R.I.P. Shane MacGowan

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
John

R.I.P. Shane MacGowan

Postby John » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:14 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67546785

He's been ill for a while, and I think a lot of people are surprised he's been around this long. Could this great track be a contender for this year's no 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8

Colin B

Re: R.I.P. Shane MacGowan

Postby Colin B » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:22 pm

Both lead vocalists on this regular Xmas charter are now deceased.

Very sad.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:11 pm

John wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67546785

He's been ill for a while, and I think a lot of people are surprised he's been around this long. Could this great track be a contender for this year's no 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8

Very sad...one of my favourite songs around Xmas.
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:45 pm

Many years ago I knew a guy who was a big fan of The Pogues. I didn't like their music at all, and I found somewhat boring and vulgar the fact that he was always speaking about their purported alcoholism, rather than about their music. Same happened elsewhere years later with that Winehouse gal.

A bunch of hype, if you ask me.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:02 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Many years ago I knew a guy who was a big fan of The Pogues. I didn't like their music at all, and I found somewhat boring and vulgar the fact that he was always speaking about their purported alcoholism, rather than about their music. Same happened elsewhere years later with that Winehouse gal.

Amy Winehouse was a very good singer. Unfortunately she hang around with the wrong crowd and got hooked on drugs and alcohol.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:17 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Many years ago I knew a guy who was a big fan of The Pogues. I didn't like their music at all, and I found somewhat boring and vulgar the fact that he was always speaking about their purported alcoholism, rather than about their music. Same happened elsewhere years later with that Winehouse gal.

In what way was it hype?

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:57 am

John wrote:

In what way was it hype?

From the outside, it looked like the main thing was not the music they made, but secondary stuff. The Sex Pistols would be another example.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:14 am

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

In what way was it hype?

From the outside, it looked like the main thing was not the music they made, but secondary stuff. The Sex Pistols would be another example.

The same happened to Elvis. It was always about his wild moves on stage and his bad influence on the youth with his devil's music.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:54 am

Mister Moon wrote:Many years ago I knew a guy who was a big fan of The Pogues.
I didn't like their music at all, and I found somewhat boring and vulgar the fact that he was always speaking about their purported alcoholism,
rather than about their music.
Same happened elsewhere years later with that Winehouse gal.

John wrote:In what way was it hype?
Mister Moon wrote:From the outside, it looked like the main thing was not the music they made, but secondary stuff.
The Sex Pistols would be another example.
Yin Yang wrote:The same happened to Elvis. It was always about his wild moves on stage and his bad influence on the youth with his devil's music.

His stage movements did draw a lot of attention, but as far as the music goes, he did have a fantastic run with those great early RCA singles...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:42 am

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

In what way was it hype?

I didn't know anything about Shane, but obviously now with the advent of his death, there is so much in the media about him, and I have to say, I've learned a lot about the poet, the genius, the man. Obviously he had his demons, and sadly he became addicted to booze and drugs. It was an illness he could not overcome. His alcoholism was not purported, it was all too real.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:50 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

In what way was it hype?

I didn't know anything about Shane, but obviously now with the advent of his death, there is so much in the media about him, and I have to say, I've learned a lot about the poet, the genius, the man. Obviously he had his demons, and sadly he became addicted to booze and drugs. It was an illness he could not overcome. His alcoholism was not purported, it was all too real.

Yes, and right from the start it was the main selling point of this band. I remember that clearly.

In the old days, it was not in the public domain when a star had x addictions. It was kept away from the crowd.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:06 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

In what way was it hype?

Yes, and right from the start it was the main selling point of this band. I remember that clearly.

In the old days, it was not in the public domain when a star had x addictions. It was kept away from the crowd.

I think it would have been difficult to hide his problems from the crowd, but was it the selling point?

He seems to have been true to his art, and his talent. Sadly he, and that "Winehouse gal" were ill, as is anyone addicted to drink or drugs. Addiction is a disease, of that there is no doubt.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:25 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

In what way was it hype?

I think it would have been difficult to hide his problems from the crowd, but was it the selling point?

He seems to have been true to his art, and his talent. Sadly he, and that "Winehouse gal" were ill, as is anyone addicted to drink or drugs. Addiction is a disease, of that there is no doubt.

It's a disease, right. The fact that x artist is addicted to this or that is not my business. It can help me understand their art, if we are talking about a favourite artist, but it's secondary to me. Nowadays, it seems to be the main thing, and the art is considered later, if at all. I think this is sad.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:52 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

In what way was it hype?

It's a disease, right. The fact that x artist is addicted to this or that is not my business. It can help me understand their art, if we are talking about a favourite artist, but it's secondary to me. Nowadays, it seems to be the main thing, and the art is considered later, if at all. I think this is sad.

I'm not aware of it being the main thing. Mind you, maybe it's because I don't keep up with modern singers too much.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:08 pm

Addiction can be described as a 'disease' - but its a mental health condition that is the root cause.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Return to “Off Topic”