Original "Elvis in Concert" tv broadcast

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Petri

Original "Elvis in Concert" tv broadcast

Postby Petri » Mon May 20, 2024 11:52 am

There is now available an uncut video tape recording which contains Elvis in Concert tv special including nationwide and local commercials too, as it was broadcasted on October 3rd, 1977 by KFMB Channel 8, which was CBS affiliate in San Diego, California. So yes, it is so interesting to see that Maybelline was one of nationwide advertisers and Bank of America one of local San Diego advertisers. The main sponsor for this tv special seems to be Chevrolet.

The biggest surprise to me was that CBS' Young Dan'l Boone tv series promoted Elvis in Concert tv special, because it proves that CBS has put some extra promotion regarding Elvis' tv special!

Here is a link to CBS special presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOZp8154MK8&t=4s

P.S. According to IMDb there were eight episodes made but only four episodes of Young Dan'l Boone tv series aired.

John

Re: Original "Elvis in Concert" tv broadcast

Postby John » Mon May 20, 2024 2:46 pm

Petri wrote:There is now available an uncut video tape recording which contains Elvis in Concert tv special including nationwide and local commercials too, as it was broadcasted on October 3rd, 1977 by KFMB Channel 8, which was CBS affiliate in San Diego, California. So yes, it is so interesting to see that Maybelline was one of nationwide advertisers and Bank of America one of local San Diego advertisers. The main sponsor for this tv special seems to be Chevrolet.

The biggest surprise to me was that CBS' Young Dan'l Boone tv series promoted Elvis in Concert tv special, because it proves that CBS has put some extra promotion regarding Elvis' tv special!

Here is a link to CBS special presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOZp8154MK8&t=4s

P.S. According to IMDb there were eight episodes made but only four episodes of Young Dan'l Boone tv series aired.

Thanks. Where did that come from?

Keeper

Postby Keeper » Mon May 20, 2024 3:36 pm

Thanks for this, love it
Pam G

TheKingForever

Postby TheKingForever » Mon May 20, 2024 3:50 pm

I think the complete broadcast with commercials and everything was first released on the The Final Curtain box set around 12-15 years ago.
Video quality was quite good but thankfully someone rereleased it with stereo sound dubbed from the RCA EIC album.

jokerlola

Postby jokerlola » Mon May 20, 2024 8:47 pm

I recorded the special on our newly acquired VCR on both the first time it aired and when it was rerun several months later. I still have those video tapes and last I checked (about 5 years ago) they still played and looked good. Unfortunately I used the wired pause remote to pause the recording during the commercials so I didn’t record any of the commercials. On the rerun CBS broke it with a news story about severe weather in the US and pre-emoted the special for a few minutes but resumed back to the special in its entirety. I wish now I would have kept the commercials in for the nostalgia of them, especially the local commercials from my area.

elvis-fan

Postby elvis-fan » Wed May 22, 2024 9:51 am

Interesting to note, and something I didn't really pick up on until now... the man receives a standing ovation before singing a note (in Rapid City). I'm sure it wasn't the first time but wow... what an incredible connection Elvis had with his fans. I always believed that Elvis truly loved and appreciated his fans and even near the end, it was obvious the feeling was mutual.

And for as difficult as the Omaha show must have been to sit through, he receives another standing ovation at the end of that show.

Thanks for posting that...

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Wed May 22, 2024 1:52 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Interesting to note, and something I didn't really pick up on until now... the man receives a standing ovation before singing a note (in Rapid City). I'm sure it wasn't the first time but wow... what an incredible connection Elvis had with his fans. I always believed that Elvis truly loved and appreciated his fans and even near the end, it was obvious the feeling was mutual.

And for as difficult as the Omaha show must have been to sit through, he receives another standing ovation at the end of that show.

There's a real paradox there. Whilst Elvis could show up in bad shape, perform poor shows, yet still be showered with adulation, nothing was going to change.

That said one of the few positives we can take from the CBS footage is the way the love from the fans comes across, despite Elvis' problems being very much apparent.

And given what I've heard from 1976 -7 over the years Rapid City was certainly one of the better shows, with Elvis giving it his all for the fans and the CBS cameras.

He will always be the king no matter what...

jokerlola

Postby jokerlola » Wed May 22, 2024 9:13 pm

rockinrebel wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Interesting to note, and something I didn't really pick up on until now... the man receives a standing ovation before singing a note (in Rapid City). I'm sure it wasn't the first time but wow... what an incredible connection Elvis had with his fans. I always believed that Elvis truly loved and appreciated his fans and even near the end, it was obvious the feeling was mutual.

There's a real paradox there. Whilst Elvis could show up in bad shape, perform poor shows, yet still be showered with adulation, nothing was going to change.

That said one of the few positives we can take from the CBS footage is the way the love from the fans comes across, despite Elvis' problems being very much apparent.

And given what I've heard from 1976 -7 over the years Rapid City was certainly one of the better shows, with Elvis giving it his all for the fans and the CBS cameras.

He will always be the king no matter what...

I think he’s a good king fellow.

Topic author
Petri

Postby Petri » Fri May 24, 2024 10:52 am

John wrote:
Petri wrote:There is now available an uncut video tape recording which contains Elvis in Concert tv special including nationwide and local commercials too, as it was broadcasted on October 3rd, 1977 by KFMB Channel 8, which was CBS affiliate in San Diego, California. So yes, it is so interesting to see that Maybelline was one of nationwide advertisers and Bank of America one of local San Diego advertisers. The main sponsor for this tv special seems to be Chevrolet.

Thanks. Where did that come from?

I was just surfing on the YouTube and I find out this title: CBS 1977 Elvis in Concert 3/4 Umatic Master 10-3-77. "U-matic master dating October 3rd, '77" sound interesting, so I started to watch it. It sure was a nice surprise to understand that this video contained the complete program, including all commercials of this CBS tv special!
Last edited by Petri on Fri May 24, 2024 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh moody blue,
tell me am I getting through,
I keep hanging on,
try to learn the song,
but I never do..."

Topic author
Petri

Postby Petri » Fri May 24, 2024 11:35 am

jokerlola wrote:On the rerun CBS broke it with a news story about severe weather in the US and pre-emoted the special for a few minutes but resumed back to the special in its entirety. I wish now I would have kept the commercials in for the nostalgia of them, especially the local commercials from my area.

That's interesting, so when the tv special was rerun nationwide (for the last time), CBS should broke it to two parts because of breaking weather news in somewhere in USA, right? I didn't knew that. When that rerun happened?

May I ask for that what were your thoughts about tv special in '77? I mean that what kind of impacts did it make on you? Other than you're still driving Chevrolet and drinking Michelob beer on weekends! :mrgreen:

I love those 70's commercials, because they so sweet ones!
"Oh moody blue,
I keep hanging on,
try to learn the song,
but I never do..."

Mike C

Postby Mike C » Fri May 24, 2024 7:49 pm

Petri wrote:
jokerlola wrote:On the rerun CBS broke it with a news story about severe weather in the US and pre-emoted the special for a few minutes but resumed back to the special in its entirety. I wish now I would have kept the commercials in for the nostalgia of them, especially the local commercials from my area.

That's interesting, so when the tv special was rerun nationwide (for the last time), CBS should broke it to two parts because of breaking weather news in somewhere in USA, right? I didn't knew that. When that rerun happened?

May I ask for that what were your thoughts about tv special in '77? I mean that what kind of impacts did it make on you? Other than you're still driving Chevrolet and drinking Michelob beer on weekends! :mrgreen:

As I recall, the special was re-aired in early of May of 1978 (May 7, 1978). Here's the TV Guide listing.

jokerlola

Postby jokerlola » Fri May 24, 2024 8:40 pm

:x he
Petri wrote:

They broke in with the CBS News Bulletin right before “I Really Don’t Want To Know.” It was either about tornados or a hurricane. I can’t remember. I paused the recording so on my tape you just see the “CBS New Bulletin ” card for a second. After the report, when the special resumed, there was a glitch in the video tape during the beginning of “Really Don’t Want To Know” like the tape got damaged a bit from stopping it.

My thoughts about the special at the time were that I knew basically what Elvis was going to look like but it was still shocking to see in moving video how bad he looked. I remember thinking that his right eye looked weird and that he looked more normal from his left side. It wasn’t his weight so much as how bloated his face looked. At the time, I thought the performances were all good vocally but that he sometimes looked awkward like doing his movements during “Mountain”. Even so, I watched the hell out of these tapes, probably watching it daily for several weeks. When I recorded the first broadcast on 10/3/77, I think I had either recorded the broadcast of the shortened EOT or did so right after so comparing it to that was also a stark contrast. Then a few weeks later there was the Memories Of Elvis Special of Aloha and 68 and comparing those to EIC was jarring as well.

N880EAP

Postby N880EAP » Wed May 29, 2024 9:39 am

Mike C wrote:As I recall, the special was re-aired in early of May of 1978 (May 7, 1978). Here's the TV Guide listing.

That picture shocked me when I first saw it in TV Guide.

TV Guide.jpeg

It just didn't look like Elvis to me (not the Elvis I was familiar with at the time).

Uncropped Version.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When your heart gets weary, time to sing a song!" Follow That Dream.

N880EAP

Postby N880EAP » Wed May 29, 2024 9:43 am

I wasn't sure where to post this (which thread), but . . . . . here it is anyway . . . . .

Backstage in Rapid City, June 21 1977 - Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley.jpg

I think this is my first time seeing this particular shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When your heart gets weary, time to sing a song!" Follow That Dream.

Topic author
Petri

Postby Petri » Wed May 29, 2024 10:16 am

N880EAP wrote:
Mike C wrote:As I recall, the special was re-aired in early of May of 1978 (May 7, 1978). Here's the TV Guide listing.

Rerun's quote: "The second half of the show..."

TV Guide.jpeg

First airing's quote: "The second half of the show was being edited at press time..." It is interesting that tv special was not made completely when mentioned "press time" was made. In the back cover of Elvis in Concert LP-set, which was released on October 3rd, 1977 (simultaneously with CBS' tv broadcast) there reads that "Early Morning Rain was added to the television show at press time". Was CBS trying to rush the airing of the show for some reason?

"Oh moody blue,
I keep hanging on,
try to learn the song,
but I never do..."

Return to “Everything Elvis”