New FTD May 2021

All the Elvis you can take

cadillac-elvis

Re: New FTD May 2021

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon May 03, 2021 7:50 pm

rockinrebel wrote:
John wrote:
alberta sheffield wrote:And what about "On Tour"?

Also: will FTD ever release the "Elvis in concert 1977" special?
It's about time, I think.
He may not look 100% perfect, but what an awesome voice and great performances he did there.
And he was is good mood too.

I say give it 6+ years.

But you already have it I imagine, so why do you want FTD to release it? It might be a defunct label by then anyway.

I'd welcome an FTD of the original Elvis In Concert album. The original CD master must be nearly 30 years old by now, and it doesn't sound great. My go to version is the Japanese vinyl pressing, but it would still be nice to get a CD upgrade from FTD.

The complete Rapid City concert could be included on the second disc, and as FTD have released far worse shows already, I don't buy the official statement about protecting the legacy.

The album is mainly the rapid city show anyway....there would be way too much overlap repeat material on disc 2.

This is supposed to be a frickin' collectors label....just release both shows complete. Disc one and disc two.

Keep it simple.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Mon May 03, 2021 10:16 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
John wrote:

He may not look 100% perfect, but what an awesome voice and great performances he did there.

I say give it 6+ years.

But you already have it I imagine, so why do you want FTD to release it? It might be a defunct label by then anyway.

I'd welcome an FTD of the original Elvis In Concert album. The original CD master must be nearly 30 years old by now, and it doesn't sound great. My go to version is the Japanese vinyl pressing, but it would still be nice to get a CD upgrade from FTD.

The complete Rapid City concert could be included on the second disc, and as FTD have released far worse shows already, I don't buy the official statement about protecting the legacy.

The album is mainly the rapid city show anyway....there would be way too much overlap repeat material on disc 2.

This is supposed to be a frickin' collectors label....just release both shows complete. Disc one and disc two.

Keep it simple.

Personally, I would like to have an upgrade of the original album master, in keeping with the previous re-issues of original Elvis albums on FTD.

The Rapid City show could be remixed from the original tapes, without the later overdubs which were added to the original album.

I really can't see FTD releasing the Omaha show in its entirety, if they ever do get around to revisiting the CBS recordings.

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon May 03, 2021 10:46 pm

I’m all in for an upgrade on the original album master too.
I’d buy that one.

LJM

Postby LJM » Mon May 03, 2021 11:06 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
John wrote:

I say give it 6+ years.

Keep it simple.

Fully agree. Cd one Rapid City, cd 2 Omaha minus Charlie and I'm happy.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Tue May 04, 2021 7:33 am

I don't think FTD are obliged to release both June 1977 shows in their entirety just because they are a collectors label.

In Person & On Stage were released in their original format with appropriate bonus material. Of course there was enough material left over for additional releases in both cases, but these performances showcase Elvis at the top of his game, so it made sense to revisit the recordings for more than one project.

People collect different things for different reasons. I was happy to see the UK compilation Hits Of The '70's released by FTD, and I wouldn't be against an FTD re-issue of the Welcome To My World album either. Both are albums that I enjoy playing, but I guess that experience is lost on people that leave everything in the shrink-wrap.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue May 04, 2021 7:48 am

rockinrebel wrote:I don't think FTD are obliged to release both June 1977 shows in their entirety just because they are a collectors label.

In Person & On Stage were released in their original format with appropriate bonus material. Of course there was enough material left over for additional releases in both cases, but these performances showcase Elvis at the top of his game, so it made sense to revisit the recordings for more than one project.

People collect different things for different reasons. I was happy to see the UK compilation Hits Of The '70's released by FTD, and I wouldn't be against an FTD re-issue of the Welcome To My World album either. Both are albums that I enjoy playing, but I guess that experience is lost on people that leave everything in the shrink-wrap.

What has ruined FTD is this sort of antiquated reasoning about what is being released by the label.
Hits of the 70's was non-essential as is Welcome to my world.
There is no reason to release compilations on a collectors label.
But if you are happy with this sort of half hazard, non essential releases
you can spend your money....I will save mine.
I am not in the habit of collecting covers.
Everything on both those albums has been released before.
My opinion on this label if its to survive, they better start raising the bar a bit.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Tue May 04, 2021 11:10 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:I don't think FTD are obliged to release both June 1977 shows in their entirety just because they are a collectors label.

What has ruined FTD is this sort of antiquated reasoning about what is being released by the label.
Hits of the 70's was non-essential as is Welcome to my world.
There is no reason to release compilations on a collectors label.
But if you are happy with this sort of half hazard, non essential releases
you can spend your money....I will save mine.
I am not in the habit of collecting covers.
Everything on both those albums has been released before.
My opinion on this label if its to survive, they better start raising the bar a bit.

What do you expect them to release?

There's very little left in the vaults. The sessions sets of are compiled from (mostly) previously released material, but lots of fans appear to enjoy them, and would like FTD to release more.

Personally, I'm happy with my 7" releases, as I prefer the sequencing when listening to the discs, but I'm not against the sets, and have bought the ones which are worthwhile to me.

Some of the 7" album re-issues didn't offer much in terms of new material due to unavailable out takes, but for titles that will never see a mainstream legacy re-issue, they are still a decent upgrade on the previous CD issues for those that collect such things.

Most Elvis fans collect 'covers' to a certain degree due to amount of duplicated material they have in their collections, and this applies even more so to those who buy things with no intention of ever playing them.

Topic author
scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Tue May 04, 2021 11:15 am

It is pointless to continue the trend for years to come by ignoring EIC. FTD has released concerts that are equal, or worse, to the performances of EIC. And then to think Houston 1976 was planned for release, by FTD. The hype surrounding EIC is exhausting and outdated. A label like FTD perfectly suits a release like EIC. Aimed at a small group of collectors, who know how things really work, and Elvis' image will hardly be negatively affected in this way, if ever. Although its quite naive, actually. You can eat your heart out, just by typing ''Elvis CBS 1977'' on Google. What is left to protect 1977's Elvis?

A release like ''Hits of the 70's'' was useless. I don't know if its true, but its been said that ''Hits of the 70's'' was a personal favorite of EJ. Either way, it contributed nothing, all the more because it was released through a collector's label. So leave out ''Welcome to my World'', and focus more on the damaged image of FTD.

JimmyCool

Postby JimmyCool » Tue May 04, 2021 3:48 pm

scottwalker wrote:

It is pointless to continue the trend for years to come by ignoring EIC. FTD has released concerts that are equal, or worse, to the performances of EIC. And then to think Houston 1976 was planned for release, by FTD. The hype surrounding EIC is exhausting and outdated. A label like FTD perfectly suits a release like EIC. Aimed at a small group of collectors, who know how things really work, and Elvis' image will hardly be negatively affected in this way, if ever. Although its quite naive, actually. You can eat your heart out, just by typing ''Elvis CBS 1977'' on Google. What is left to protect 1977's Elvis?

A release like ''Hits of the 70's'' was useless. I don't know if its true, but its been said that ''Hits of the 70's'' was a personal favorite of EJ. Either way, it contributed nothing, all the more because it was released through a collector's label. So leave out ''Welcome to my World'', and focus more on the damaged image of FTD.

Nor EJ, Roger Semon.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue May 04, 2021 4:22 pm

scottwalker wrote:

Thanks for posting some sense.

This notion, that FTD release every piece of vinyl ever released is exhausting.

FTD clearly needs new creativity at the helm.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Tue May 04, 2021 6:21 pm

scottwalker wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was Roger's decision for FTD to issue Hits of the '70's as he was working for RCA UK at the time of the original vinyl release. From a collector's standpoint the decision might have proved more popular if FTD had included the original mono single masters as per the UK vinyl release.

I don't see how FTD have a damaged image though. People collect different things for different reasons. Nobody is going to be pleased with every new release, and nobody is obliged to buy each new release either. I'm certainly happy to pick and choose - but over the years they have served us well.

Quite a few releases are starting to reprise previously released material, and this is inevitable as most of the out takes have already been issued, and FTD don't appear to have many live soundboards from the early part of the touring years.

So, it baffles me what people are now expecting from them in terms of new material?

The sessions releases appear to be popular with most fans, but in some cases they only offer a few minutes of previously unissued material. So, clearly 'new' material is not the priority for all collectors, and if the demand is there, the series will surely continue.

Personally, I don't expect FTD to re-issue Welcome To My World or any other '70's or '80's compilations, I was just making the point that such a release is something I would probably buy.

However, given that we could expect a proposed re-issue of the album to include a second disc of live & out take performances, it could possibly include more previously unreleased material than the recently released His Hand In Mine Sessions....food for thought.

Finally, I'm not suggesting that FTD shouldn't release the CBS recordings, and I'm certainly aware of what is already out there. I was simply giving an opinion of what they could do, should they revisit the tapes. And making the point that some fans would still welcome an upgrade of the original EIC album master, as the old '90's CD album could certainly be improved upon, and the title isn't likely to be given a mainstream re-issue any time soon.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue May 04, 2021 6:37 pm

FYI, the terrible sound on the Omaha show with Charlie coming in loud and clear is from the
broadcast audio by CBS.....There was technical problems that were solved a few songs in. .RCA's tapes should sound normal. Just compare the video of Fairytale and the audio from the album. Night and day.

But, even given that, Elvis In concert live material was the worse sounding live material they released when compared
to all material released during his lifetime.

so, I would welcome any kind of improvement with remastering that could be done, so that Omaha show could
be improved alot especially when compared with what we hear on that broadcast video.

And the Omaha show is better than New Haven 76, which FTD released.

I would just release both shows and just get it over with. Then no more debates about this material.

Also, a follow up release could be the final show if they can find it with a soundboard.

Johnny2523

Postby Johnny2523 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:30 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:FYI, the terrible sound on the Omaha show with Charlie coming in loud and clear is from the
broadcast audio by CBS.....There was technical problems that were solved a few songs in. .RCA's tapes should sound normal. Just compare the video of Fairytale and the audio from the album. Night and day.

But, even given that, Elvis In concert live material was the worse sounding live material they released when compared

so, I would welcome any kind of improvement with remastering that could be done, so that Omaha show could
be improved alot especially when compared with what we hear on that broadcast video.

I would just release both shows and just get it over with. Then no more debates about this material.

Also, a follow up release could be the final show if they can find it with a soundboard.

Let's not forget songs we're overdubbed for the in concert album

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue May 04, 2021 7:55 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:FYI, the terrible sound on the Omaha show with Charlie coming in loud and clear is from the

I already have the overdubbed album via RCA regular release.

So, good reminder, I would prefer both concerts UNdubbed. that would be great.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Wed May 05, 2021 9:46 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

I already have the overdubbed album via RCA regular release.

So, good reminder, I would prefer both concerts UNdubbed. that would be great.

And you have acknowledged in your above post that the original album master doesn't sound great, which is what I alluded to in my original post.

I appreciate that many fans would want both shows in their entirety, but as the original EIC album also needs a sound upgrade, there is definitely a market for both.

I think it's also fair to say that we have all heard the broadcast audio, and the bootleg releases from these shows, and are already well aware of the sound issues.

Return to “Everything Elvis”