Song Demo's I have never heard of

All the Elvis you can take

colonel snow

Re: Song Demo's I have never heard of

Postby colonel snow » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:54 pm

Meanwhile information elsewhere available on the forum

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John

Re: Song Demo's I have never heard of

Postby John » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:36 pm

colonel snow wrote:
John wrote:
colonel snow wrote:
John wrote:
colonel snow wrote:Nellie the belly dancer

The song is written by Giant-Baum-Kaye; the demo is sung by Bill Giant.
I don't know for which recording session the song was submitted.

colonel snow

I'd suggest it was for Roustabout. They used Little Egypt instead.

I had the same idea but the song is not listed in pre-song selections from 13 january 1964 / 27 january 1964 / 7 february 1964 / 19 february 1964.
I don't want to list songs as far as possible like: it could be submitted for this movie / recording session or another movie when I don't have seen paperwork / documents etc. Before you know it's labeled to the wrong movie / recording session.

colonel snow

I understand, but I can't see that it would fit anywhere else. The song came out in 1964.

https://www.tracklib.com/song/nellie-the-belly-dancer

Thanks John; of course it's possible demo versions were sent in for the movie based on early scripts from 1962/1963
The movie was originally slated by Hal Wallis for production in 1962, the project was shelved as Elvis went on to star in several other films for Paramount Pictures, United Artists (UA), and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (M-G-M).
There's nothing known about song selections for 1962 / 1963. Maybe hidden somewhere in dark vaults?

On the other hand I've seen unidentified GBK demos listed as recorded in 1964 while on other sides the same tracks are listed with recordings in 1967 / 1968.
Which side must I believe?

colonel snow

It's difficult I guess, but just because if the lyrics for this song, I'd say it fits Roustabout very well, and of course they wrote Roustabout.

Return to “Everything Elvis”