Last film or tv series you watched was... ?

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Last film or tv series you watched was... ?

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sat May 19, 2018 3:44 am

For me it was THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALLANCE, via a dvd recording i made some years ago off subscription TV.
Am right now currently watching and recording THE SHOOTIST - another John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart movie - and the plan is to combine the two westerns on DVD-R mpeg 2 format hopefully without loss of quality , am recording these on my Panny hard drive.
Another option would be to add two other John Wayne films to make up four but then you downgrade their qualities when burning on a DVD-R as you have to dub the four films on EP mode.

Hows about You ?

John

Re: Last film or tv series you watched was... ?

Postby John » Sat May 19, 2018 8:35 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:For me it was THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALLANCE, via a dvd recording i made some years ago off subscription TV.
Am right now currently watching and recording THE SHOOTIST - another John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart movie - and the plan is to combine the two westerns on DVD-R mpeg 2 format hopefully without loss of quality , am recording these on my Panny hard drive.
Another option would be to add two other John Wayne films to make up four but then you downgrade their qualities when burning on a DVD-R as you have to dub the four films on EP mode.

Hows about You ?

Oh man, I saw The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance as a kid, and really loved it. I don't think I've seen it since, but I'd like to. I didn't even remember who was in it. I never knew who sang the song till years later. It was of course Gene Pitney - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDN4L7cAQf0

Here's a great little clip with the fantastic Lee Marvin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejzuQ9kVbs

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat May 19, 2018 9:15 am

Recently, as I really don't watch TV (I watch movies and series through watch series tv, which is free on the internet).

"Suits" - which has nothing to do with Meghan Markle's upcoming nuptials to Harry. Meghan starred in Suits well before she met Harry, I've been watching the series for some years.

"Lucifer" - The series was recommended, it is lightweight and funny, and I like the flirting, makes me laugh.

I've begun watching "The Rockford Files", as I adore James Garner's gentlemanly, calm, peaceful, funny, manly ways and I used to watch The Rockford Files when on TV when I was little, I loved him from when I was a little girl.

I watched "Murphy's Romance" starring Jim Garner and Sally Field a while back, such a beautiful, heartfelt, down to earth, caring, friendly, warm, funny movie, with a loving ending - my favourite! :D ......... including Sally's horses in the movie, as I can also relate to her character, on some levels, with regard to starting from scratch with a property that had nothing, along with having to prepare the property for horses, along with the hard work, and then to be self reliant, along with having a young son at the time (same as Sally).

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat May 19, 2018 9:41 am

I'm currently enjoying the Netflix re-runs of two old TV series:

Jonathan Creek - with Alan Davies & Caroline Quentin

New Tricks - with Amanda Redman, Alun Armstrong, Dennis Waterman & James Bolam.

That first one is so old it's in 4:3 !

The second one isn't being shown in chronological order, so sometimes it has the newer lineup with Nicholas Lyndhurst & Denis Lawson, but I prefer the original cast.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sat May 19, 2018 9:59 am

John wrote:
WalterHaleJnr wrote:For me it was THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALLANCE, via a dvd recording i made some years ago off subscription TV.

Hows about You ?

Oh man, I saw The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance as a kid, and really loved it. I don't think I've seen it since, but I'd like to. I didn't even remember who was in it. I never knew who sang the song till years later. It was of course Gene Pitney - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDN4L7cAQf0

Here's a great little clip with the fantastic Lee Marvin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejzuQ9kVbs

Good on you John. Yeah super cast with Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Lee Marvin, Vera Miles as to was "The Shootist" had you seen The Shootist ?

I been looking up online why the song was excluded from the film and found this from songfacts:

This song was written by the prolific songwriting team of Burt Bacharach and Hal David. When they wrote this, they were not full-time partners yet but were considering doing so.
Many people think that this is the theme song for the 1962 movie of the same name. Although it was written for the movie and everybody loved it, John Ford (the movie's director) hated it and kept it off the soundtrack. Gene Pitney himself later said: "The song 'Liberty Valance' was written for the movie but for some strange reason never was put in the soundtrack. Because of the prior success with 'Town Without Pity,' I was paid a bundle to record the song, and Burt Bacharach produced it. He wrote the song with Hal David. There was some screw-up between the publishing company, Famous Music, and the parent company, Paramount Pictures. As to why it never was in the actual film, the most bizarre part of the story I found out a few years ago. The actual music used in the film was from a 1938 Henry Fonda film called Young Mr. Lincoln. Go figure that out!" >>

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat May 19, 2018 10:06 am

I'm watching the preamble to "The Wedding" (Harry and Meghan) at the moment - ha!

LOL

;)

Edit: I'm bored already with three hours to go, lol.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sat May 19, 2018 10:26 am

yeah the networks here are really going overboard with it, lol.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat May 19, 2018 10:37 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:yeah the networks here are really going overboard with it, lol.

I'm watching Channel 9, the Clooney's just arrived, lol.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sat May 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Not really much of a fan of current today's TV, but I do like watching the old comedy classics of the 70s/80s on UK Gold.

As for the last film i watched was Legend . Tom Hardy playing both the infamous gangsters of the 50s and 60s Ronnie and Reggie Kray. I thought Tom did a brilliant job playing both brothers, very well done and a good movie.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

shanebrown

Postby shanebrown » Sat May 19, 2018 9:30 pm

I've been ill most of the week so catching up on some TV I've had backed up on the recorder. Earlier in the week I caught up with season 4 of How to Get Away with Murder (which started off appallingly, but thankfully got much better). This weekend, I've started watching season 2 of 13 Reasons Why on Netflix, which I wrote something about earlier today:

https://silentmovieblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/19/a-bunch-of-self-obsessed-teens-adult-responses-to-13-reasons-why/

A couple of days ago, I rewatched the comedy 40 Days and 40 Nights, which happened to be on TV. Josh Hartnett stars as a young man who decides to go celibate for lent in order to try to forget his ex-girlfriend - no sex, kissing, hands-on etc. It's a piece of fluff, but has stood up surprisingly well and is good fun, although it's safe to say that some sequences wouldn't be filmed in the same way today as attitudes have changed quite a bit in the last few years regarding how women are portrayed on screen.

John

Postby John » Sat May 19, 2018 9:34 pm

Colin B wrote:I'm currently enjoying the Netflix re-runs of two old TV series:

The second one isn't being shown in chronological order, so sometimes it has the newer lineup with Nicholas Lyndhurst & Denis Lawson, but I prefer the original cast.

Both brilliant series. I also prefer the original cast of New Tricks, but it was all good. Jonathan Creek was very clever.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat May 19, 2018 9:54 pm

John wrote:Both brilliant series. I also prefer the original cast of New Tricks, but it was all good. Jonathan Creek was very clever.

Actually, I got that wrong - they aren't on Netflix, I'm recording them from some other channel !

Most enjoyable.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sat May 19, 2018 10:47 pm

John wrote:

Both brilliant series. I also prefer the original cast of New Tricks, but it was all good. Jonathan Creek was very clever.

"New Tricks" gets a good run here on both sub tv (foxtell UK only channel) and 9Gem, a Nine offshoot, however they're from older series (as Waterman was still there), not recent.

John

Postby John » Sat May 19, 2018 10:52 pm

Colin B wrote:

John wrote:Both brilliant series. I also prefer the original cast of New Tricks, but it was all good. Jonathan Creek was very clever.

Actually, I got that wrong - they aren't on Netflix, I'm recording them from some other channel !

Most enjoyable.

Gold, maybe? I don't know, I don't watch the re-runs.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat May 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Colin B wrote:Actually, I got that wrong - they aren't on Netflix, I'm recording them from some other channel !
Most enjoyable.
John wrote:Gold, maybe? I don't know, I don't watch the re-runs.

In the end, I had to look them up.

I'm recording New Tricks from the Drama channel.

Jonathan Creek is on Netflix.

[Pity you didn't look things up in the first place - The Management]
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Return to “Off Topic”