Introduce Yourself

Topic author
piamaa
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Hi everyone ! I'm Piamaa :)

Postby piamaa » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi !

I am Piamaa, I'm 25 and I'm a french girl (I apologize if I do some mistakes, I try to improve my english :)). I work as a journalist. I don't know if I can define myself as an Elvis fan, but I really appreciate his music. I really discovered his incredible life and his music on last june during a trip in USA.

For the little story, I did a trip with a friend during three months this year. The trip include a step at Memphis and Nashville. We already knew about their reputation as "capital of rock and country" and about BB King, etc... and Elvis of course ! But before visiting those cities, I was not an Elvis fan. At this time, in my mind, Elvis was just the singer of few songs that I liked (essentially suspicious minds, little less conversation and blue suede shoes), and all that I knew was at the end of his life, he was sick, drug addict, fat and and that he died in his bathroom (and his costumes were a little bit kitch ^^), and that today, old ladies are still in love with him ^^.

But when I finally came in Memphis... what a shock ! Since my childhood, I always loved rock'n'roll, blues, country, etc. So when I arrived there, it was like heaven, I really loved the spirit, the atmosphere of this city ! And with my friend, we wanted to visit Graceland just to see all of the kitch of this house, and to discover a little bit more about Elvis. And for me, it was a second big shock.
I completely fell in love with his music, and after this visit, I wanted to know more and more about Elvis, to understand why he was called "The King", and why everybody said he was the King of rock'n'roll. For me, it was unbelievable because I was wondering how a man can generate so much passion around the world, without do some concerts in a foreign country or wrote some songs, even almost 40 years after his death, and with "only" 20 years of career (included some bad movies). I absolutely wanted to know how he became this cultural figure in this world. For me, the most incredible is the fact that he became a legend without going outside USA ! It's incredible because in the 50,'s, 60's, 70's, we don't have internet or the communication tools that we have today.

So when I get back in France, I read the Peter Guralnick biography and this book was just incredible. I learned so much about rock, country, r'n'b and gospel music, I discovered so much about Elvis, and the more I read, the more I was sad to see the downfall of Elvis. I was almost crying at the end of the book, and the day I finished this book, I was unable to listen an Elvis' song, because I was too sad ! :lol:

I am so sorry, this text is so long ! ^^
Well, I can't explain what happened in me the day I visited Graceland, I really, really, really don't understand, but I bless this day so much ! :) And I don't know what Elvis music did in my mind but I am happy to find some people to discuss about Elvis and about his music :)
And that's why I am here, because I prefer to share this new passion with you :)

See you !
Graceland - June 2015

Colin B

Re: Hi everyone ! I'm Piamaa :)

Postby Colin B » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:09 pm

A warm welcome to the forum, Piamaa !

Yes, Elvis' music does have a lot to offer, especially if you look beyond the well-known hits !

Have fun here !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Luuk

Postby Luuk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:25 pm

Welcome here, Piamaa.
I became an Elvis fan in 1959. In those days not much "teenage" music on the radio here.
Nor did I speak or understand any foreign language.
I always find it funny that in a lot of European countries rock and roll songs were translated and sung by local artists.
My interest in music is quite wide. From France I have a lot of music by singers like Johnny Hallyday, Francoise Hardy, Edith Piaf and Jacques Brel.
Also Les Chaussettes Noires and other French guitar groups are in my collection.

Topic author
piamaa
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby piamaa » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks you both ! :)

Luuk, if you like those french singers, you can listen to Jacques Dutronc, and Serge Gainsbourg (this one is less rock but he is an incredible lyricist, maybe the best in France). And in my country, it's very funny because there is an old french rock singer called Dick Rivers (when he was young, he had a group called "Les chats sauvages") and I realized only few weeks ago he had borrowed the name of the Elvis' character in "Loving you" (Deke Rivers) as a tribute ;)

Johnny Hallyday is "our" Elvis Presley ^^But I don't really appreciate his music, except for few songs. On the other way, there is another very famous singer, called Claude François, born in Egypt but he emigrated in France during his childhood. This is not rock at all, but he reminds me Elvis, because he drives girls crazy too (^^), he brought a fresh wind in France (he was one of the first to understand the importance of disco music, and brought disco on his songs in the 60's-70's), and he died very young (38 I think), just before begin an international career. As Elvis, he had a great sense of showmanship. He understood everything in the show-business (he even created an erotic magazine in the 60's and he was one of the photograph haha), created fan-club, his own record label. He was a self made man.
Graceland - June 2015

Luuk

Postby Luuk » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:07 am

piamaa wrote:Thanks you both ! :)

Luuk, if you like those french singers, you can listen to Jacques Dutronc, and Serge Gainsbourg (this one is less rock but he is an incredible lyricist, maybe the best in France). And in my country, it's very funny because there is an old french rock singer called Dick Rivers (when he was young, he had a group called "Les chats sauvages") and I realized only few weeks ago he had borrowed the name of the Elvis' character in "Loving you" (Deke Rivers) as a tribute ;)

Johnny Hallyday is "our" Elvis Presley ^^But I don't really appreciate his music, except for few songs. On the other way, there is another very famous singer, called Claude François, born in Egypt but he emigrated in France during his childhood. This is not rock at all, but he reminds me Elvis, because he drives girls crazy too (^^), he brought a fresh wind in France (he was one of the first to understand the importance of disco music, and brought disco on his songs in the 60's-70's), and he died very young (38 I think), just before begin an international career. As Elvis, he had a great sense of showmanship. He understood everything in the show-business (he even created an erotic magazine in the 60's and he was one of the photograph haha), created fan-club, his own record label. He was a self made man.

I do not like Jacques Dutronc's music/singing. I have several DVD's with old French music clips. Also he is featured in documentary about his wife Francoise Hardy.
Serge Gainsbourg is not my cup of tea either. I prefer rock and roll.
While waiting at the entrance of the old RAI building in Amsterdam in 1965 or 1966, a car drove up, stopped and the driver handed me a large signed photo. I did not know him. It was Claude Francois. We had a short conversation. He was very friendly. Later on I learned he wrote several songs (translated into English) sung by Elvis.
As far as music is concerned I was very happy with a series called "The French EP collection" featuring all these French guitar and beat groups from the (early) sixties. Lots of previously unreleased recordings were featured, but almost everything was new to me. ;-)

John

Postby John » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:51 am

Hello Piamaa, welcome to the forum. Thank you for your introduction, it's interesting to know how you came a appreciate Elvis' music and nice to see that young people still discovering him.

Serge Gainsbourg is a very interesting character but mainly known in the UK for his collaboration with Jane Birkin on Je T'aime … Moi Non Plus.

Claude François wrote the original melodies to My Way and My Boy. He was electrocuted when he tried to change a light bulb while taking a shower.

I look forward to more posts from you.

Topic author
piamaa
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby piamaa » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:27 am

Thank you John :)
I always liked few songs from Elvis, but without knowing his work and how he was talented. But finally, it's not surprising that I appreciate much elvis today, I've always loved these musical periods. Elvis is just passed between the cracks until today!

Yes, I knew for Claude François and "my way" and I prefer the french version because he sang after a break with a famous singer in France, France Gall. In the french version, it's about the routine in a couple, and when he sings, you feel that it is with the heart.
Luuk you were so lucky to meet him, my mother is a huge fan (and I like him too to be honest :)).
Graceland - June 2015

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:57 pm

Welcome to the forum Piamaa...look forward to reading your posts..as john said its great to see up and coming young elvis fans sharing there stories.... :D
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

Topic author
piamaa
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby piamaa » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:09 pm

Thank you elvislady :)
Graceland - June 2015

Return to “Who Am I”