I'm Leavin' - 10 November 1971, Boston Garden Arena (First Live Soundboard Version)

Movies, TV and You Tube

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

I'm Leavin' - 10 November 1971, Boston Garden Arena (First Live Soundboard Version)

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:38 am

This is easily my fave of all the live versions i heard as Elvis tended to sing the song too fast thereafter. It became worse especially in 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyBn5EKwOC8&feature=emb_logo

Quote Leon : The studio master was recorded In Nashville on 20 May, 1971 the song is moody and restrained. Elvis did not rely on his pipes to carry this song. Instead he depended on his artistic sensibilities to get the song's story across ... Elvis and his group committed a good deal of hard, sustained effort to I'm Leavin'. They were not rushing through this one. Between takes 3 and 4 he acknowledged his fondness for the song, saying, 'Phew man, it's tough, but the thing is worth working on'. :

Elvis added the song to the setlist for his fifth Las Vegas Season from 9 August to 6 September and there are many good versions throughout that season. There are as yet no soundboard recordings from that Vegas season and some people prefer this to audience recordings. My own opinion is that good quality audience recordings give a 'fly on the wall' feel to the listening experience as it is recorded almost as the audience themselves heard it.

This soundboard version is taken from that show in The Boston Garden on 10 November 1971 and is one of that show's highlights. This show was originally released as a much sought after bootleg called 'The Power of Zhazzam' in 1996 but was finally officially released by Sony on the FTD label in 2010 with considerably improved audio quality.

As with all of these videos, to get the most out of the re-edited audio, I highly recommend you use ear /headphones and turn the volume up as much as you dare!

John

Re: I'm Leavin' - 10 November 1971, Boston Garden Arena (First Live Soundboard Version)

Postby John » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:33 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:This is easily my fave of all the live versions i heard as Elvis tended to sing the song too fast thereafter. It became worse especially in 1974.

He sung too many songs too fast. No respect for some of those beautiful songs.

crashdog

Re: I'm Leavin' - 10 November 1971, Boston Garden Arena (First Live Soundboard Version)

Postby crashdog » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:01 am

This show was originally released as a much sought after bootleg called 'The Power of Zhazzam' in 1996 but was finally officially released by Sony on the FTD label in 2010 with considerably improved audio quality.

I have the original Power of Zhazzam disc. But without the cover... I bought it when it was just released back in '96.

Cheers
Gery

Return to “The King On Screen”