Career move

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
Ben

Career move

Postby Ben » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:02 pm

I'm thinking of becoming a 'professional' genealogist. I've spent a decade researching my family tree and I'm wanting to turn it into something more now. I'm just not sure what the right way to go about it that won't take another decade to 'get my name on the map'.

I've read from a few people who've done it as jobs, some for over twenty years. Does anyone know of anybody who's done it for a job, or employed one before? Or does anybody want to be my first client?

elvislady

Re: Career move

Postby elvislady » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:10 pm

Good luck ben, I looked into my family tree a few years ago, I found it very interesting. I love anything like this, I only got as far back to my great grandad i let another member do the rest of the work as it is time consuming but great when you find what you are looking for.
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

John

Postby John » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 pm

Ben wrote:I'm thinking of becoming a 'professional' genealogist. I've spent a decade researching my family tree and I'm wanting to turn it into something more now. I'm just not sure what the right way to go about it that won't take another decade to 'get my name on the map'.

I've read from a few people who've done it as jobs, some for over twenty years. Does anyone know of anybody who's done it for a job, or employed one before? Or does anybody want to be my first client?

You’d have fun with my family. Spread over 5 continents, records lost in the war, names changed at Ellis Island, people killed in the war.... my Grandfather disappeared in 1940. After all these years of searching by many members of my family, I found out two months ago that he was murdered by the Germans in the Ukraine in 1942.

About 3-4 years ago I came across a photo of my mother’s grandparents taken in 1900 that even she didn’t know existed.

And I’ve just discovered my grandmother’s brothers family in Russia. I haven’t yet found how to make contact.

I’ve found and met many people from my dad’s side, one of whom lives a couple of miles from me. Both of us were born in Africa and neither knew the other was here, so close to each other for over 50 years. I’ve discovered my paternal grandmother’s grave at the local cemetery. It’s weird because last I knew, she lived in East Africa back in the 60s.

25 years ago I discovered I had 2 half sisters living in Portland. I met them 6 years ago for the first time.

I’ve got loads of stories of family I’ve found over the last few years, and there’s still a long way to go.

If you’d been doing this research, it would have cost me thousands and taken you a lot longer to do.

A friend of mine has spent years tracing his family, and they were all in England.

Good luck if you go for it, but I reckon you’ll face a lot of challenges, not least of all people won’t be able to afford it.

Topic author
Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:59 pm

I'd have loved to have done your family tree John. It's not your usual family lines.

I know it's time consuming but I find it great when I get that breakthrough with finding stuff.

My tree doesn't leave Yorkshire on three sides but on the other has only been in Yorkshire since 1900 and they were from Suffolk via Germany.

Another tale is that my grandma's side have only had their surname for 150 years. They changed their name, in spits and spats, which has taken years to try and get answers to.

Norman
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Norman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Ben

I've heard of people who won't do a genetics-based tests in case they find their ancestors are not Anglo-Saxon as they had grown up believing they were. Have you considered doing that kind of search in addition to what you're doing? Or is that the same thing, really?

John

Postby John » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Ben wrote:I'd have loved to have done your family tree John. It's not your usual family lines.

I'm sure you would, but I could not have afforded to pay you. It is never ending.

I know it's time consuming but I find it great when I get that breakthrough with finding stuff.

My tree doesn't leave Yorkshire on three sides but on the other has only been in Yorkshire since 1900 and they were from Suffolk via Germany.

Another tale is that my grandma's side have only had their surname for 150 years. They changed their name, in spits and spats, which has taken years to try and get answers to.

It's interesting, frustrating and fun to do it, but so time consuming.

Topic author
Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Norman wrote:Ben

I've heard of people who won't do a genetics-based tests in case they find their ancestors are not Anglo-Saxon as they had grown up believing they were. Have you considered doing that kind of search in addition to what you're doing? Or is that the same thing, really?

I have only really started to look at these in the past week and it seems like a lot of hassle from what I've read from people who've done it.

You mean the DNA test don't you?

I also know (if you look at me and most of my family) that my DNA tests would- for the most part, especially the last hundred years in my line - that I will just get the same line in my genes from it.

Norman
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Norman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of - I saw it on TV -the DNA heritage one that traces a person's regional ethnicities from their DNA. It made sense to some people and I think it confirmed what many suspected all along about people having diverse origins that had been hidden from them over time.

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:00 am

All the best and good luck with your endeavours, Ben.

John

Postby John » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:13 am

Hey Ben, start with the peeps here on Phoenix. You could find we're all related to Javi.

Topic author
Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:46 am

John wrote:Hey Ben, start with the peeps here on Phoenix. You could find we're all related to Javi.

That'd sure be a career finisher for me.

In my tree, we've discovered that my parents share the same 4x grandfather. A relative ran off with her uncle, then married her uncle, a few murderers, some petty criminals and, out of everyone I've looked at, one and only one who had a good write up in the newspaper.

John

Postby John » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:03 am

Ben wrote:
John wrote:Hey Ben, start with the peeps here on Phoenix. You could find we're all related to Javi.

That'd sure be a career finisher for me.

In my tree, we've discovered that my parents share the same 4x grandfather. A relative ran off with her uncle, then married her uncle, a few murderers, some petty criminals and, out of everyone I've looked at, one and only one who had a good write up in the newspaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNUHRZpWaVU

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:19 am

Ben wrote:I'm thinking of becoming a 'professional' genealogist. I've spent a decade researching my family tree and I'm wanting to turn it into something more now. I'm just not sure what the right way to go about it that won't take another decade to 'get my name on the map'.

Hi Ben,

Do you research through the Ancestory.com website or do your own research?

Good luck with it all.

Topic author
Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:20 am

That song is what I was singing when I found this stuff out.

I use Ancestry, a couple of other websites and visit places in they're within distance. I'm hoping to go to Magdeburg in the next year or so to try get more info on my ancestors.

Return to “Off Topic”