Raised on Rock - Your Favourite Tracks Are...?

All the Elvis you can take

Raised on Rock - Your Favourite Tracks...?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:36 am

Raised on Rock
13%
Are You Sincere
10%
Find Out What's Happening
7%
I Miss You
6%
Girl of mine
5%
For Ol' Times Sake
16%
If You Don't Come Back
8%
Just a Little Bit
7%
Sweet Angeline
9%
Three Corn Patches
5%
Love the Album
1%
I Don't Like the Album
1%
It's Ok but He's Done Better Albums
8%
Like the Cover
3%
I Don't Like the Cover
2%

Total votes: 216

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Re: Raised on Rock - Your Favourite Tracks Are...?

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:17 am

Rickeap wrote:Unfairly criticised, there's some good stuff here. The uptempo songs are cool, especially If You Don't Come Back. For Ol times sake is lovely

you hit the nail on the head. They (RCA) could have picked out and sequenced the tracks better than what they ultimately did.

What elvisalisellers wrote earlier on this topic such as leaving out "Girl of Mine" and making one side uptempo , the other balladry, wasn't bad.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:47 am

Sorry, this album does nothing for me.

So i voted "don't like the album".
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:10 am

Mojo Filter wrote:Sorry, this album does nothing for me.

why does it do 'nothing' for you and what would you have done or chosen the tracks :?:

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:16 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:Sorry, this album does nothing for me.

why does it do 'nothing' for you and what would you have done or chosen the tracks :?:

It's just the performances, production and the songs themselves are very mediocre in my opinion.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Charlie Rogers
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Charlie Rogers » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:53 am

I think it has some good songs and some clunkers. RCA just threw the songs on and pulled the title out of a hat and released it. Bingo! A few quick bucks, but not too many as the album was a flop.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:12 am

Charlie Rogers wrote:I think it has some good songs and some clunkers. RCA just threw the songs on and pulled the title out of a hat and released it. Bingo! A few quick bucks, but not too many as the album was a flop.

yes, tracks selection could have been picked out better (presumably by Mister Felton Jarvis), including perhaps make it a double album with GOOD TIMES.
But it's very easy to be wise after the event.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:08 am

The Raised On Rock poll favoured For Ol' Times Sake, quite significantly, while Raised on Rock finished second.
After the two, it's interesting to note how the votes for the rest of the material were fairly even.

Thanks everyone for your votes and comments.

Christopher

Postby Christopher » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:27 pm

´bout the artwork:
didn´t like it back then, when i first discovered the album as a teenager in the 80s; don´t like it now.
in my opinion, it´s one of his worst. unfavorable facial expression, a toothless mouth (similar to the "on stage" album), his pose not much better (like he is dying to go to the loo!).

´bout the album:
didn´t like it much at first, since there was zero rock´n´roll on it and almost only ballads. "it´s ok, but he has done better albums", i would have answered then.
the only real higlight was "for ol´ times sake", but what a pearl that was, with e´ sounding so authentic, (world-) weary, tender and melancholic at the same time - worth the price of admission alone. it even sounded better the following decade, when another take was released on "essential elvis vol. 5".

but it grew on me over the years.

still thinking "it´s ok, but he has done better albums", when i discovered the poll, i decided to count my favourites on it.
counted to six out of ten and then realized, it must be better than "ok".

the other favourites:
"are you sincere"; - the sensitivity in his voice always gets me ... unsure, if she feels the same.

"i miss you"; - typical elvis theme about lost and irretrievable love, like so many others; still, very convincing. brings tears to my eyes, when i´m in the right (or wrong) mood.

"girl of mine"; - "that´s how he must have made love" was i always thinking. romantic, playful, tender and kind of innocent. the boy, that never grew up. love to sing along to it.

"sweet angeline"; - much like "i miss you", but not that depressive; with a rather positive tone - "let´s be thankful for the little love we´ve had". i can imagine him playing it at the piano during night hours at "graceland".

"three corn patches"; - not a fan favourite in general, poor voice, i know all that, but it´s driving beat and uptempo mood is good enough for me.
watch me, singing along, when i´m riding my truck out on the country roads, heading home
(even if it´s no truck and no "country road" either, in reality).

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Christopher wrote:´bout the artwork:
didn´t like it back then, when i first discovered the album as a teenager in the 80s; don´t like it now.
in my opinion, it´s one of his worst. unfavorable facial expression, a toothless mouth (similar to the "on stage" album), his pose not much better (like he is dying to go to the loo!).

´bout the album:
didn´t like it much at first, since there was zero rock´n´roll on it and almost only ballads. "it´s ok, but he has done better albums", i would have answered then.
the only real higlight was "for ol´ times sake", but what a pearl that was, with e´ sounding so authentic, (world-) weary, tender and melancholic at the same time - worth the price of admission alone. it even sounded better the following decade, when another take was released on "essential elvis vol. 5".

but it grew on me over the years.

still thinking "it´s ok, but he has done better albums", when i discovered the poll, i decided to count my favourites on it.
counted to six out of ten and then realized, it must be better than "ok".

the other favourites:
"are you sincere"; - the sensitivity in his voice always gets me ... unsure, if she feels the same.

"i miss you"; - typical elvis theme about lost and irretrievable love, like so many others; still, very convincing. brings tears to my eyes, when i´m in the right (or wrong) mood.

"girl of mine"; - "that´s how he must have made love" was i always thinking. romantic, playful, tender and kind of innocent. the boy, that never grew up. love to sing along to it.

"sweet angeline"; - much like "i miss you", but not that depressive; with a rather positive tone - "let´s be thankful for the little love we´ve had". i can imagine him playing it at the piano during night hours at "graceland".

"three corn patches"; - not a fan favourite in general, poor voice, i know all that, but it´s driving beat and uptempo mood is good enough for me.
watch me, singing along, when i´m riding my truck out on the country roads, heading home
(even if it´s no truck and no "country road" either, in reality).

Well said. With a title like Raised on Rock , you'd think the album would be 100 percent uptempo tunes but no, it was mostly balladry material.

Perhaps a reboot to gather ten uptempo (or close to) tracks from Raised on Rock and Good Times album and make that album as a concise uptempo record.

Return to “Everything Elvis”