Two outstanding performances near the end

All the Elvis you can take

skabillyrebels

Re: Two outstanding performances near the end

Postby skabillyrebels » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:06 pm

Colin B wrote:Yesterday, I politely asked you two to 'move on'.

Please do so.

Otherwise steps will be taken.

i was not involved with bob until today. so yesterday had nothing to do with me.
"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:10 pm

skabillyrebels wrote:

Please do so.

i was not involved with bob until today. so yesterday had nothing to do with me.

"yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away"

I am trying to lighten things up around here.

It seems this always happens, no matter what forum, when it comes to debates about 1977 performances.

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

like i said everyone's got their favourite songs or year when it comes Elvis and they are entitled to that.
without dirty comments being made about them or am i missing something here like good manners and etiquette.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:01 pm

Please do so.

i was not involved with bob until today. so yesterday had nothing to do with me.[/quote]

I didn't mention any names.

A case of 'if the cap fits' really.

Let's all get along in a friendly manner.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:23 pm

A case of 'if the cap fits' really.

know Colin it not if the cap fits.
No one should be allowed to use sexually suggestive statements to anyone and get away with time and time again.
you can only take so much crap from someone like that.

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:29 pm

Colin B wrote:OK guys, you'll have to agree to disagree on this one & move on.

Please.

By the way you were involved with bob yesterday and not me untll today
https://www.theelvisforum-phoenix.com/v ... 4&start=15

So as before he will get away with it and someone else will take the blame for it all.
when the posts get so mixed up that know one can make heads or tails out of it all as to who started all this crap.

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:55 pm

Please do so.

you politely asked Bob and athletic_forever to 'move on' lets get this right.

Elvisinvegas

Postby Elvisinvegas » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:42 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:
Elvisinvegas wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:I have to say that these two songs by Elvis are awful.

"Hurt" is just a bombastic bellow of a mess. Imo Elvis had lost the magic in his voice (70s) i think he knew his singing wasn't as good anymore. The bombastic bellowing, to me at least, was a way of bringing his voice out more due to the lack of it, and kind of "showing off" when he used to reprise it at his live shows. I don't like the song anyhow.

"Unchained Melody" was obviously based on his hero's Roy Hamilton version. But Roy's was certainly a better performance. Had Elvis done it 10 years earlier, say with Chips Moman, the results would have been so much better than the dreadful CBS version. That said, my favourite version of the song is by the Rightious Brothers.

So, can you pin point when he "lost the magic in his voice".....1972? 1973? 1974? 1975? 1976? or 1977?

And if you can, can you pinpoint the month? For example you might think he was good in feb. 1972 but by June he wasn't good anymore.

Or you might hate the 70's all of it...in its jumpsuit glory...

So, maybe you think he peaked in 1968?

All fans are different.

I don't look at the years per se', I just look at each song or performance on it's own merit.
In fact I like his 1977 versions of "My way" better than the one in 1973.
And I like his 1976 live version of "The first time ever I saw your face" better than his 1971 studio version
And there are other anomalies that pop up from time to time. it all depends on what it is.

My opinion though, is words like "Aweful" should be saved for things like, "Hey hey hey", or "Hey little girl", or "Old macdonald".

He lost his voice on September 24th, 1971 at 1: 15 and 27 seconds in the morning exactly.

Seriously now. I think Elvis' voice, starting in 1970, had lost a lot of its appeal. Even with the crappy movie songs his voice sounded so much better than any of the crap he recorded in the 70s. He just got lazier and lazier and it shows in the recordings he did in the 70s. Even some of the half decent performances like, "Merry Christmas Baby" and "Promised Land" his voice is not top notch.

That's my opinion, anyway. And yes, i don't like the 70s jumpsuit Elvis, i think he lost a lot of his appeal, even as a charismatic performer. He just didn't do much for me in the 70s. The music and song choices just all went down hill.

I think that is a little unfair, he was certainly on top form live performing up until 1972. IMO he started his decline from 1973 but in between 1971-1973 he wasn’t as consistent as he had previously been. For example I think he sounded better in some early 73 sessions than he did in 71.

I do agree with you that he was a good performer up til 72 then after that it was down hill. But his voice still wasn't it's best in the 70s and I mean anytime in the 70s.

Even in 1970? I’d agree 1971 onwards but his voice was flawless in 1970 IMO

Topic author
athletic_forever

Postby athletic_forever » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:04 pm

Elvisinvegas wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Elvisinvegas wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

"Hurt" is just a bombastic bellow of a mess. Imo Elvis had lost the magic in his voice (70s) i think he knew his singing wasn't as good anymore. The bombastic bellowing, to me at least, was a way of bringing his voice out more due to the lack of it, and kind of "showing off" when he used to reprise it at his live shows. I don't like the song anyhow.

"Unchained Melody" was obviously based on his hero's Roy Hamilton version. But Roy's was certainly a better performance. Had Elvis done it 10 years earlier, say with Chips Moman, the results would have been so much better than the dreadful CBS version. That said, my favourite version of the song is by the Rightious Brothers.

So, can you pin point when he "lost the magic in his voice".....1972? 1973? 1974? 1975? 1976? or 1977?

And if you can, can you pinpoint the month? For example you might think he was good in feb. 1972 but by June he wasn't good anymore.

All fans are different.

I don't look at the years per se', I just look at each song or performance on it's own merit.
And I like his 1976 live version of "The first time ever I saw your face" better than his 1971 studio version
And there are other anomalies that pop up from time to time. it all depends on what it is.

My opinion though, is words like "Aweful" should be saved for things like, "Hey hey hey", or "Hey little girl", or "Old macdonald".

He lost his voice on September 24th, 1971 at 1: 15 and 27 seconds in the morning exactly.

Seriously now. I think Elvis' voice, starting in 1970, had lost a lot of its appeal. Even with the crappy movie songs his voice sounded so much better than any of the crap he recorded in the 70s. He just got lazier and lazier and it shows in the recordings he did in the 70s. Even some of the half decent performances like, "Merry Christmas Baby" and "Promised Land" his voice is not top notch.

That's my opinion, anyway. And yes, i don't like the 70s jumpsuit Elvis, i think he lost a lot of his appeal, even as a charismatic performer. He just didn't do much for me in the 70s. The music and song choices just all went down hill.

I think that is a little unfair, he was certainly on top form live performing up until 1972. IMO he started his decline from 1973 but in between 1971-1973 he wasn’t as consistent as he had previously been. For example I think he sounded better in some early 73 sessions than he did in 71.

I do agree with you that he was a good performer up til 72 then after that it was down hill. But his voice still wasn't it's best in the 70s and I mean anytime in the 70s.

If you spell “perfection”, as regarding voice and adaptability to sing nearly everything, then 1969 and 1970 are the ones.

But to me he did unbelievable things with his voice in the 70’s... like Burning Love, You Gave Me A Mountain, A Big Hunk O’Love, American Trilogy, Promised Land, Pieces of My Life, Just Pretend... and yes, Hurt and Unchained Melody.

I like his version of My Way from 1977 better than his 1973 one too! Frank Sinatra in this was technical perfection, Elvis version was passion all over!

Again, if you disagree with me it’s alright if we respect each other’s opinion.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:27 am

Elvisinvegas wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Elvisinvegas wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

All fans are different.

Yes, even in 1970. Just listen to his voice the year before. His voice on the American stuff is so much better than 1970. While his voice is still ok in 1970/71 but it's nothing like from 1954 to 1969. The drug acceleration in 1970, not to mention the continuous gruelling touring schedule, gradually destroyed his voice year by year.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:34 am

Mojo Filter wrote:
Elvisinvegas wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Elvisinvegas wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

All fans are different.

Yes, even in 1970. Just listen to his voice the year before. His voice on the American stuff is so much better than 1970. While his voice is still ok in 1970/71 but it's nothing like from 1954 to 1969. The drug acceleration in 1970, not to mention the continuous gruelling touring schedule, gradually destroyed his voice year by year.

I don't think it was the touring as much as Las Vegas. 30 days in the dessert will dry out your throat. Vegas throat they call it.
So much of that caused damage to his vocal cords. He should have never been playing to 4000 seat auditoriums in the 70's.

A weekend would have ok, but no a month long. It took 7years but he finally, slowly eased his way out of Las vegas and Tahoe.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:58 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Elvisinvegas wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Elvisinvegas wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

All fans are different.

I don't think it was the touring as much as Las Vegas. 30 days in the dessert will dry out your throat. Vegas throat they call it.
So much of that caused damage to his vocal cords. He should have never been playing to 4000 seat auditoriums in the 70's.

A weekend would have ok, but no a month long. It took 7years but he finally, slowly eased his way out of Las vegas and Tahoe.

I'm talking about all concerts. Vegas and the touring outside of it - all combined. It all just burnt him out, hence one of the reasons he needed some pharmaceuticals to keep him going.

The Vegas thing was evil. Two shows a day, afternoon and evening - shocking! The Colonel would've had him do a breakfast show too if Vegas was known to have one.

To do two big shows a day with very little time space between them is very hard for the body to cope with. It takes a long time for the adrenaline to settle it's gonna do you no good to suddenly get up and do another show so quick before you've even had a chance to settle, but a few pills can sort that problem out, make you feel good for a while.

To do this year after year is gonna destroy you physically, mentally and vocally.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 pm

I came across this small little article from a 1974 issue of Strictly Elvis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Everything Elvis”