Re: Larry Geller talks August 2019

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:57 pm

John wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
picturefan wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Nobody, but himself, was doing Elvis' hair in 1955 and 1956, and he was wearing the coolest hairstyle ever to land on planet Earth.

Even his self styled perm in 55 was cooler than anything Larry was ever capable of...

a3f016ab52293e40ee48848e742353ab.jpg

I'm not too fond of that perm look, but my point was that he knew exactly how to comb his hair. He shouln't have allowed anybody touch it. Look at the fabulous (blond) haircut he was wearing when he returmed from Germany. It only lasted a couple of weeks, though. Oh well.

Yes, I knew what your point was and I agree with you. I don't mind the perm (it's 1955 even if his toes were coming through his shoes it would still be awesome, know what i mean) it was better than the "Hollywood haircut" which was plenty of hairspray and the all round family man that Hollywood wanted him to be.

"the image they had of me was wrong, I knew it"- Elvis Presley June 1972.

Well, I, for instance, liked the Hollywood haircut in loving you or king creole.

I think Elvis was still combing his own hair in those two movies. It wasn't til the 60s it became the "Hollywood haircut".

I would doubt that he was combing his own hair. The hairstyle supervisor on Loving You and King Creole was Nellie Hanley and the hairstylist was Hedy Mjorud on King Creole.

For the sake of continuity I don't think film stars comb their own hair.

They don't brush their own teeth or use the restroom either.

Topic author
TonyS

Postby TonyS » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:05 pm

John wrote:For the sake of continuity I don't think film stars comb their own hair.

lmt_hair-comb2.jpg
lmt_hair-comb.jpg

cough, cough... :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.

John

Postby John » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:54 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
picturefan wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Nobody, but himself, was doing Elvis' hair in 1955 and 1956, and he was wearing the coolest hairstyle ever to land on planet Earth.

Even his self styled perm in 55 was cooler than anything Larry was ever capable of...

I'm not too fond of that perm look, but my point was that he knew exactly how to comb his hair. He shouln't have allowed anybody touch it. Look at the fabulous (blond) haircut he was wearing when he returmed from Germany. It only lasted a couple of weeks, though. Oh well.

Yes, I knew what your point was and I agree with you. I don't mind the perm (it's 1955 even if his toes were coming through his shoes it would still be awesome, know what i mean) it was better than the "Hollywood haircut" which was plenty of hairspray and the all round family man that Hollywood wanted him to be.

Well, I, for instance, liked the Hollywood haircut in loving you or king creole.

I think Elvis was still combing his own hair in those two movies. It wasn't til the 60s it became the "Hollywood haircut".

I would doubt that he was combing his own hair. The hairstyle supervisor on Loving You and King Creole was Nellie Hanley and the hairstylist was Hedy Mjorud on King Creole.

No, Elvis used to give his teeth to red and Charlie used to crap for him.

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:33 pm

colgate an kittensoft toilet paper
god knows what the monkey did for him

John

Postby John » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:39 pm

skabillyrebels wrote:colgate an kittensoft toilet paper
god knows what the monkey did for him

Business, and too much of it.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:02 pm

TonyS wrote:cough, cough... :lol: :lol:

Cough Mixture.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:27 pm

John wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
picturefan wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

No, Elvis used to give his teeth to red and Charlie used to crap for him.

....... and that is why Charlie's laugh sounded false..

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:38 pm

TonyS wrote:
John wrote:For the sake of continuity I don't think film stars comb their own hair.

lmt_hair-comb2.jpglmt_hair-comb.jpg

cough, cough... :lol: :lol:

How interesting.

That would be the missing Mrs Hedy Mjorud, hairdresser - I love little details and solving. 8-)

Tis a mystery as to what went on, or IMBD are just plain wrong.

Hedy Mjorud.jpg

Photo of Mrs Mjorud styling Mrs Paulette Goddard's hair.

Makeup Department

Hedy Mjorud ... hair stylist (uncredited)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051818/fullcredits

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paulette-God ... 1727322083

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:06 am

One of Elvis' relatives was very kind to say:
Jim's Barber Shop in Memphis 1956 just prior to heading to New York for the Ed Sullivan show

Jim's Barber Shop Memphis 1956 prior to Ed Sullivan Show.jpg

Fort Chaffee Arkansas March 1958 just before he was to start basic training for The Army

Fort Chaffee Arkansas March 1958 before basic training Army..jpg

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:51 am

just look at that double chin
it seems he always had a bit of trouble with his weight

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:54 am

John wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
picturefan wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

Well, it was still the rock'n'roll quiff hairdo in those films, the rebellious look.They may have cut his hair but I'm pretty sure he combed it himself after. I go to the Barbers, as most people do, and have a haircut but after i comb it myself until it needs cutting again.

But his 60s hair seems to be rather more polished and perfect with lots of hairspray which suggests it was done by the hair department before a scene was cut for a movie to make sure it was just perfect.

His hair in King Creole is quite messy, his quiff isn't in place it flops in front of his face in most scenes and looks like it hasn't been combed

In Loving You his hair is quite reminiscent of how he had it in 56, just a tad longer, except his hair is dyed black, iirc that was suggested by the hair department in Hollywood but Elvis liked the black hair look and kept it that way.

picturefan

Postby picturefan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:21 pm

His hair in King Creole is quite messy, his quiff isn't in place it flops in front of his face in most scenes and looks like it hasn't been combed

No wonder, paramount pleaded for the delay of elvis ' induction into the army with the army department, so they could make king creole.
Time was so tight, they didn't had the time to comb his hair.

except his hair is dyed black, iirc that was suggested by the hair department in Hollywood

I tend to believe it was elvis's idea as he himself said that most leading men who were successful had dark hair.
The makeover of his skin before loving you was also his idea.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:07 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:One of Elvis' relatives was very kind to say:
Jim's Barber Shop in Memphis 1956 just prior to heading to New York for the Ed Sullivan show

Jim's Barber Shop Memphis 1956 prior to Ed Sullivan Show.jpg

Fort Chaffee Arkansas March 1958 just before he was to start basic training for The Army

Fort Chaffee Arkansas March 1958 before basic training Army..jpg

Just bringing forth what is obvious by the photos - Elvis actually attended a barber's shop.

We have had the photo before, I know, but look what he is reading (if anyone has not noticed before)

Good stuff. Imagine, walking past, perhaps something catches your eye, you look inside, and there is Elvis.

Hard Rocker

Postby Hard Rocker » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:42 pm

Well said!

The guy had so much talent and creativity in him, most of which never saw the light of day. Such a shame.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:48 pm

Hard Rocker wrote:

Well said!

The guy had so much talent and creativity in him, most of which never saw the light of day. Such a shame.

Including, a good majority of interior design ideas (except for 1970's fashions ;) ).

Return to “Everything Elvis”