Felton Jarvis on Elvis (1977)

All the Elvis you can take

Colin B

Re: Felton Jarvis on Elvis (1977)

Postby Colin B » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:58 am

John wrote:Is bad good here or is bad, bad?

Well, we can't ask Felton, that's for sure !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Rickeap

Postby Rickeap » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:47 am

Thanks Juan. I think Felton sometimes gets a bad rap that he oesn't deserve. He was there for the revival in the late 60s and then worked through elvis' most difficult time but still managed to make a lot of latter-day classics that still sound good today

Jak

Postby Jak » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Colin B wrote:Yes, it would seem Priscilla did get things right about her ex-husband liking a big orchestra backing him.

In December, 1980, Felton Jarvis had this to say about the new backing for the
Loving Arms track on the Guitar Man album:

“It’s a lot less busy....there’s a lot less music going on.
Elvis, he thought there was strength in numbers or something.
He’d want voices and strings and so on - but sometimes you can go too far with that.
Simplicity is really nice sometimes.
So this one is really laid back – his performance is just so good.
I think the music and the feel of the track is so good.
That’s Larry Byrom playing some bad guitar.”

More interesting comments by Felton. I was kinda joking but he does give credence to Priscilla's comments about how Elvis woukd have loved the RPO project. She was widely mocked when she stated Elvis wanted to perform with an entire orchestra behind him. This has been an interesting topic. Felton's comments are great to hear. Nice topic.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Postby Juan Luis » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:55 pm

Jak wrote:
Colin B wrote:Yes, it would seem Priscilla did get things right about her ex-husband liking a big orchestra backing him.

In December, 1980, Felton Jarvis had this to say about the new backing for the
Loving Arms track on the Guitar Man album:

“It’s a lot less busy....there’s a lot less music going on.
Elvis, he thought there was strength in numbers or something.
He’d want voices and strings and so on - but sometimes you can go too far with that.
Simplicity is really nice sometimes.
So this one is really laid back – his performance is just so good.
I think the music and the feel of the track is so good.
That’s Larry Byrom playing some bad guitar.”

More interesting comments by Felton. I was kinda joking but he does give credence to Priscilla's comments about how Elvis woukd have loved the RPO project. She was widely mocked when she stated Elvis wanted to perform with an entire orchestra behind him. This has been an interesting topic. Felton's comments are great to hear. Nice topic.
Yes. I will eventually post here the full unedited (unreleased from acetate I obtained) informal interview with RCA's Jerry Flowers. It is laid back and honest, (Felton had a stroke before the formal interview in the RCA studio was ever done, which would have been surely just focused on the "Guitar Man" album project).
Here, we shall hear Felton Jarvis commenting on whatever came to mind with Jerry flowers, for roughly one hour.

mike edwards

Postby mike edwards » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Juan Luis wrote:I don't want to start a new thread for these few clips a bit off-topic (not completely because of the Elvis factor).

I will let the clips speak for themselves...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koDK2TyWl5w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3GmS13tkOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc0pcyMXHlc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMJnITHsdWQ&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=gnRTImJ87-M

Thanks, Juan. Felton comes across as such a nice guy. Easy to see why he and Elvis got along so well.

Juan Luis wrote:
Jak wrote:Yes. I will eventually post here the full unedited (unreleased from acetate I obtained) informal interview with RCA's Jerry Flowers. It is laid back and honest, (Felton had a stroke before the formal interview in the RCA studio was ever done, which would have been surely just focused on the "Guitar Man" album project).
Here, we shall hear Felton Jarvis commenting on whatever came to mind with Jerry flowers, for roughly one hour.

Keep 'em coming, Juan. That one sounds good.
>>>

a piffling thousand, pay the man, and damn his impudence

Norman

Postby Norman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 pm

If only Felton Jarvis had lived longer – he could have written an especially valuable book about his work with Elvis. No producer worked with Elvis so often and consistently. Jarvis will have had conversations that no one else could have had. It’s clear he didn’t always agree with Elvis' “safety in numbers” approach, but he knew what Elvis would have liked at any given time.

Jarvis (1981): “Elvis could cut a hit record any time he wanted to”. He certainly could – Elvis probably rejected potential hits because he preferred “to get something out of his system”. As Elvis told Jarvis in 1969: “Man, you know when I sing something that makes me feel good or put cold chills on me or makes me feel good inside, money can’t buy that. It really makes me feel good to feel that way. When I sing something that I’m proud of, I walk away and say that’s good. It makes me feel good.”

When a person speaks about themselves – even if they also think about others in their life – they tend to be honest about themselves. Notice how Elvis uses a lot of “me” when implying that personal preferences are paramount and therefore mean more than just hit singles. I admire Elvis’ integrity. Jarvis understood Elvis in the studio.

Thanks Juan Luis - Hopefully one day, someone will collect everything Jarvis said about Elvis and produce a book. Jarvis knew the truth better than anyone when it came to supporting Elvis’ ideas about songs.

concertzwest

Postby concertzwest » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:23 pm

so enjoyed this thank you for posting this .

Return to “Everything Elvis”