"When It Rains It Pours" - the unheard bit

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: "When It Rains It Pours" - the unheard bit

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:57 pm

javilu wrote:So what is the bit that was removed from the Legacy Boy from Tupelo? I don't have the FTD book or Golden Celebration to compare.

It's a short bit (around 20 seconds) of 1954 studio dialogue, where we hear Elvis and, probably, Bill Black and Sam Phillips.

Since its original release, the Bopcat LP "Good Rocking Tonite", it was always attached to the incomplete outtake of "I'll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin')".

The first official release of this cut was the "A Golden Celebration" LP box set. Shortly after that, it was included in the "The Complete Sun Sessions" 2-LP set, and later in the "Sunrise" 2-CD set. Finally, the FTD release of "A Boy From Tupelo" included the dialogue separated from the song, and then the Legacy version of ABFT did not include it at all.

No official explanation for this nonsense needed.

Just keep buyin' them (goddamn) rekkids.

https://youtu.be/QW0pOmQkGHk?si=Cv7n1VYfE1KlxbwK

John

Postby John » Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:32 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
javilu wrote:So what is the bit that was removed from the Legacy Boy from Tupelo? I don't have the FTD book or Golden Celebration to compare.

It's a short bit (around 20 seconds) of 1954 studio dialogue, where we hear Elvis and, probably, Bill Black and Sam Phillips.

Since its original release, the Bopcat LP "Good Rocking Tonite", it was always attached to the incomplete outtake of "I'll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin')".

The first official release of this cut was the "A Golden Celebration" LP box set. Shortly after that, it was included in the "The Complete Sun Sessions" 2-LP set, and later in the "Sunrise" 2-CD set. Finally, the FTD release of "A Boy From Tupelo" included the dialogue separated from the song, and then the Legacy version of ABFT did not include it at all.

No official explanation for this nonsense needed.

Just keep buyin' them (goddamn) rekkids.

https://youtu.be/QW0pOmQkGHk?si=Cv7n1VYfE1KlxbwK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I0poZE5w6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaBYSyyAQso

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:14 am

ImageImage

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:09 am

Holy Jimmie Rodgers Snow.

By the way, there are two different, almost identical, videos of the deejay breaking the 45.

A bit of trivia for the crappiest thread in Phoenix history.

I meant well.

Mike C

Postby Mike C » Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:35 pm

Mister Moon and John, you guys are doing excellent work explaining what was left off of 2017 release of "A Boy From Tupelo." I think it is rather silly because it does not sound like Elvis says the offensive word. I'd wager it is Bill.

I'd still love to know what the offensive phrase left off the 2012 box.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:40 pm

Mike C wrote:Mister Moon and John, you guys are doing excellent work explaining what was left off of 2017 release of "A Boy From Tupelo." I think it is rather silly because it does not sound like Elvis says the offensive word. I'd wager it is Bill.

They also left the Mae Boren Axton interview out of the 2017 version - the 2012 release did include it.

On the other hand, in 2012 they decided they had to bastardize the intro of "Just Because" with a split second taken from "Good Rockin' Tonight", something nobody really needed - I had listened to the song hundreds of times, and never ever noticed it was "clipped". I'm still not sure it was, to be honest,, taking into account Elvis' singing style at that point.

Oh well. :)

John

Postby John » Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:29 pm

Mike C wrote:Mister Moon and John, you guys are doing excellent work explaining what was left off of 2017 release of "A Boy From Tupelo." I think it is rather silly because it does not sound like Elvis says the offensive word. I'd wager it is Bill.

It certainly doesn't sound like Elvis.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:12 pm

John wrote:

It certainly doesn't sound like Elvis.

Right. I would say it's Bill, too.

From memory, I thought we could hear Sam Phillips too, but on close repeated listening I can't hear him. That laughing at the beginning could be Scotty's, I think.

Mike C

Postby Mike C » Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:37 am

I agree with you on the laugh, Mister Moon. The Blue Moon of Kentucky outtake from which this snippet of dialogue derives (as we leaned on A Boy From Tupelo set) is one my of top three favorite outtakes.

Lonely Summer

Postby Lonely Summer » Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:34 pm

I wouldn't think Sam would be using the n-word.

Return to “Everything Elvis”