Viva Las Vegas

Continuity gaffes and other mistakes [mostly] in Elvis movies

Colin B

Re: Viva Las Vegas

Postby Colin B » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:39 pm

Shawn1968 wrote:...While I'm here, the other thing I find odd about the film is the car race - wow, it's like watching Death Race 2000!
How many drivers die in that race?
If I was a driver, it's one race I would want no part of.

It was all set up for filming, so nobody died !

To film a car race without crashes wouldn't be interesting enough for a film !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

CharlieScarf
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby CharlieScarf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:20 pm

Luuk wrote:
elvislady wrote:Thanks john, its really interesting to see the bloopers...how could they get it wrong? :oops:

A 90 minutes movie is filmed during 6 weeks or more.
Parts of the same scene may be filmed hours, days or even weeks apart.
That is why they shoot "wardrobe" photos. However, if one day it is sunny and the other day cloudy, one or more bandmembers may "suddenly" have sunglasses on. Or the main character climbs out of the swimming pool wet and in the next shot he "suddenly" is dry. Or things in the background "move".

Also, in television, most scenes are done on 3 or 4 cameras at a time, so switching angles etc everything matches, but movies are done one camera at a time. So they film the scene wide, then close, then close of Elvis, then of Ann Margret, then cut aways, then over the shoulder shots - each scene is played about 10 times. Then they are edited together. It can take days to do one scene.
"We'll bring in The Supremes tomorrow night... Mahalia Jackson singing Lead..."

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:26 am

CharlieScarf wrote:
Luuk wrote:
elvislady wrote:Thanks john, its really interesting to see the bloopers...how could they get it wrong? :oops:

A 90 minutes movie is filmed during 6 weeks or more.
Parts of the same scene may be filmed hours, days or even weeks apart.
That is why they shoot "wardrobe" photos. However, if one day it is sunny and the other day cloudy, one or more bandmembers may "suddenly" have sunglasses on. Or the main character climbs out of the swimming pool wet and in the next shot he "suddenly" is dry. Or things in the background "move".

Also, in television, most scenes are done on 3 or 4 cameras at a time, so switching angles etc everything matches, but movies are done one camera at a time. So they film the scene wide, then close, then close of Elvis, then of Ann Margret, then cut aways, then over the shoulder shots - each scene is played about 10 times. Then they are edited together. It can take days to do one scene.

I went to see a TV show here in UK, being filmed in manchester. It was interesting to see how many takes and angles they filmed from. It must be a long process then putting it all together.
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

Topic author
John

Postby John » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:05 pm

Colin B wrote:Good to see the 'Bloopers' back !

I may have posted this before, but the Ann-Margret shoe thing might not be an actual 'mistake'.

It's a bit of Hollywood 'magic' when a lady performer is required to stand & sing [high heels] & also to dance [low heels] !

She looked great in either !

It's taken me nearly 4 years to get back to this, and it's an excuse to see the delectable miss A-M dancing. Watch those shoes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-wqzq3ywU

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:47 pm

I may have posted this before, but the Ann-Margret shoe thing might not be an actual 'mistake'.

It's a bit of Hollywood 'magic' when a lady performer is required to stand & sing [high heels] & also to dance [low heels] !

John wrote:It's taken me nearly 4 years to get back to this, and it's an excuse to see the delectable miss A-M dancing. Watch those shoes.

Thanks for the video !

I still don't think it's a 'continuity' mistake !

Some dance steps were easier to perform in flat shoes & some in heels.

They filmed it both ways & selected the best results to be edited into the final sequence.

She was delectable, wasn't she ?
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:24 pm

Colin B wrote:

John wrote:It's taken me nearly 4 years to get back to this, and it's an excuse to see the delectable miss A-M dancing. Watch those shoes.

Thanks for the video !

I still don't think it's a 'continuity' mistake !

Some dance steps were easier to perform in flat shoes & some in heels.

They filmed it both ways & selected the best results to be edited into the final sequence.

She was jumping about in high heels without any trouble, then did a spin in flats, then again danced in high heels including a spin, and did more of the same in flats. They obviously filmed it both ways, but it was wrong to mix them, therefore in terms of continuity, it was a mistake.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:48 pm

John wrote:During the helicopter flight Elvis is wearing a cap and headphones, there's a quick cutaway and then the headphones are down and the cap is gone.

Here it is in real time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V_GoH-GSZE&feature=youtu.be

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:02 am

John wrote:
John wrote:During the helicopter flight Elvis is wearing a cap and headphones, there's a quick cutaway and then the headphones are down and the cap is gone.

During the few seconds when we have the shot of the dam with Ann-Margret talking, he could have quickly taken off the cap & headphones...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:27 am

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:

During the few seconds when we have the shot of the dam with Ann-Margret talking, he could have quickly taken off the cap & headphones...

He could, but why, and as he was not seen doing so, it has led to the conclusion that it’s a blooper. The same could apply to Scotty’s sunglasses in Jailhouse Rock and also the guy and his sunglasses during The Climb. They kept taking them off and putting them on....err, I don’t think so.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:34 am

P.S. Colin, you do know they weren’t really flying, don’t you. So, scene number xxx2, Elvis with cap and headphones, scene xxx2, Elvis without cap and headphones. Perhaps colonel snow can find the script for VLV and the bit where it says Lucky removed cap and headphones as they are spoiling his hairstyle.

Did you have a good Christmas?

Ed A

Postby Ed A » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:04 am

John wrote:P.S. Colin, you do know they weren’t really flying, don’t you. So, scene number xxx2, Elvis with cap and headphones, scene xxx2, Elvis without cap and headphones. Perhaps colonel snow can find the script for VLV and the bit where it says Lucky removed cap and headphones as they are spoiling his hairstyle.

I'm not Colonel Snow, but here is the scene in the script:
VLV.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:44 am

Ed A wrote:
John wrote:P.S. Colin, you do know they weren’t really flying, don’t you. So, scene number xxx2, Elvis with cap and headphones, scene xxx2, Elvis without cap and headphones. Perhaps colonel snow can find the script for VLV and the bit where it says Lucky removed cap and headphones as they are spoiling his hairstyle.

I'm not Colonel Snow, but here is the scene in the script:VLV.jpg

Thank you Ed A. Gosh, where do you get these scripts from?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:54 am

Another illusion shattered !

You'll be telling me next that he didn't water ski in Clambake !

Yes, a great time !

Xmas Day with my daughter & family, Boxing Day with my sister & niece.

Today, a day of rest & recuperation.

Tomorrow, a day with my son & his family.

How about you ?

BTW - Elvis did all his own stunts, like flying, diving & surfing, otherwise why would he need training & instruction like this ?

Elvis - Blue Hawaii [3].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:08 am

Colin B wrote:

Another illusion shattered !

You'll be telling me next that he didn't water ski in Clambake !
We know that he was a great water skier as we have seen photos and footage of him doing so in the 50s. Or was it a stand in?
Yes, a great time !

Xmas Day with my daughter & family, Boxing Day with my sister & niece.
Lovely.
Today, a day of rest & recuperation.
Well deserved I expect, after all that eggnog and veggie lunch.
Tomorrow, a day with my son & his family.
More presents, for the man that has everything.
How about you ?
Fabulous. Massive family lunch at a local pub, afterwards all together opening pressies (my daughters and my mother truly spoiled me) and then several of us on guitars and singing Christmas songs.

BTW - Elvis did all his own stunts, like flying, diving & surfing, otherwise why would he need training & instruction like this ?
I think you have a point. He took risks though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJPybmxIQkQ

Elvis - Blue Hawaii [3].jpg

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:26 am

John wrote:
Ed A wrote:

I'm not Colonel Snow, but here is the scene in the script:VLV.jpg

Thank you Ed A. Gosh, where do you get these scripts from?

A few of those scripts are for sale in PDF format here:

https://www.scriptfly.com/searchpage/Se ... php?reload

Beware of titles like Kid Galahad - it's not the Elvis' movie.
Another scripts are not original scripts but dialogue continuity scripts (used for translation into foreign languages etc).

It's a pity some interesting scripts are not available and when these scripts are auctioned you pay at least $ 800 or more.

colonel snow

Return to “Blooper Reel”