09. Follow That Dream

Posters, Lobby Cards, Trailers, Scripts and more

Suspicious Minds

Re: 09. Follow That Dream

Postby Suspicious Minds » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Colin B wrote:Follow that Dream - Lobby Card.jpgPDVD_147.JPG

It always strikes me as odd that when they make the lobby cards for a colour film, they use a black & white photo & colourise it !

And not always with the right colours, either !

Often, they aren't even stills from the actual film !

See above how the colours are different on the lobby card & George [played by Howard McNear] seems to have lost his jacket !

One of the bank guards [played by Red West] has his shirt unbuttoned & not tucked in !

It's my guess the lobby card is from a rehearsal !

Odd !

I did a little search, but unfortunately I haven't found much info that deals with the production process of lobby cards in detail.

On this site they talk about b/w, hand-tinted and full-color lobby cards:

"Lobby Cards made their first appearance in the early 1910s around the same time that Charlie Chaplin was breaking into motion pictures. The earliest Silent-era lobby cards were often nothing more than black and white or duotone stills. These were eventually replaced by hand-tinted scenes, and by the 1920s most studios were producing full-color lobby cards."
https://www.filmposters.com/lobby-cards.cfm

The e-bay guide to lobby cards mentions b/w and colorised lobby cards:

"Lobby cards were originally a black and white print of one specific shot from a film, with the title somewhere to be found on the card, much like movie poster. Lobby cards were printed on a thicker card stock than posters, as they needed to be more durable. While a poster would be enclosed in a display case, a lobby card would often be moved around a theater lobby on an easel, or handed out to visiting moviegoers. Later lobby cards were colorized (...) different versions of lobby cards were made to encourage the collecting of a whole set of cards associated with one film. Generally, studios would release a set of four, eight, or 16 lobby cards, each providing a different shot from the film or the actors, and with different information on it."
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Lobby-Cards-Buy ... 446/g.html

In case of Elvis movies, I've seen b/w lobby cards, colorised lobby cards (like Love Me Tender, King Creole, and many other movies), and full-color lobby cards or at least lobby cards labeled as full-color lobby cards - though the color of those full-color lobby cards don't always look 'natural' to me.

Several sites mention that lobby cards were 'made' of a film shot or a still, but as you have spotted, that doesn't seem to have always been the case with Elvis lobby cards. But so far, I haven't found any info that gives us details on the production process of Elvis lobby cards, viz. whether they were ocasionally taken from rehearsal scenes and/or whether that was intended or not.
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

Suspicious Minds

Postby Suspicious Minds » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:02 pm

PS: Maybe Shane would know. He studied arts, music & film, if I'm not mistaken. I'll send him a pm later tonight.

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Suspicious Minds wrote:...The e-bay guide to lobby cards mentions b/w and colorised lobby cards:

Several sites mention that lobby cards were 'made' of a film shot or a still, but as you have spotted, that doesn't seem to have always been the case with Elvis lobby cards. But so far, I haven't found any info that gives us details on the production process of Elvis lobby cards, viz. whether they were ocasionally taken from rehearsal scenes and/or whether that was intended or not.

While we're on lobby cards, I remember the mostly-forgotten 1956 version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame starring Anthony Quinn & the delectable Gina Lollobrigida respectively as Quasimodo & Esmeralda.

I saw it at the cinema at the time & at one point they showed close-ups of her face contorting as she gets tortured, but no indication of
what they are actually doing to her !

It wasn't until I was leaving the cinema that I noticed the lobby cards, displayed in the foyer, one of which clearly showed that they had her leg clamped in a vice-like implement !

It showed more clearly than in this one, but it's the nearest to it I could find:

Hunchback of Notre Dame - Gina Lollobrigida [Resized].jpg

Whether that bit never got in the final cut or was removed by the UK censors, I never knew !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

shanebrown

Postby shanebrown » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:11 am

Colin B wrote:Follow that Dream - Lobby Card.jpgPDVD_147.JPG

It always strikes me as odd that when they make the lobby cards for a colour film, they use a black & white photo & colourise it !

And not always with the right colours, either !

Often, they aren't even stills from the actual film !

See above how the colours are different on the lobby card & George [played by Howard McNear] seems to have lost his jacket !

One of the bank guards [played by Red West] has his shirt unbuttoned & not tucked in !

It's my guess the lobby card is from a rehearsal !

Odd !

PM received!

It's not odd or unusual. In fact, it was common practice for lobby cards to not only come from outtakes, cut scenes or rehearsals, but also to be completely staged just for the lobby cards (or publicity pictures) themselves. I'm not sure when this practice stopped - it was very, very common in early cinema. I also know of a number of examples through the 1950s, and so the 1960s does not seem beyond the realms of possibility.

I found an odd one case where a girl had written to a newspaper in 1944 about the film The Town Went Wild, complaining that the two young men in the film didn't get half dressed like they were in the lobby card!

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 am

shanebrown wrote:...PM received!...

???
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Suspicious Minds

Postby Suspicious Minds » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:48 am

Colin B wrote:
shanebrown wrote:...PM received!...

???

:lol:

No worries, Colin. I sent a PM to Shane asking if he could help us out.

Thank you very much, Shane, for your swift and informative reply! Much appreciated!

Suspicious Minds

Postby Suspicious Minds » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Letter of gratitude from Florida Sheriffs Boys Ranch to Elvis Presley, September 30, 1964

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Suspicious Minds

Postby Suspicious Minds » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:45 pm

Japanese poster

From the Eddie Hammer Elvis Presley Collection, an Elvis Presley "Follow That Dream" original Japanese movie poster. Measures 20 x 28.5.

CDF2DA78-C222-4FA2-BF9B-A22552981429.jpeg

https://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/mo ... ryid=26137

Ed A

Postby Ed A » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Suspicious Minds wrote:1961 Elvis Presley Twice-Signed Copy of Pioneer, Go Home! (Book Adapted for Follow that Dream) Signed While Filming in Florida – Also Signed by Nine Other Cast and Crew Members!

image.jpeg
When Elvis and the rest of the Follow That Dream production invaded Inverness, Florida, in July of 1961, a young girl named Maude made it a point to go get herself a paperback copy of the book on which the film was based, Pioneer, Go Home! Sometime during the filming in the old courthouse in Inverness, she saw fit to collect a number of autographs.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The offered book has been signed by Elvis twice, once on the inside front cover and once on the title page, most likely at two different times, as the pen ink appears to be different. Additional signatures include co-stars and crew members Joanna Moore, Anne Helm, Arthur O’Connell, Alan Hewitt, Robin Koon, Gavin Koon, Dolores Rubin (script supervisor, who wrote “Thank you Maude - Love, Dolores Rubin”), Gordon Douglas (director, who wrote “Hi Maude, Lot o’ Luck, Gordon Douglas”) and Ray Sitton (a Memphis Mafia member known as “Chief”).
The Koon brothers’ autographs are especially touching, written in their finest 8-year-old script. Director Gordon Douglas’ career spanned nearly every era and genre of early Hollywood, beginning as a teenage actor in the earliest talkies, then going on to direct “Our Gang” and “The Little Rascals” shorts, films with Laurel and Hardy, the sci-fi classic THEM!, Robin and the 7 Hoods, and In Like Flint. In another great story related to the film’s production, an 11-year old Tom Petty got to meet Elvis because his uncle was part of the staff. Supposedly, he promptly traded his slingshot for a stack of Elvis records!

Source: http://auction.graceland.com/1961_elvis ... ot806.aspx

The signed copy above was the 1960 paperback edition. Here is the 1959 Hardback edition.
Pioneer Go Home - 1959.jpg
and a 1985 paperback edition.
Pioneer Go Home - 1985.jpg

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:04 pm

You may delete it here = double posted

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Deleted due to doubts about the information.

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Deleted due to doubts about the information.

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

John

Postby John » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:26 am

colonel snow wrote:here is the clip

colonel snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWmf4JzQfAc

Thanks colonel snow.

Posted here 21st May 2018
https://www.theelvisforum-phoenix.com/v ... gel#p88586

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:40 am