FTD The last tours, volume 1 (4 CD set)

All the Elvis you can take

javilu

Re: FTD The last tours, volume 1 (4 CD set)

Postby javilu » Mon Aug 26, 2024 12:57 pm

I like the cleaning up the vaults approach so I will support FTD by buying this one even though I have most of it on bootleg.

Rickeap

Postby Rickeap » Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:28 am

I already have most of these.

N880EAP

Postby N880EAP » Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:53 am

Rickeap wrote:I already have most of these.

But will the audio quality be the same? "Spring Tours" IMO/IIRC was in outstanding audio quality (I am anticipating the same for this series and it is one of the reasons it appeals to me so much).
"When your heart gets weary, time to sing a song!" Follow That Dream.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:09 am

N880EAP wrote:

But will the audio quality be the same? "Spring Tours" IMO/IIRC was in outstanding audio quality (I am anticipating the same for this series and it is one of the reasons it appeals to me so much).

So, sometimes I tend to look at the performance quality over sound quality.
Always have. I was able to enjoy audience tapes that were not very good back in the 80's.
IIRC Spring tours had a good portion of multitrack recordings, and Elvis was
on point during many of those recordings.
But...those FEB. shows are pretty dang good too.
Lot's are rarities as well, ie..blueberry hill, Moody blue, Where no one stand alone....some really cool stuff.
I tend to enjoy most anything by Elvis...obviously some more than others but I do like
the idea of bunching up 1977 shows into volumes.

Lonely Summer

Postby Lonely Summer » Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:13 am

I don't know that I need this, but if this is a series they continue, I will probably buy the last one in the set. I admit to a fascination with the beginning of Elvis' return to live work in 1969, and the end in 1977.
I actually like some of the song selections from that final year. Some very surprising and random choices.

N880EAP

Postby N880EAP » Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:33 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:So, sometimes I tend to look at the performance quality over sound quality.
Always have. I was able to enjoy audience tapes that were not very good back in the 80's.

I can longer endure most audience recordings (I used to listen to them a lot back in the day though).

cadillac-elvis wrote:IIRC Spring tours had a good portion of multitrack recordings, and Elvis was
on point during many of those recordings.
But...those FEB. shows are pretty dang good too.
Lot's are rarities as well, ie..blueberry hill, Moody blue, Where no one stand alone....some really cool stuff.
I tend to enjoy most anything by Elvis...obviously some more than others but I do like
the idea of bunching up 1977 shows into volumes.

Agreed, on all counts!
"When your heart gets weary, time to sing a song!" Follow That Dream.

bluehawaii

Postby bluehawaii » Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:19 am

N880EAP wrote:

You're in for a disappointment then, if not for the sound quality then for the poor mixing. Spring Tours '77 features (professional) recordings made on 4-track tape recorders whereas the February tapes are mono or stereo soundboard recordings. Granted some of them, Montgomery for instance, sound fabulous (the original source anyway, we don't know yet if the label has had access to the original reels, which I doubt at the moment).

This upcoming release is most welcome and I'm excited about the prospect of future volumes. It's about time FTD sticks with a well chosen title and does a few volumes of it. The second volume will most likely focus on the first part of the March tour. This second volume might be a good chance to revisit / remix the respective 4-track tracks released on "Spring Tours" over 20 years ago. Matt Ross-Spang anyone?

Return to “Everything Elvis”