I'm Leavin' - The Live Comparison Series - Volume Thirteen

Movies, TV and You Tube

Topic author
Leon410

I'm Leavin' - The Live Comparison Series - Volume Thirteen

Postby Leon410 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:22 pm

Recorded in Nashville on 20 May 1971, Elvis wasted no time adding "I'm Leavin" to his set list and was always given a committed performance by Elvis although the tempo of the live versions was slightly quicker than it's studio counterpart. Dropped completely from his set list during 1972, it reemerged the following year but not soon enough for it to be included in the Aloha shows, which is a pity as it would certainly have been a welcome addition. This is even more regrettable considering it's reemergence was just weeks after the shows in Hawaii, in the latter half of the Las Vegas engagement which began just a fortnight after those satellite concerts.
There was almost four and a half years between the first and last live renditions of "I'm Leavin'" by Elvis between July 1971 and December 1975 and in the one hundred plus performances of the song it is impossible to find a poor version, making it sometimes the highlight of some shows.

Not a great deal of difference between versions but still great to hear this superb song sung live.

Version One - 21 August 1971, Midnight Show - Las Vegas Hilton
This early live version is very similar in style to the studio recording

Version Two - 10 November 1971 - The Boston Garden Arena
The last time Elvis would sing the song on stage for almost fifteen months.
This soundboard version is taken from his show in The Boston Garden on 10 November 1971, and is one of that show's highlights. This show was originally released as a much sought after bootleg called 'The Power of Zhazzam' in 1996, but was finally officially released by Sony on the "Follow That Dream" label in 2010 with considerably improved audio quality.

Version Three - 22 February 1973 midnight show - Las Vegas Hilton
Suffering quite badly from a sore throat, Elvis still gives an excellent rendition.

Version Four - 13 May 1973, Midnight Show
A great version with a quite low key beginning

Version Five - 24 August 1974, Midnight Show - Las Vegas Hilton

Version Six - 31 May 1975 , Evening Show - Huntsville, Alabama

The second of only four known 1975 renditions.

Version Seven - 15 December 1975, Closing Show - Las Vegas Hilton
The final live rendition!

https://youtu.be/n5H_NxYDJiw

Return to “The King On Screen”