Song Demo's I have never heard of

All the Elvis you can take

colonel snow

Re: Song Demo's I have never heard of

Postby colonel snow » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:31 pm

Deleted >> more information here

viewtopic.php?f=352&t=6953

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:46 pm

Interesting information. Keep up the good work!

What happened with the unused songs? Were they used elsewhere?
I know "Playing with fire" written by Weisman & Wise was recorded and released by Terry Stafford on the B-side of "I'll touch a star", which could also be a song written for Elvis by Weisman, Wise & Fuller.

kevanbudd

Postby kevanbudd » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:06 am

Take me to the fair/It happened at the worlds fair -

Love lights (Charles Singleton and Horace Ott) (For love scene at Space needle)
Skyful of rainbows (Unknown writer/s)(For Space needle scene)(Not the Bart Howard wrote Johnny Mathis song - Sky Full of Rainbows)

Take me to the fair - written by Singleton and Ott - full Songwriter details presumed as above - Charles Singleton and Horace Ott .

Bush pilot (Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman) This is a fast paced number. film is unknown, perhaps `Worlds fair?`

Kevan Budd.
Last edited by kevanbudd on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:31 am

Thanks Kevan for this addition; unfortunately there's not much known about the song selection / demos for IHATWF.

colonel snow

kevanbudd

Postby kevanbudd » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:14 am

Lollipop angel (Charles Singleton and Horace Ott) (detailed as `Lullaby to a sleepy child`).
Film unknown, perhaps `Worlds fair?`

Kevan Budd.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:16 pm

Thanks Kevan for the addition; the song Lollipop angel is registered at BMI with publisher Elvis Presley Music.
By the way a lot of songs written by Charles Singleton (with Rose Marie McCoy) are published by Elvis Presley Music / Gladys Music (ASCAP).

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:55 pm

Here two examples about registered songs by Charles Singleton & Rose Marie Mc Coy at Elvis Presley Music & Gladys Music (see previous post).
There are a few dozens of songtitles known written by them but it does not mean Elvis got demo versions of all these songs. Even there’s no connection with Elvis’ recording session and / or movie soundtrack known from all these songtitles (not to mention all here!)

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:59 pm

Here some information from American Film Institute (DV= Daily Variety) about IHATWF

The 31 Jul 1962 DV reported that producer Ted Richmond had recently returned from New York City, where he selected twelve songs for the picture from the offerings of seventeen songwriting teams. One month later, the 31 Aug 1962 edition *** noted that Presley had pre-recorded eight of the compositions, including the title song.
On 4 Sep 1962, DV announced that the 200-member cast and crew were leaving for Seattle, WA, to begin production the next day. Director Norman Taurog and director of photography Joseph Ruttenberg scouted locations several weeks earlier, as reported in the 15 Aug 1962 edition. The 11 Sep 1962 DV stated that composer Leith Stevens left for Seattle that day to supervise the musical finale.
According to the 9 Oct 1962 LAT, four mobile homes, constructed by Divco-Wayne Industries, were delivered to MGM Studios in Culver City, CA, for a trailer park set on Stage 20. The article claimed that it was the first time mobile homes were depicted on screen in a "deluxe park setting." The 26 Oct 1962 DV noted that a replica of Seattle's "Space Needle" building was created for the film.
After the company returned from Seattle, the 16 Oct 1962 DV reported that Norwegian Vice Consul Arild Riisberg appeared on set the previous day to present Elvis Presley with a "silver record mounted on a mahogany plaque," on behalf of the people of Norway.
As both production and the Seattle Century 21 Exposition drew to a close, the title of the picture was changed to It Happened at the World's Fair, as stated in the 23 Oct 1962 DV. Filming concluded on 8 Nov 1962, according to that day's issue. News items in the 17 Jan 1963 and 6 Feb 1963 editions of DV reported the start of recording the music score and the completion of music dubbing, respectively. Meanwhile, RCA Victor shipped more than 516,000 copies of Presley's latest single, featuring two songs from the picture. A news brief in the 28 Jan 1963 DV revealed that a preview screening was held in Long Beach, CA, over the previous two days.
On 8 Apr 1963, DV announced that the picture was opening that week at 450 locations, supported by a "heavy" radio and television campaign targeting the teenage demographic. It Happened at the World's Fair opened 3 Apr 1963 in Los Angeles, CA, and on 29 May 1963 in New York City to dismissive reviews, with the 1 Apr 1963 DV and 6 Apr 1963 LAT both describing the picture as "tedious." Regardless, critics predicted a profitable run, evidenced by earnings in Los Angeles of $125,000, as reported in the 9 Apr 1963 DV.

*** now we know this information is wrong; in the pre-selection on 24 august 1962 9 songs were selected according to the acetates with demo versions.

I know ten songwriting teams for the movie instead of seventeen. You can't take DV seriously with the news.

colonel snow

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:02 pm

kevanbudd wrote:Lollipop angel (Charles Singleton and Horace Ott) (detailed as `Lullaby to a sleepy child`).
Film unknown, perhaps `Worlds fair?`

Kevan Budd.

In the catalog of copyright entries music between 1960 and 1968 I've not found the song "Lollipop angel" in spite the registration at ASCAP!!

colonel snow

Stevenson

Postby Stevenson » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:40 am

Hi there,
here's a short fragment of a Sorry, Wrong Number. Authors: Giant-Baum-Kaye; the year 1963.

I see it as a spin-off of spin-off of famous record: Return To Sender (mail) => Western Union (telegram) => Sorry, Wrong Number (telephone). Besides proximity of recording date, even the chord progression at the very beginning emulates the one from Return To Sender.

Enjoy!

Sorry, Wrong Number (Giant-Baum-Kaye).mp3

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:03 pm

Nellie the belly dancer

The song is written by Giant-Baum-Kaye; the demo is sung by Bill Giant.
I don't know for which recording session the song was submitted.

colonel snow

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:57 pm

There are a lot of songs written in the "Presley-style"; here an example from another rejected song. I don't have information about a recording session.

Prison bars - written by Giant-Baum-Kaye. The demo is sung by Bill Giant. The song is registered at ASCAP.

colonel snow

John

Postby John » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:04 pm

colonel snow wrote:Nellie the belly dancer

colonel snow

I'd suggest it was for Roustabout. They used Little Egypt instead.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:34 pm

John wrote:

colonel snow

I had the same idea but the song is not listed in pre-song selections from 13 january 1964 / 27 january 1964 / 7 february 1964 / 19 february 1964.
I don't want to list songs as far as possible like: it could be submitted for this movie / recording session or another movie when I don't have seen paperwork / documents etc. Before you know it's labeled to the wrong movie / recording session.

colonel snow

John

Postby John » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:43 pm

colonel snow wrote:
John wrote:

colonel snow

I had the same idea but the song is not listed in pre-song selections from 13 january 1964 / 27 january 1964 / 7 february 1964 / 19 february 1964.
I don't want to list songs as far as possible like: it could be submitted for this movie / recording session or another movie when I don't have seen paperwork / documents etc. Before you know it's labeled to the wrong movie / recording session.

colonel snow

I understand, but I can't see that it would fit anywhere else. The song came out in 1964.

https://www.tracklib.com/song/nellie-the-belly-dancer

Return to “Everything Elvis”