Elvis Influence on ... Queen

All the Elvis you can take

TonyS

Re: Elvis Influence on ... Queen

Postby TonyS » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:02 pm

ELO always was, and still is Jeff Lynne in my opinion.
The founding fathers were Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne, but Roy left after the first album.
Jeff Lynne wrote and produced the 'ELO SOUND' so without him as front man there is no ELO of any configuration in my opinion, including the short lived 'ELO 2' that carried on without him originally when he quit.
Anyway, don't get me started on taking this off topic with ELO and Jeff Lynne.
As you were.
http://www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.

John

Postby John » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:16 pm

TonyS wrote:ELO always was, and still is Jeff Lynne in my opinion.
The founding fathers were Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne, but Roy left after the first album.
Jeff Lynne wrote and produced the 'ELO SOUND' so without him as front man there is no ELO of any configuration in my opinion, including the short lived 'ELO 2' that carried on without him originally when he quit.
Anyway, don't get me started on taking this off topic with ELO and Jeff Lynne.
As you were.

I agree. Jeff Lynne - whamalama, bamalama, rock 'n' roll is king.

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:25 pm

John wrote:
scottwalker wrote:
John wrote:
scottwalker wrote:
John wrote:
elvislady wrote:
minkahed wrote:Could you imagine Elvis working with Freddie ???

I usually do don't "what ifs", but in this case, I think the ending result would be amazing.

I think it would be a very different mix of music... Freddy was fantastic at what he did music wise... Amazing showman.

Most definitely. He was amazing.

Another.......,a bit harsh to say, who destroyed himself also. A front-man who had it, all. Charisma, a beautiful voice and quite important too, songwriting.

I don't understand, 2 of the original members still doing tours under the name ''Queen''. First they had Paul Rodgers as a substitute, but to come up with Adam Lambert? Really??? It's the same as KISS. 50% original, 50% replaced.

They own the name so they are entitled to do it.

That's not what i meant. How can you possibly go on as Queen without Freddie Mercury? Can you imagine U2 without Bono or The Stones without Jagger?

Yes I can imagine it. In fact it would probably be an improvement. The Rolling Stones + Rod Stewart, or U2 + any old shitty singer.

The Beach Boys performed as different configurations, so have Fleetwood Mac and so have dozens of other bands. The Platters and The Drifters consisted of many, many different members and ELO seem to be Jeff Lynne's ELO.

The remaining members of Queen own the name Queen, so as I said before, they are entitled to use it. They performed as Queen + Paul Rodgers. Then they performed as Queen + Adam Lambert.

Marks and Spencer are called Marks and Spencer, but neither Mr Marks or Mr Spencer is around anymore.

Rod Stewart is a brand on itself, and would not “in need”of The Rolling Stones.

Fleetwood Mac, originally a bluesband, but turned 180 degrees in 1970, and it worked successfully.

Other bands, that have succes with another leadsinger: Van Halen, AC/DC, Genesis.

Queen + Adam Lambert, yes, but Adam singing Queen songs.

KISS, Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons, who are 99% responsible for singing the songs, the other two were, as proved, replaceable. Their formula still works till this very day.

The lead-singer/front-man can’t be replaced in most cases, with bands like Led Zeppelin, The Who, U2, The Stones.

John

Postby John » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 pm

scottwalker wrote:
John wrote:
scottwalker wrote:
John wrote:
scottwalker wrote:
John wrote:
elvislady wrote:
minkahed wrote:Could you imagine Elvis working with Freddie ???

I usually do don't "what ifs", but in this case, I think the ending result would be amazing.

I think it would be a very different mix of music... Freddy was fantastic at what he did music wise... Amazing showman.

Most definitely. He was amazing.

Another.......,a bit harsh to say, who destroyed himself also. A front-man who had it, all. Charisma, a beautiful voice and quite important too, songwriting.

I don't understand, 2 of the original members still doing tours under the name ''Queen''. First they had Paul Rodgers as a substitute, but to come up with Adam Lambert? Really??? It's the same as KISS. 50% original, 50% replaced.

They own the name so they are entitled to do it.

That's not what i meant. How can you possibly go on as Queen without Freddie Mercury? Can you imagine U2 without Bono or The Stones without Jagger?

Yes I can imagine it. In fact it would probably be an improvement. The Rolling Stones + Rod Stewart, or U2 + any old shitty singer.

The Beach Boys performed as different configurations, so have Fleetwood Mac and so have dozens of other bands. The Platters and The Drifters consisted of many, many different members and ELO seem to be Jeff Lynne's ELO.

The remaining members of Queen own the name Queen, so as I said before, they are entitled to use it. They performed as Queen + Paul Rodgers. Then they performed as Queen + Adam Lambert.

Marks and Spencer are called Marks and Spencer, but neither Mr Marks or Mr Spencer is around anymore.

Rod Stewart is a brand on itself, and would not “in need”of The Rolling Stones.
I was just using him as an example. It could be someone not as "big".
Fleetwood Mac, originally a bluesband, but turned 180 degrees in 1970, and it worked successfully.

Other bands, that have succes with another leadsinger: Van Halen, AC/DC, Genesis.

Queen + Adam Lambert, yes, but Adam singing Queen songs.

KISS, Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons, who are 99% responsible for singing the songs, the other two were, as proved, replaceable. Their formula still works till this very day.

The lead-singer/front-man can’t be replaced in most cases, with bands like Led Zeppelin, The Who, U2, The Stones.

Obviously the front man can be replaced. Queen did it, other bands have done it. It goes all the way back....the Drifters did it.

What's wrong with Adam Lambert singing Queen songs? They have gone on tour as Queen + Adam Lambert, you'd expect them to perform Queen songs.

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:02 pm

Let me put it this way, in this case Queen, their catalog, cant be sung by another, but the original singer, because its authentic and unique. Freddy Mercury is in the same league as Elvis Presley.

Uhhhh, Adam Lambert..........and who may that be? Second place “American Idol”. (source: wikipedia, i didnt knew that)

Says enough, i think, to participate on such a contest. Kinda desperate, that Brian May and Roger Taylor chose this guy. John Deacon made the right choice, Queen died in november 1991. A resurrection is impossible.

Guess ill like to stick with the “originals”.

Most Elvis fans hate impersonaters. Queen 2021 is a good example of that.

John

Postby John » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:10 pm

scottwalker wrote:Let me put it this way, in this case Queen, their catalog, cant be sung by another, but the original singer, because its authentic and unique. Freddy Mercury is in the same league as Elvis Presley.

Uhhhh, Adam Lambert..........and who may that be? Second place “American Idol”. (source: wikipedia, i didnt knew that)

Says enough, i think, to participate on such a contest. Kinda desperate, that Brian May and Roger Taylor chose this guy. John Deacon made the right choice, Queen died in november 1991. A resurrection is impossible.

Guess ill like to stick with the “originals”.

Most Elvis fans hate impersonaters. Queen 2021 is a good example of that.

I like Queen, I wouldn't buy anything with Adam Lamberton it, but I might go see them in concert. I'd watch them on TV.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:36 pm

John wrote:...Marks and Spencer are called Marks and Spencer, but neither Mr Marks or Mr Spencer is around anymore.

But the rest of the company aren't doing gigs, are they ?
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:58 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:...Marks and Spencer are called Marks and Spencer, but neither Mr Marks or Mr Spencer is around anymore.

But the rest of the company aren't doing gigs, are they ?

Oh but they are, with a constant changing of members.
https://corporate.marksandspencer.com/a ... rship-team

Matt Helm

Postby Matt Helm » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:25 am

Rickeap

Postby Rickeap » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:59 am

The King and Queen...what could have been

Matt Helm

Postby Matt Helm » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:18 am

Which Queen Rickeap...?! Aretha or Elizabeth... ;)

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:44 am

Matt Helm wrote:Which Queen Rickeap...?! Aretha or Elizabeth... ;)

You forgot Madonna.

John

Postby John » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:47 am

scottwalker wrote:
Matt Helm wrote:Which Queen Rickeap...?! Aretha or Elizabeth... ;)

You forgot Madonna.

That's the best way.

Matt Helm

Postby Matt Helm » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:46 am

Return to “Everything Elvis”