6%
Don't like the Album
2%
It's Average
4%

Total votes: 131

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Re: POT LUCK - Your Favourite Tracks Are...

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:
Colin B wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:...This album made him into a bit of a laughing stock, really, as mentioned here that cover photo is just ridiculous, the smile looks forced to me and the hair...lol.
Even the title "Pot Luck" is really silly.

I remember a reviewer at the time saying:

"The title tells it all.
It's like they are admitting that there's nothing outstanding or special there, but if you don't mind taking 'Pot Luck',
you might find something you like !"

It's easy to think that it was the 60's films that were responsible for 'watering down' his music & steering it toward the bland 'easy-listening' style.

But this album, together with Something For Everybody, proves that even his non-film stuff was already moving in that direction.

One critic in America called the albums songs "potboilers" which is about the right description, I suppose.

That said, I wouldn't put "Something For Everybody" in the same category as "Pot Luck". Even the ballad side of "Something For Everybody" is more outstanding than anything on "Pot Luck". Songs like "Gently", "Give Me the Right" and "It's A Sin" are more memorable with a bit more beef to them and more melodic. Of course, it's still a soft album, but at least there's some quite good up tempo songs on there.

I still don't believe Elvis wanted to particularly go down the middle of the road path for a long period of time. Sure, he wanted to experiment his amazing singing ability by doing things like "It's Now Or Never" but I don't believe, like some fans seem to think, particularly the jumpsuit junkies, that he abandoned Rock'n'Roll because he didn't like it anymore and all that bullshit he "grew as an artist" when he started doing all this MOR stuff in the 60s/70s. I think he loved Rock'n'Roll, blues etc right to the end but for some reason he just lost the passion for doing it. And I blame the movies and Las Vegas sucking all the creativeness out of him, not to mention those greedy buggers at Hill and Range only giving him the songs they had the publishing on.

Agreed re." Something for Everybody" album. "Pot Luck" to me was far from a legitimate album along with an title about as bad as "Takin' Tahoe Tonight" (admitedly an FTD post 1977), just lacked any inspiration.
I'm wondering whoever came up with the title, cover design (ie the" Follow That Dream" shot) and an hastily put together track-listing.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:21 pm

BTW I voted "Suspicion", "Gonna Get Back Home Somehow" "Something Blue" and "That's Someone You'll Never Forget" as my fave tracks and "It's Average Album".

OnStage55

Postby OnStage55 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:31 pm

I've actually been listening to this Album a lot since last week, you know how it is when you can't get enough of a particular Record.
Well POT LUCK has been a favorite Record of mine since I first bought it years ago and still it is a big fave, I love the whole Album. 8-)

Top 6 picks.

Gonna Get Back Home Somehow
(Such An) Easy Question
Something Blue
Suspicion
Night Rider
That's Someone You Never Forget

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:56 pm

my least favourite to favorite tracks order-

Fountain of Love
I Feel That I've Known You Forever (just too short)
I'm Yours
Just For Old Times Sake
Steppin Out Of Line ( again too short)
Kiss Me Quick
(Such an) Easy Question
Night Rider
Something Blue
Gonna Get Back Home Somehow
That's Someone You'll Never Forget
Suspicion

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:45 pm

It's a great album.

My two favourite tracks, without a doubt, are "(Such An) Easy Question", written by Otis Blackwell and Winfield Scott (same as the great "Return To Sender", which he would record less than ten days later, in March 1962), and Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman's "Suspicion", which should have been a natural single release, maybe instead of "She's Not You".

I also have a soft spot for "I'm Yours", "Something Blue" and, even though I don't dig Elvis' penchant for Latin-flavoured stuff, "Fountain Of Love".

Nightrider

Postby Nightrider » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:01 pm

I fear to go against current trend here. But I assume my choice when saying Pot Luck is an album I like very much, as for Elvis is back, Something for everybody and His hand in mine. And this even if there are weaker songs like Just for old time sake, I feel that I've known you forever, Fountain of love, I'm yours. The most outstanding track is of course Suspicion (incomparably better than Terry Stafford's cover). Elvis' vocal is a masterpiece that didn't even need more than 3 takes to come to perfection. And then there are these other Pomus-Shuman songs I rate very high : Gonna get back home somehow and Nightrider with their great rockin' groove. Although sounding strangely not as good as the rest of the album (and we all know the reason why), I really enjoy the threatening vocal of Steppin' out of line and its classic blues ending. On the ballad side stands also that truly outstanding performance of That's someone you'll never forget. Boy, could he sing ! The Nashville sound was really "in" back then, I cannot get enough ! It is regrettable that these remarkable ace musicians failed here with the arrangement of Don Robertson's song I'm yours. The choice of the organ is an evident mistake and the melody at the beginning as well as the harmonizing voice of Elvis reminds me too much of the His hand in mine song. Interesting to point out the same similarity regarding the chords and melody between Just for old time sake and Old shep.

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:01 pm

The organ on "I'm Yours" presented it as a wedding song - at least that was the intention, I believe.

I am very fond of each of Elvis Is Back, SFE, Pot Luck and The Lost Album though there was a progressive decline year by year, possibly as there was no theme to any of them. After EIB, they were just fulfilling a quota, polished as they each were. EIB didn't need a theme, of course, and I confess that SFE is a big, big favourite of mine - one very classy album.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:17 pm

STEVE MORSE wrote:The organ on "I'm Yours" presented it as a wedding song - at least that was the intention, I believe.

I am very fond of each of Elvis Is Back, SFE, Pot Luck and The Lost Album though there was a progressive decline year by year, possibly as there was no theme to any of them. After EIB, they were just fulfilling a quota, polished as they each were. EIB didn't need a theme, of course, and I confess that SFE is a big, big favourite of mine - one very classy album.

Guess which album will be the subject on next week's poll ?

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 pm

Wow, i started up this poll yesterday and already it's achieved almost 100 votes. Awesome, and thank you again for votes and comments. :D

Nightrider

Postby Nightrider » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:17 am

STEVE MORSE wrote:
The organ on "I'm Yours" presented it as a wedding song - at least that was the intention, I believe.

You're right Steve. We now know (Ernst Jorgensen, A life in music) that this song was originally planned for the wedding scene at the end of Blue Hawaii. Btw, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one on earth (lol) to treasure these early 60's albums (and yes, the Lost album belongs to the Magnificent Seven - ah, to reach 7, I overestimate, just a little bit, the GI Blues and Blue Hawaii ones...-).

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Colin B wrote:
TonyS wrote:So which is it?
As Elvis was North American and there's a cooking pot actually on the cover.....
:lol:

That representation on the sleeve was simply a clumsy & literal nod to the word 'pot' in the album title...

what would you have given the album title ?

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Just for old time sake

It's nice to know the song was originally selected for the movie Wild in the country; replaced by In my way in the movie and finally recorded in the studio (18 march 1962).

The master is again selected for a movie: Change of habit - track M 9 but not used.

colonel snow

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:10 pm

TonyS wrote:So which is it?
As Elvis was North American and there's a cooking pot actually on the cover.....
:lol:
Colin B wrote:That representation on the sleeve was simply a clumsy & literal nod to the word 'pot' in the album title...
WalterHaleJnr wrote:what would you have given the album title ?

"The Elvis Presley Contractual Obligation Album"
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 pm

Somebody once said that Elvis' movies could have been named "Elvis - number 1", "Elvis - number 2", etc., and people would still have gone to see them.

Same happens with most of his albums. One wishes they would have been numbered and not have carried those titles. Really, they didn't mean a thing, except for "Elvis Is Back !" and a few others. And those 60s non-movie, non-gospel LPs are sad reminders that Elvis was now being sold, more than ever, as a product, rather than as an artist.

I still like those albums, though.

Jak

Postby Jak » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:59 am

I've got fond memories as a kid listening to this lp. I grew up in the 70's and it was a thrill when my folks would take me to the record store and let me get a new record. As a kid I was making my choices solely on the record cover. I was to young to know the material.

Return to “Everything Elvis”