Status of Elvis Sessions IV by JAT Productions

All the Elvis you can take

bluehawaii

Re: Status of Elvis Sessions IV by JAT Productions

Postby bluehawaii » Mon May 20, 2024 3:44 am

Petri wrote:Could you promise, that Elvis Sessions IV books will be hardcover editions? Comparing to softcover books, hardcover books have a lot of strong benefits, like being much more durable, much more handsome, much more valuable and so on. Yes, hardcover books cost more, but JAT books have always been very costly investments anyway! Two almost 500 pages softcover books sound pretty awful...

Years ago, Joseph Tunzi explained in an interview why he doesn't necessarily favor hardcover books. I'll edit this post with a link if I can find it. We'll have to see what happens, but the Sessions IV books will be closer to 1000 pages each, based on the information provied by DarlyR. With volumes this hefty, I'd see a potential advantage with the softcover-format, as it's a lot more flexible.

Nigel77

Postby Nigel77 » Mon May 20, 2024 10:41 am

bluehawaii wrote:
Petri wrote:Could you promise, that Elvis Sessions IV books will be hardcover editions? Comparing to softcover books, hardcover books have a lot of strong benefits, like being much more durable, much more handsome, much more valuable and so on. Yes, hardcover books cost more, but JAT books have always been very costly investments anyway! Two almost 500 pages softcover books sound pretty awful...

Years ago, Joseph Tunzi explained in an interview why he doesn't necessarily favor hardcover books. I'll edit this post with a link if I can find it. We'll have to see what happens, but the Sessions IV books will be closer to 1000 pages each, based on the information provied by DarlyR. With volumes this hefty, I'd see a potential advantage with the softcover-format, as it's a lot more flexible.

For books with 1,000 pages, softcover editions which have regular use tend to fall apart quicker.

N880EAP

Postby N880EAP » Thu May 23, 2024 9:03 pm

Prefer hardcover here too. Love the books and their contents, but have never liked that they are only softcover.
"When your heart gets weary, time to sing a song!" Follow That Dream.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu May 23, 2024 10:32 pm

When we are talking about these multiple volume books, I wonder why no one has put out
a set with all the Studio sessions in one volume, which would include Home recordings and Rehearsals.

And then one volume dedicated to Live concerts and performances.

To me that would be the most logical and useful format to have.

bluehawaii

Postby bluehawaii » Tue May 28, 2024 6:57 pm

N880EAP wrote:

Prefer hardcover here too. Love the books and their contents, but have never liked that they are only softcover.

Well, it's not our call. Pricing will be a huge issue and even softcover editions won't come cheap anyway. As DarylR wrote in his initial post, the guys have a lot of resources tied up in the project. If it was me, I'd go the cheaper route and print a few more copies in order to break even at some point. And the Tunzi softcovers that I have, have held up nicely all these years.

N880EAP

Postby N880EAP » Tue May 28, 2024 11:13 pm

bluehawaii wrote:
N880EAP wrote:

Well, it's not our call. Pricing will be a huge issue and even softcover editions won't come cheap anyway. As DarylR wrote in his initial post, the guys have a lot of resources tied up in the project. If it was me, I'd go the cheaper route and print a few more copies in order to break even at some point. And the Tunzi softcovers that I have, have held up nicely all these years.

No problem on my end, I may just rebind my copy into hardcover - especially if it is going to be their final updated version.
(I think that definitive "Reference" books should be hardbound format. My own personal preference is hardcover and I would gladly pay more for it.)
"When your heart gets weary, time to sing a song!" Follow That Dream.

Return to “Everything Elvis”