Something really weird I noticed - Ken Burns documentary soundtrack to "Country Music - A Film By Ken Burns"

All the Elvis you can take

Simon1

Re: Something really weird I noticed - Ken Burns documentary soundtrack to "Country Music - A Film By Ken Burns"

Postby Simon1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:17 am

Those few seconds accomplish more already than that Scientology monstrocity The Searcher. Thom Zimney hopefully will be watching and learn something.

I look foward to the series, and thank the Lord no grieving "widow" Cilla or comatose Jerry Schilling around!

OnStage55

Re: Something really weird I noticed - Ken Burns documentary soundtrack to "Country Music - A Film By Ken Burns"

Postby OnStage55 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:22 am

Just a heads up. 8-)

The documentary starts this Sunday night at 8 pm

EPISODES 1 - 8 - 16hrs

The Rub (Beginnings -- 1933)
WKAR HDTV | Sunday, Sep. 15 at 8 pm and 10 pm
"Hillbilly music" reaches new listeners through phonographs and radio, launching the careers of country music's first big stars -- the Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers.

Hard Times (1933-1945)
WKAR HDTV | Monday, Sep. 16 at 8 pm and 10 pm
Nashville, Tenn., becomes the center of the country music industry as it grows in popularity during the Great Depression and World War II.

Hillbilly Shakespeare (1945-1953)
WKAR HDTV | Tuesday, Sep. 17 at 8 pm and 10 pm
The country stars of post-war America, including Hank Williams, whose songs are inspired by his troubled and tragically short life.

I Can't Stop Loving You (1953-1963)
WKAR HDTV | Wednesday, Sep. 18 at 8 pm and 10 pm
A visit to Memphis, Tenn., during the age of rockabilly with Sun Studios artists Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley; Ray Charles crosses over racial borders by recording a country
album; Patsy Cline rises to stardom with a smooth new sound.

The Sons and Daughters of America (1964-1968)
WKAR HDTV | Sunday, Sep. 22 at 8 pm and 10 pm
Country music artists like Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard and Charley Pride reflect a changing America as they appeal to wide audiences.

Will the Circle Be Unbroken? (1968-1972)
WKAR HDTV | Monday, Sep. 23 at 8 pm and 10 pm
Country music draws artists to Nashville, Tenn., as the war in Vietnam wages on; Kris Kristofferson sets a lyrical standard; Bob Dylan and The Byrds, among others, come to
Nashville, Tenn., to record.

Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way? (1973-1983)
WKAR HDTV | Tuesday, Sep. 24 at 8 pm and 10 pm
Mainstream crossovers and a new "Outlaw" sound are prevalent in country music during the years 1973-1983.

Don't Get Above Your Raisin' (1984-1996)
WKAR HDTV | Wednesday, Sep. 25 at 8 pm and 10 pm
As the genre takes off, country music artists such as George Strait, Randy Travis and the Judds work to keep country music true to its roots; the rise of Garth Brooks and the return
of Johnny Cash.

Source: :arrow: http://www.elvis-express.com/news2019-09-1501.htm
Last edited by OnStage55 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:03 am

Simon1 wrote:Those few seconds accomplish more already than that Scientology monstrocity The Searcher. Thom Zimney hopefully will be watching and learn something.

I look foward to the series, and thank the Lord no grieving "widow" Cilla or comatose Jerry Schilling around!

I seriously doubt Thom will be watching specifically to learn about unseen footage.

Film makers like him wouldn't know what's seen or unseen and they probably don't care they use whatever is given to them.

Besides, didn't the Searcher contain unseen footage? Elvis and Sam Phillips footage from 1961 was totally new wasn't it? And there was others too?

I do agree about Jerry and Cilla....they bore the hell out of me.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:30 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:Those few seconds accomplish more already than that Scientology monstrocity The Searcher. Thom Zimney hopefully will be watching and learn something.

I seriously doubt Thom will be watching specifically to learn about unseen footage.

Film makers like him wouldn't know what's seen or unseen and they probably don't care they use whatever is given to them.

Besides, didn't the Searcher contain unseen footage? Elvis and Sam Phillips footage from 1961 was totally new wasn't it? And there was others too?

Yes the Searcher did have that short clip of Elvis and Sam from 1961. The best clip in the whole movie.

But, and I was going to bring this up earlier, that Ken Burns making a documentary on Country music, was going to
have to include a snippet about Elvis, because although Elvis was mainly a rocknroll, rockabilly, pop star singer, he
was not known for his country music contributions, even though he did include country music at his shows and albums.

Given that...Ken Burns could have used any old clip to make his point about Elvis' contribution to country music,
isn't it just a tad suspicious that he finds and uses a previously unknown clip from 1957.....this just can't be coincidence.

Simon1

Postby Simon1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:58 am

@MojoFilter, yes there was the sparse new clip but all very very short.
@Cadillac-Elvis Exactly my point, a series not directed at Elvis perse but the directors obviously went out of their way to obtain footage new to even hardcore fans.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:22 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

Yes the Searcher did have that short clip of Elvis and Sam from 1961. The best clip in the whole movie.

But, and I was going to bring this up earlier, that Ken Burns making a documentary on Country music, was going to
have to include a snippet about Elvis, because although Elvis was mainly a rocknroll, rockabilly, pop star singer, he
was not known for his country music contributions, even though he did include country music at his shows and albums.

Given that...Ken Burns could have used any old clip to make his point about Elvis' contribution to country music,
isn't it just a tad suspicious that he finds and uses a previously unknown clip from 1957.....this just can't be coincidence.

I bet Ken Burns wouldn't know from adam if the unseen clip of Elvis he used for this documentary is seen or unseen. He probably used what was given to him.

For all we know, just like the Searcher with the Elvis and Sam footage, this maybe the only unseen footage in the whole documentary - we won't know until the full doc as been seen.

Even if this unseen footage in this Country doc is the only one i just hope there's at least a few more seconds of it.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Judith

Postby Judith » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:45 pm

More footage has turned up. featuring an ubercool Elvis and Johnny Cash!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QHR7Dc8Bx8
Without a song the road would never bend

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Pink&Black wrote:More footage has turned up. featuring an ubercool Elvis and Johnny Cash!

Holy crap !

Fantastic stuff. Elvis is clearly doing the "Baby I Don't Care" routine. Nice Johnny Cash film too.

Thank you !

John

Postby John » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:22 pm

Pink&Black wrote:More footage has turned up. featuring an ubercool Elvis and Johnny Cash!

Bloody hellfire. Now that is amazing. Where the hell has that been hiding?

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:38 pm

John wrote:

Bloody hellfire. Now that is amazing. Where the hell has that been hiding?

The same place as a lot of other stuff, in private hands.
Clearly someone has done a deal and I hope they've been paid well for it, at the end of the day it's all about the mighty dollar.

JustinGausman

Postby JustinGausman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:42 pm

My guess would be Cash/Carter estates. The whole documentary is packed to the brim with content from the Carter Family starting in Episode 1 and the whole series pretty much closing out with Johnny's death in Episode 8.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:30 am

Mister Moon wrote:

Holy crap !

Fantastic stuff. Elvis is clearly doing the "Baby I Don't Care" routine. Nice Johnny Cash film too.

Thank you !

It is great to see the two Sun giants together.

It appears the footage might come from the Johnny Cash estate. My guess is that when Ken Burns was putting together the doc and got around to Cash he had help from the Cash estate to supply him with various bits of info etc...so they let him use some footage and one just happened to have Elvis in it.

The question is: where was this footage taken? It's obviously 1957. It's either after the release of "Jailhouse Rock" or it could be while he was still filming the movie and demonstrating a scene to Johnny in the movie, in this case, "Baby I Don't Care" scene and showing him the dance moves he uses in the film.

There's a lot of these silent colour home movie footage of country stars from the early 50s onwards. Particularly when they were touring they did them for their own amusement and for keepsakes. And just "maybe" there could be other country stars of the era with their own private footage they may have lent out to Ken Burns, and there "maybe" another bit of footage with Elvis in it that we haven't seen.

Still, it's great to see unseen footage of these Country stars alone.

Wonder if they have found any new footage of Hank Williams.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:46 am

A clue is that building across the street from the building they are in.
If someone can recognize it, we might have a place at least.

John

Postby John » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:25 am

JustinGausman wrote:My guess would be Cash/Carter estates.

My thoughts too.

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:38 am

Here is Brian Petersen’s take on the video:

I´m gonna give you a very likely date for this fabulous clip with Johnny Cash and Elvis.
First of all, the footage with Cash is from different dates and places. The piece where he is walking on the sidewalk is from Canada. In the background you have a building where it says Canada Pickers and a bit to the right there is signs for Highway 17 and 69. They cross each other in Sudbury, Ontario where Cash played on April 22, 1957.

So how about the footage with Elvis and Johnny Cash! When and where did their path cross. It is obviously the Jailhouse Rock dance number that Elvis shows for Cash. Well, not for Cash as in money, Cash as in Johnny Cash.

Cash started out on a tour in California on May 31, 1957 and ended in Oakland on June 8. Elvis was filming JR and on Saturday, June 1, 1957 Johnny Cash played Compton, Ca. about 10 miles south of Downtown Los Angeles.

So, why not meet up with Elvis at 2 in the afternoon of June 1, 1957 and watch those pelvic movements.
ImageImage

Return to “Everything Elvis”