All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Re: ELVIS PRESLEY - THE '68 COMEBACK - 50th Anniversary Edition

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:13 pm

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:26 pm

Now, I thought a certain member 'over there' had provided irrefutable proof that the photos of Elvis & Bobby Dick, outside of Steve Binder's office in Hollywood, were fakes !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:17 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:WOW !!! Look at the release date of the RCA soundtrack Elvis T V Special.
https://www.discogs.com/Elvis-Presley-O ... se/2478493

I don't know if this is authentic or not and what country, i guess it would be the USA, but this is pretty damn close to my birthday where i too will turn 5o.

Walter, how easily you forget.
The website elvisrecords.com has most all of the information you need pertaining to the original releases of Elvis records in the USA.
>> https://www.elvisrecords.com/lpm-4088-elvis/

By-the-way, what is the exact date of your birthday? ... If it's November 23rd, then we share the same birthdays just like our mothers do!
I'm happy to be an Elvis fan! 8-)

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:16 am

I ain't telling. But it's close :D On the day I will make it known over here without saying a word. haha.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:16 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-elvis-presleys-legendary-1968-comeback-special-w477303

Post has lost it's value with new information.

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 pm

So contrary to legend, the good ol' Colonel did not demand that the TV special was to be an all xmas product ? But according to the doc THE SEVEN FACES OF ELVIS, Steve did state that the Colonel wanted one Christmas song included and had even threatened to cancel the broadcast, even after the product was completed. Steve then added "Blue Christmas" I guess to keep the Colonel on side.

Norman
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Norman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:21 pm

No, that is still the case – the Colonel wanted a Christmas special, with around 20 themed songs.

Rolling Stone says this:

'[Colonel] asked [NBC] to produce a special of Presley singing Christmas songs.'

Bones Howe said the following:

'Later I found myself in the studio with [Elvis], and then even later I was on the TV show [as co-producer and music director]. Bob Finkel, the executive producer with NBC, came to us and said, "You guys gotta help me out with this one. The Colonel has talked NBC into doing a Christmas special, and Elvis is gonna sing twenty-four Christmas songs." So we went in to the meeting with these people and [producer] Steve Binder and I managed to corner Elvis in a room by himself. Steve said, "Elvis, it's a shame nobody ever gets to see you the way you really are. I mean, you've done Ed Sullivan and a lot of TV, but it's too bad we can't do a special where you do the rock songs you're famous for, and some of the new songs. It'll be in-color and state-of-the-art sound." Elvis talked The Colonel into it. '

So key people Bob Finkel, Bones Howe and Steve Binder referred to it. People who were there during conversations. Maybe, the Colonel didn't bother to write up the discussion that led to his change of mind. He probably trusted Binder to just get on with it.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Deleted due to doubts about the information

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:53 pm

Norman wrote:No, that is still the case – the Colonel wanted a Christmas special, with around 20 themed songs.

Rolling Stone says this:

'[Colonel] asked [NBC] to produce a special of Presley singing Christmas songs.'

'Later I found myself in the studio with [Elvis], and then even later I was on the TV show [as co-producer and music director]. Bob Finkel, the executive producer with NBC, came to us and said, "You guys gotta help me out with this one. The Colonel has talked NBC into doing a Christmas special, and Elvis is gonna sing twenty-four Christmas songs." So we went in to the meeting with these people and [producer] Steve Binder and I managed to corner Elvis in a room by himself. Steve said, "Elvis, it's a shame nobody ever gets to see you the way you really are. I mean, you've done Ed Sullivan and a lot of TV, but it's too bad we can't do a special where you do the rock songs you're famous for, and some of the new songs. It'll be in-color and state-of-the-art sound." Elvis talked The Colonel into it. '

So key people Bob Finkel, Bones Howe and Steve Binder referred to it. People who were there during conversations. Maybe, the Colonel didn't bother to write up the discussion that led to his change of mind. He probably trusted Binder to just get on with it.

And so how long ago did Bones Howe state that , Norman ? Maybe the gentlemen recollections have became vague or they chosen not to ruin the legend.

Sorry mate, but I'm siding with Colonel's explanation about this as they're appear to be based on fact.

Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:36 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote: I'm siding with Colonel's explanation about this as they're appear to be based on fact.

Colonel Parker or colonel snow ?
I'm happy to be an Elvis fan! 8-)

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:37 pm

haha good one mate :lol:

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:53 am

Deleted due to copyright infringements.

colone snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:09 am

Good on you Colonel.

I would like to know what was CTP's rationale/reasoning (December 1967) in wanting Elvis to do a Christmas special ?

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:Good on you Colonel.

I would like to know what was CTP's rationale/reasoning (December 1967) in wanting Elvis to do a Christmas special ?

The movie contracts ended soon so it's easy in my opinion: $$$$$; no dime for the artistic career of Elvis.

colonel snow

Norman
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Norman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:20 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:
Norman wrote:No, that is still the case – the Colonel wanted a Christmas special, with around 20 themed songs.

Rolling Stone says this:

And so how long ago did Bones Howe state that , Norman ? Maybe the gentlemen recollections have became vague or they chosen not to ruin the legend.

Sorry mate, but I'm siding with Colonel's explanation about this as they're appear to be based on fact.

No problems Walter.

Bones Howe interview was from 2008 . The age of speaker is not always enough of reason to distrust an account; it’s about facts, especially when the facts are corroborated by two others privy to the discussions.

From reading this thread, I’m not sure which part of the 1968 special you’re disagreeing with me about.

Col Snow:
The story about Christmas songs to be included asked by Colonel Parker in may 1968 is wrong. In january 1968 Steve Binder asked for Elvis' songs and the next songs (with promotion material) were sent by Colonel Parker.

Walter:
So contrary to legend, the good ol' Colonel did not demand that the TV special was to be an all xmas product

Col Snow:
I refer to the date "may 1968" in the Rolling stone magazine which is absolutely wrong about Christmas songs.

(If there’s still any doubt the Colonel Parker wanted an Elvis All-Christmas Special, see the bottom of this thread.)

Then, my comment (above)

Walter:

Which bit are you siding with – the “TV special was to be an all xmas product” (Col Snow did not state that recently) or is it the statement “The story about Christmas songs to be included asked by Colonel Parker in may 1968 is wrong (Which is a separate point on what Rolling Stone dating of events.

Col Snow:

october 1967 - start negotiations about Christmas TV special with NBC;
november 1967 - negotiations continued about Christmas TV Special + a movie in future;
Walter:
Good on you Colonel.

Walter:

Anyway, here’s some useful information about the Christmas theme showing that it mattered to Colonel Parker:

Billy Smith, being forthright on what Elvis was railing against:

It could have been another Christmas special, but Binder flat put his foot down, and that helped Elvis go up against the Colonel. Elvis was really all for it, even though he was saying. “Yes sir, Colonel,” and “No sir, Colonel.” But then when they got off to themselves, he’d say, “Look Colonel, Steve’s more right than you think. That’s basically what I want to do.” But he didn’t say it to Colonel in front of Binder because he wouldn’t do the Colonel that way. And at the same time, I guarantee you he as talking to Binder, saying “Don’t budge, man. That’s what I want to do.” (Elvis and the Memphis Mafia)

Now this part, reflected in the Rolling Stone piece, is what Colonel Snow writes is not true:

Alanna Nash (The Colonel):

May 1967 Finkel met with the Colonel and Singer Sewing Machine Company. Finkel suggests expanding the Christmas theme. “He’d like to embrace material from Elvis’ long career,” he said. Parker approved, as long as a Christmas sing closed the programme and Elvis controlled the music publishing throughout.

Peter Guralnick interview with Bob Finkel, for the former’s book, Careless Love:

Finkel, after a series of meetings with the Colonel had finally persuaded the sponsor (the Singer Sewing Company), the network, and most importantly, the Colonel, himself, to abandon the original plan of simply presenting an hour of Elvis singing Christmas songs on a bare stage.

Guralnick (Careless Love – notes section) on a contemporaneous memo:

In the Memorandum Report of the May 8 meeting it was noted that Singer representative Alfred DiScipio “was able to convince Parker that the program ought not to be a purely Christmas oriented show “ but instead should feature Elvis’ hits of the last eight or ten years…

Return to “Everything Elvis”