King, Johnny Earl, Paul Ansell and Go Cat Go have made some very good Elvis styled songs at times.

Stuart Colman's show was fantastic. I used to record them all, but have only kept 3 or 4 where he interviewed people like Mae Exton or Shakin' Stevens.

Sadly Stuart died in 2018 in Cheltenham.

HD_RES

Postby HD_RES » Wed May 05, 2021 5:10 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Russ 55 wrote:I’m also a huge Queen fan. Back in 1979 I heard Crazy Little Thing Called Love, i thought it was Elvis when I heard it on the radio ! I was aware of Queen at the time and I think it was the first record I bought. I went on to buy everything available.
Just like Elvis there are many many recordings most people never hear apart from the usual mainstream stuff on the radio. (Though YouTube has
changed a lot of that ).

I just can't stand Queen, and the omnipresence of their music is hard to swallow. Sorry, but this is how I feel. That recent biopic has been the icing on the cake.

I think they were a fantastic band, and the biopic was tremendous.

I really like some of the recordings by Queen and have a playlist on Spotify but I cant hear any albums from start to the end....im not that of a big fan.
I also recently watched 2 concerts from the 80s on bluray and was amazed about what I saw....and video and audio quality was stunning.

roadrunner131

Postby roadrunner131 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:53 am

I was Born in 1958, My father was a huge Elvis fan. In 1962, he bought me my first 45 with a small record player to play it.. Good Luck Charm B/W Anything That's Part of You...Still have it to this day in original sleeve....Told me to take care of my records, they would be worth something one day...Went to see him 3 times. Las Vegas August 24th 1974 Dinner Show. LA Forum May 11th 1974 afternoon show and then Atlanta Omni, Dec 30th 1976...All Great Shows. Loving the forum.....Dad bought me a guitar when I was 7 and still play to this..So Elvis inspired me to music..Listening and playing....

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Mon May 10, 2021 9:37 am

roadrunner131 wrote:I was Born in 1958, My father was a huge Elvis fan. In 1962, he bought me my first 45 with a small record player to play it.. Good Luck Charm B/W Anything That's Part of You...Still have it to this day in original sleeve....Told me to take care of my records, they would be worth something one day...Went to see him 3 times. Las Vegas August 24th 1974 Dinner Show. LA Forum May 11th 1974 afternoon show and then Atlanta Omni, Dec 30th 1976...All Great Shows. Loving the forum.....Dad bought me a guitar when I was 7 and still play to this..So Elvis inspired me to music..Listening and playing....

Welcome, roadrunner131.

Return to “Everything Elvis”