2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia - Who Will Win ?

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

2018 FIFA World Cup un Russia - Who Wins?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Germany
10%
Brazil
No votes
Portugal
No votes
Argentina
No votes
Spain
10%
Uruguay
10%
Belgium
20%
France
No votes
England
10%
Other
40%

Total votes: 10

Judith

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia - Who Will Win ?

Postby Judith » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:54 pm

It's not on BBC one or two. So who's broadcasting it? I'd prefer to watch it with the English commentary
Without a song the road would never bend

John

Postby John » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:00 pm

You don't have an "I couldn't care less" option.

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:42 pm

England fans, look on the bright side...
at least Aldi and Lidl will be open as normal on Sunday. ;)

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Gutted...Well done to Croatia, We should have had it won first half, It wasn't to be. I hope croatia go on and win the tornement. :|
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Croatia comes back from 1 goal down and wins the semifinal 2-1 in extra time. Bad luck to the lions.

Maybe Croatia is destined to win the WC , following this and the two previous games they've won in penalties.
Apart from the thrashing of Argentina, when has Croatia actually shone in the World Cup?
Croatia deserves their spot in the final and if they do win against the big favourite French side, they most certainly will deserve it. They are a team filled with great experienced players, especially Modric. I will be cheering on Croats in the final.

John

Postby John » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:23 pm

Against my better judgement and in the interest of patriotism, I started watching this match, the first in decades, because it really does not interest me. By half time I was so bored with it, I switched to the Nadal - Del Porto match at Wimbledon. There was more excitement in a single game lasting a few seconds than there was in 45 minutes of blokes running around after a bag of air. The tennis match lasted 4 hours 48 minutes. There's nowhere to hide, they don't roll around like babies looking for sympathy, they just get on with it. 4 hours 48 minutes, one against one. How many of those football players would have lasted that long?

Football? It's a joke. Seriously, grown men pushing and shoving each other, rolling around pretending to be hurt, then when they realise no one's paying any attention, they get up and start running around again.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:40 pm

John wrote:Against my better judgement and in the interest of patriotism, I started watching this match, the first in decades, because it really does not interest me. By half time I was so bored with it, I switched to the Nadal - Del Porto match at Wimbledon. There was more excitement in a single game lasting a few seconds than there was in 45 minutes of blokes running around after a bag of air. The tennis match lasted 4 hours 48 minutes. There's nowhere to hide, they don't roll around like babies looking for sympathy, they just get on with it. 4 hours 48 minutes, one against one. How many of those football players would have lasted that long?

Football? It's a joke. Seriously, grown men pushing and shoving each other, rolling around pretending to be hurt, then when they realise no one's paying any attention, they get up and start running around again.

4 HOURS and 48 mins. That's too long for grass court tennis.

I did not see the game but i can guess that it was baseline slugfest. I was hoping Juan Martin would prevail but it wasn't to be. It would be nice if the All England Lawn Tennis and Crochet Club speeded up the courts next year and therefore bring back serve volley tennis.

John

Postby John » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:00 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:
John wrote:Against my better judgement and in the interest of patriotism, I started watching this match, the first in decades, because it really does not interest me. By half time I was so bored with it, I switched to the Nadal - Del Porto match at Wimbledon. There was more excitement in a single game lasting a few seconds than there was in 45 minutes of blokes running around after a bag of air. The tennis match lasted 4 hours 48 minutes. There's nowhere to hide, they don't roll around like babies looking for sympathy, they just get on with it. 4 hours 48 minutes, one against one. How many of those football players would have lasted that long?

4 HOURS and 48 mins. That's too long for grass court tennis.

I did not see the game but i can guess that it was baseline slugfest. I was hoping Juan Martin would prevail but it wasn't to be. It would be nice if the All England Lawn Tennis and Crochet Club speeded up the courts next year and therefore bring back serve volley tennis.

It wasn't a baseline slugfest. Obviously I did not see the whole match as I'd been watching the football, but of what I saw, there were some great rallies. Poor old Juan Martin looked like he was about to drop a couple times, not surprisingly.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:25 am

Btw you hit the nail on the head regarding footballs divers and fakers. One player in Brazil especially has that reputation.

Why can't FIFA start a new rule that enables the referee to give a red card for any player found faking a fall or injury during a game. The people pay to see football in it's highest level, not actor wannabe's.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:31 am

So glad Croatia is in the final. I hope they kick France out too.

Should they lose, it would still be a success for them. They have bettered their previous (1998) mark, where they ended third place.

Go Croatia !

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Croatian gal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Norman
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Norman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:33 pm

It is a bizarre game.

What amazes me is that though it’s clear who the ball last struck before it went out of play, both sides will claim the throw-in for themselves. And this is in front of spectators just yards away, and even a tv camera or two. And when a goal is scored against a team, immediately their hands go up for off-side, or anything else, as long as covers up for them.

Bill Shankly once said that football was not a matter of life and death; it was more than important than that. That piece of nonsense was probably spoken with his tongue firmly in mouth, but it indicates how passionate people get over sports. As for Pele’s banal’s description that it’s “the beautiful game,” well you can say that about any sport. Nothing special about football that makes it any more beautiful than other sport. In fact, beautiful is not the word that comes to mind about what happens in most games.

But I still watch it. I think that today’s weeping over losses (X-Factor, The Voice, Britain’s Got Talent, and football results) shows we have definitely lost our good sense.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:59 pm

Norman wrote:As for Pele’s banal’s description that it’s “the beautiful game,” well you can say that about any sport. Nothing special about football that makes it any more beautiful than other sport. In fact, beautiful is not the word that comes to mind about what happens in most games.

I like football, and one of the things that makes it interesting for me is the fact that the players, save for the goalkeeper, cannot use their hands or arms. I think this fact entails special skills, unlike most of the other ball sports, where they can use their hands.

Think about it - our hands, with the separate thumb, are one of the unique things that human beings have, the result of years and years of evolution, and here's a game where you can't use them. I think that's pretty cool.

I really dislike the hiperactivity of sports like basketball, where something is happening all the time. It's too over the top for me, not to mention the continuous, aribitrary, stops. Too theatrical, too.

Matt Helm

Postby Matt Helm » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:00 pm

WONDERFUL...well i'm really sad for the english team...but can you imagine if Croatia wins the WM?! In my hometown there is a district who is full of croation populations, well i think it's ok i have no problem ... but i'm glad i did not live in this district for the next few days/weeks, lol. Well, after all i voted for Croatia, all the the best for France and Croatia, btw it was a wonderful peaceful WM, don't you think so?! :D Love & Peace Matt

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:17 pm

I agree with the above comments on football. I have grown up with it in my life from being a young girl. I loved going to Old Tafford in 70s when football was football...No sponsors or names on the kits ect, these days its about money, I am still passionate when my team play. Its in my blood.
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

Return to “Off Topic”