Two outstanding performances near the end

All the Elvis you can take

cadillac-elvis

Re: Two outstanding performances near the end

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:18 am

TonyS wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
TonyS wrote:
skabillyrebels wrote:one man's soup is another man's gravy.

Exactly, and I'll take the versions of 'Hurt', You Gave Me A Mountain' and 'I Really Don't Want To Know' from Elvis In a Concert over any other versions by Elvis.
I can only imagine I'd enjoy them even more if they had a proper re- mix from the master tapes.

so, I want to understand you..."all" versions....even the studio one?

The problem with every live version past May of 1976, is that Tutt speeds the tempo up and ruins the mood of the song.

In fact Tutt speeds up most of elvis' oldies among others.

Just listen to Larry Londin during the Early 1976 tours and you will notice he played
the songs at the proper tempo's including Hurt.

In a word, yes.
I've never thought that the Graceland den recording of 'Hurt' was anything other than just ok.
I enjoy the live arrangements of the three songs I mentioned on the 'Elvis In Concert' album.
Talking of speeding things up.... sometimes Elvis himself was responsible for that.
Ronnie Tutt has said many times that he didn't enjoy doing 'Sweet Caroline' with Elvis because he took it too fast. True.

I agree, it really does depend on the song.
I do think Sweet Caroline from august 1970 is perfect though.
They speeded it up by Feb. 71.
And nearly every version of "Love letters" was done way too slow as a snail pace in 1976-77.
Tempo is important.
I do agree with you on You gave me a mountain....much more feeling that the one for Aloha.
Soon they will release spring 1976 FTD from ST. Louis and Spokane, it will interesting how
"Hurt" sounds on those dates.

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:31 am

'Love Letters' live, yes, always too slow.
Some other versions of 'Hurt' live I don't enjoy at all.
To keep it clear, I'm talking about the three songs I mentioned on the 'Elvis In Concert' album. They sound great to me.
The 'Mountain' arrangement and the guitar work from James Burton just grabs me more than any other.

skabillyrebels

There not to bad from the master tape of the NYE 76 show

Postby skabillyrebels » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am

There not to bad from the master tape of the NYE 76 show. ;)
08- You Gave Me A Mountain.wav
27-ALT Love Letters.wav
32 Hurt.wav
33- Hurt (reprise).wav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by skabillyrebels on Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:29 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:I have to say that these two songs by Elvis are awful.

"Hurt" is just a bombastic bellow of a mess. Imo Elvis had lost the magic in his voice (70s) i think he knew his singing wasn't as good anymore. The bombastic bellowing, to me at least, was a way of bringing his voice out more due to the lack of it, and kind of "showing off" when he used to reprise it at his live shows. I don't like the song anyhow.

"Unchained Melody" was obviously based on his hero's Roy Hamilton version. But Roy's was certainly a better performance. Had Elvis done it 10 years earlier, say with Chips Moman, the results would have been so much better than the dreadful CBS version. That said, my favourite version of the song is by the Rightious Brothers.

So, can you pin point when he "lost the magic in his voice".....1972? 1973? 1974? 1975? 1976? or 1977?

And if you can, can you pinpoint the month? For example you might think he was good in feb. 1972 but by June he wasn't good anymore.

Or you might hate the 70's all of it...in its jumpsuit glory...

So, maybe you think he peaked in 1968?

All fans are different.

I don't look at the years per se', I just look at each song or performance on it's own merit.
In fact I like his 1977 versions of "My way" better than the one in 1973.
And I like his 1976 live version of "The first time ever I saw your face" better than his 1971 studio version
And there are other anomalies that pop up from time to time. it all depends on what it is.

My opinion though, is words like "Aweful" should be saved for things like, "Hey hey hey", or "Hey little girl", or "Old macdonald".

He lost his voice on September 24th, 1971 at 1: 15 and 27 seconds in the morning exactly.

Seriously now. I think Elvis' voice, starting in 1970, had lost a lot of its appeal. Even with the crappy movie songs his voice sounded so much better than any of the crap he recorded in the 70s. He just got lazier and lazier and it shows in the recordings he did in the 70s. Even some of the half decent performances like, "Merry Christmas Baby" and "Promised Land" his voice is not top notch.

That's my opinion, anyway. And yes, i don't like the 70s jumpsuit Elvis, i think he lost a lot of his appeal, even as a charismatic performer. He just didn't do much for me in the 70s. The music and song choices just all went down hill.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Elvisinvegas

Postby Elvisinvegas » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

"Hurt" is just a bombastic bellow of a mess. Imo Elvis had lost the magic in his voice (70s) i think he knew his singing wasn't as good anymore. The bombastic bellowing, to me at least, was a way of bringing his voice out more due to the lack of it, and kind of "showing off" when he used to reprise it at his live shows. I don't like the song anyhow.

"Unchained Melody" was obviously based on his hero's Roy Hamilton version. But Roy's was certainly a better performance. Had Elvis done it 10 years earlier, say with Chips Moman, the results would have been so much better than the dreadful CBS version. That said, my favourite version of the song is by the Rightious Brothers.

So, can you pin point when he "lost the magic in his voice".....1972? 1973? 1974? 1975? 1976? or 1977?

And if you can, can you pinpoint the month? For example you might think he was good in feb. 1972 but by June he wasn't good anymore.

All fans are different.

I don't look at the years per se', I just look at each song or performance on it's own merit.
And I like his 1976 live version of "The first time ever I saw your face" better than his 1971 studio version
And there are other anomalies that pop up from time to time. it all depends on what it is.

My opinion though, is words like "Aweful" should be saved for things like, "Hey hey hey", or "Hey little girl", or "Old macdonald".

He lost his voice on September 24th, 1971 at 1: 15 and 27 seconds in the morning exactly.

Seriously now. I think Elvis' voice, starting in 1970, had lost a lot of its appeal. Even with the crappy movie songs his voice sounded so much better than any of the crap he recorded in the 70s. He just got lazier and lazier and it shows in the recordings he did in the 70s. Even some of the half decent performances like, "Merry Christmas Baby" and "Promised Land" his voice is not top notch.

That's my opinion, anyway. And yes, i don't like the 70s jumpsuit Elvis, i think he lost a lot of his appeal, even as a charismatic performer. He just didn't do much for me in the 70s. The music and song choices just all went down hill.

I think that is a little unfair, he was certainly on top form live performing up until 1972. IMO he started his decline from 1973 but in between 1971-1973 he wasn’t as consistent as he had previously been. For example I think he sounded better in some early 73 sessions than he did in 71.

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:30 pm

Every dog has its day. and everyone has there Favourite year they like best.
But from what i have seen some people are not allowed to have there own opinion about it
And get rude remarks made about them which is unfair.
I myself like all of the 50s an parts of 60s 70s live and studio.

Bob

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:39 pm

skabillyrebels wrote:Every dog has its day. and everyone has there Favourite year they like best.
But from what i have seen some people are not allowed to have there own opinion about it
And get rude remarks made about them which is unfair.
I myself like all of the 50s an parts of 60s 70s

People indeed get rude. People like you.

Remember when you posted this?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:43 pm

That's true but you're forgetting you started all that crap.
you can give it but you can't take it.nice editing on the original post.
How do you know i was talking about you anyway are you a mind reader.

Bob

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:01 pm

skabillyrebels wrote:That's true but you're forgetting you started all that crap.
you can give it but you can't take it.

Well, I agree with you on at least one count: I'm a giver.
And you are a taker.

One more thing: why did you feel the need to look me up on Facebook and sent me a whole bunch of emotional messages?

Might the reason be that you simply can't control yourself?

I tell you what, why don't you just stop trying to get back at me at every chance for making a complete fool out of you not once but twice, and just accept the fact that you are the world's oldest baby? It would make your life so much easier. Trust me.

Move on! You can do it!

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Bob wrote:
skabillyrebels wrote:That's true but you're forgetting you started all that crap.
you can give it but you can't take it.

Well, I agree with you on at least one count: I'm a giver.
And you are a taker.

One more thing: why did you feel the need to look me up on Facebook and sent me a whole bunch of emotional messages?

Might the reason be that you simply can't control yourself?

I tell you what, why don't you just stop trying to get back at me at every chance for making a complete fool out of you not once but twice, and just accept the fact that you are the world's oldest baby? It would make your life so much easier. Trust me.

Move on! You can do it!

You have a very dirty mind.
And have just shown how childish you are.
I rest my case.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Yesterday, I politely asked you two to 'move on'.

Please do so.

Otherwise steps will be taken.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:55 pm

"World's oldest baby".....nice.....do I have permission to use that in the future?

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:01 pm

Elvisinvegas wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

All fans are different.

I think that is a little unfair, he was certainly on top form live performing up until 1972. IMO he started his decline from 1973 but in between 1971-1973 he wasn’t as consistent as he had previously been. For example I think he sounded better in some early 73 sessions than he did in 71.

I do agree with you that he was a good performer up til 72 then after that it was down hill. But his voice still wasn't it's best in the 70s and I mean anytime in the 70s.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:13 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:
Elvisinvegas wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

All fans are different.

I do agree with you that he was a good performer up til 72 then after that it was down hill. But his voice still wasn't it's best in the 70s and I mean anytime in the 70s.

I do understand what you are saying.
What I can't figure out is how or why Elvis' voice always changed so much in the span of very few years.
For example compare "that's when you heartaches begin" in 1953 to 1957....the difference is night and day.
How could that have happened? Slow puberty?
And compare his live versions of "Thats all right mama" from 1961 to the 1968. Again, how can this happen?

Most people's voices stay somewhat the same, but his kept changing. Perhaps it was his lack of proper health habits.

FYI, my favorite time for his voice I would say the 1960-62 period.

Topic author
athletic_forever

Postby athletic_forever » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:37 pm

5873B38E-0667-4888-8BF3-42564A2BC681.png

Hello again. Colin, it was me and the other party you asked to move on... and I did!

It seems the other didn‘t. Up to you to judge, I know you’ll be fair, as you always are.

Thanks!

Return to “Everything Elvis”