Polk Salad Annie - 11 August 1970, Dinner Show - Re-edited with RCA/Sony audio

Movies, TV and You Tube

Topic author
Leon410

Polk Salad Annie - 11 August 1970, Dinner Show - Re-edited with RCA/Sony audio

Postby Leon410 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Tony Joe White's 'Polk Salad Annie' which described the the lifestyle of a poor rural Southern girl and her family, gave Elvis the opportunity to incorporate his love of Karate into his stage show. This showmanship would contribute to the song becoming a fan favourite almost instantly.

The song's first appearance on an album was in the form of the official RCA master which had been recorded at the midnight show on 18 February and subsequently released on 'On Stage - February 1970'.

As the tours came and went so the song and it's arrangement would evolve. The first major change came exactly a year after this first live performance at the opening show of his fourth Vegas engagement on 26 January 1971 where with a slighter faster tempo the spoken intro was dropped. The length of the song would also be shorter going from over four minutes to around the three minute mark but the physical intensity of the song would have grown. By the middle of this engagement however, the spoken intro would be reinstated and would continue to be used until the end of the August 71 Vegas engagement but then only on a show by show basis on his November 71 tour.

From Elvis' first show of 1972, in Las Vegas on 26 January the spoken intro was now dropped permanently and the faster more bass orientated arrangement akin to MSG and 'On Tour' was adopted.

From this point on there was no doubt as to the driving force behind the song was the bass playing of Jerry Scheff and the song now included a short bass solo. Testimony to how important Scheff was to the song's new arrangement can be heard in 1974 shows when Jerry Scheff took his years sabbatical and his place taken by Duke Bardwell and Emory Gordy and this included the March 74 Memphis shows. As accomplished bass players as Bardwell and Gordy were, they did not appear to be able to drive the song in the same way that Scheff did, and the 1974 versions seem to lack something in that department.

The final major change to the songs arrangement came in Uniondale, New York on 19 July 1975 where some brass was added to the intro. This arrangement would last until the final time Elvis would sing the song on stage at the closing show of his penultimate tour in Mobile, Alabama on 2 June 1977.

Curiously despite performing the song at virtually every show in both 1972 and 1974 it was sung only twice in the whole of 1973, both time in Las Vegas, on 15 February Dinner Show and on 3 September Dinner Show which was the second last show of that engagement.

This wonderful live version was performed during Elvis' dinner show on 11 August, the second show of his third Las Vegas engagement. The cameras of MGM were in situ and caught this rendition in full although it was the version from the midnight show of 12 August which made it into the final edit of both That's The Way It Is movies.

As with all of these videos, to get the most out of the re-edited audio, I highly recommend you use ear /headphones and turn the volume up as much as you dare!!
https://youtu.be/KyasBgbNc2I

Colin B

Re: Polk Salad Annie - 11 August 1970, Dinner Show - Re-edited with RCA/Sony audio

Postby Colin B » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:49 pm

That's great !

Thank you, Leon410 !

Wasn't it fortunate that cameras & decent audio recorders were present during that summer of 1970 !

He was on a high !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
Leon410

Re: Polk Salad Annie - 11 August 1970, Dinner Show - Re-edited with RCA/Sony audio

Postby Leon410 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:10 pm

Colin B wrote:That's great !

Thank you, Leon410 !

Wasn't it fortunate that cameras & decent audio recorders were present during that summer of 1970 !

He was on a high !

Look for plenty more of these to come, my friend!!

John

Postby John » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Leon410 wrote:
Colin B wrote:That's great !

Thank you, Leon410 !

He was on a high !

Look for plenty more of these to come, my friend!!

Can you join them up into one long movie?

Topic author
Leon410

Postby Leon410 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:34 pm

They are on my YouTube channel, John. All six shows are complete in individual playlists and where there is no video, the song play with pictures only. Hope this helps. Click on the link below for the 11 August DS.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHFF336wAnIja1z_jg_0O4U2t8ln4scuM

John

Postby John » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:41 pm

Leon410 wrote:They are on my YouTube channel, John. All six shows are complete in individual playlists and where there is no video, the song play with pictures only. Hope this helps. Click on the link below for the 11 August DS.

That's quite a collection you have there.

Topic author
Leon410

Postby Leon410 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:21 pm

John wrote:
Leon410 wrote:They are on my YouTube channel, John. All six shows are complete in individual playlists and where there is no video, the song play with pictures only. Hope this helps. Click on the link below for the 11 August DS.

I've not long restarted it. I lost my previous one, along with 35,000+ subscribers, because of one individual who is buying up all the amateur footage and then giving copyright strikes to anyone who has the footage on their channel!! However, it gave me an opportunity to redo a lot of the stuff - silver lining and all that!!

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:58 am

Leon410 wrote:
John wrote:

I've not long restarted it. I lost my previous one, along with 35,000+ subscribers, because of one individual who is buying up all the amateur footage and then giving copyright strikes to anyone who has the footage on their channel!! However, it gave me an opportunity to redo a lot of the stuff - silver lining and all that!!

Welcome aboard Leon. Been plugging your work here both before and after my sabbatical at Phoenix (eg October 2018 - june 2020). Will you be able to put up the complete 1972 Madison Square Garden presser ?

Topic author
Leon410

Postby Leon410 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:52 am

I noticed Walter, and I was going to send you a PM thanking you for that - it is very much appreciated. The MSG footage was one of the items which received one of the copyright strikes that I mentioned and I am therefore very hesitant about re uploading it.

John

Postby John » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:14 pm

Leon410 wrote:I noticed Walter, and I was going to send you a PM thanking you for that - it is very much appreciated. The MSG footage was one of the items which received one of the copyright strikes that I mentioned and I am therefore very hesitant about re uploading it.

You can upload movies directly to here. It depends on the size of the movie, but I think all the clips you have on youtube that you've posted so far, can be uploaded here. Just drag it into your dialogue box.

Give it a try.

Topic author
Leon410

Postby Leon410 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:07 pm

John wrote:
Leon410 wrote:I noticed Walter, and I was going to send you a PM thanking you for that - it is very much appreciated. The MSG footage was one of the items which received one of the copyright strikes that I mentioned and I am therefore very hesitant about re uploading it.

You can upload movies directly to here. It depends on the size of the movie, but I think all the clips you have on youtube that you've posted so far, can be uploaded here. Just drag it into your dialogue box.

Give it a try.

Will do John!! I'll start with the ones that can't get past YouTubes' copyright.

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:18 am

John wrote:

Give it a try.

Leon put together and put up a really cool edit with some new footage last year on the MSG presser, including very wisely using some graphics on the reporters pitching questions to Elvis (i.e. original audio from reporters was very low). Did you see this, John ?

Return to “The King On Screen”