All the Elvis you can take

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Re: ELVIS - THE COMPLETE '50s MOVIE MASTERS AND SESSION RECORDINGS

Postby Pacer » Sun May 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Jukebox wrote:
Tulsa Mclean wrote: here´s hope MRS does a special 60´s movies cd package
so we can enjoy a "Kissin´Cousins" soundtrack hiss free release...

Tulsa, this unique CD is the best you're ever going to hear "Tender Feeling" without hiss. Someone recently surprised me with a CD-R copy of it and the whole disc sounds fabulous! >> http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/i ... ousins.htm

~ Kissin' Cousins - Spliced Take Special: Cardsleeve Edition CD is an incredible new album, featuring extended versions, alternate takes including new instrumental tracks and some pretty cool edits!

ALL tracks are brand new edits and sound very rare and refreshing. The title track, for example, starts off with an alternate opening and includes the extra verses.

"Gold in the Mountains" has been extended and includes rare alternate musical segments.
For "Tender Feeling" they used the alternate take 1 (vocal)

There exists not an alternate vocal for tender feeling (only an alternate backing track take - but not an alternate vocal).

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun May 20, 2018 8:22 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:From what I heard, FTD have all the Kissin' Cousins master components [vocals and tracks], so they could have quite easily created brand new masters.

But it is so typical of those in charge to do the least for the biggest gain.

I'd actually be embarrassed to put my name to releasing such shoddy product knowing fully well the material had the potential to sound so much better.

Don't you think the masters on the ftd sounds a bit better than the double feature release?

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun May 20, 2018 8:27 pm

TonyS wrote:Let me add I'm very happy with the mastering, I'm on disc three and it sounds fab !
ps. Best master of Loving You to date on this, nicely repaired.

Talk about the single master of loving you?
What was there to be repaired?

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Sun May 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Pacer wrote:
TonyS wrote:Let me add I'm very happy with the mastering, I'm on disc three and it sounds fab !

The noisey splice right at the end between the words 'Loving' and 'You'.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun May 20, 2018 8:36 pm

TonyS wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:I know I asked the same question last year for another MRS release (and got no answer) but, what does it mean that "all tracks have been remastered and faithfully restored to their original sound quality" ?

Hasn't all this material been already released by FTD in definitive quality, and from the original master tapes ?

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I can guarantee you that they've been re-mastered.
Some actually sound better (to me) than what FTD have put out.
I wouldn't call everything that FTD has done definitive quality, the master of Loving You being a case in point here.
I think it would have cost in excess of over £200 to get all this from FTD on their various releases and here MRS have a package for around £35-£40.
I can live with that... and I do own the FTD releases too. ;)
The general public can't buy these tracks at retail from FTD, but they'll be able to get this on Amazon, HMV and even in stores on the hight street.
All good for promoting Elvis in my book, hey, they might even pick up some Sony releases after this as well, who knows?

Another question....both releases of "jailhouse rock " on Ftd were outstanding and in my book one of the highlights on the Ftd history (mind you....4 CD s of jailhouse rock material in outstanding quality......people would have killed each other for that in the 80s. Nowadays a 76 live soundboard gets more applause and people even put Elvis in concert from 1977 higher in their list than these sensational 4 cds).......

My question.....i loved vol.1 of jailhouse rock with the complete sessions of some songs in very good quality.
But when vol.2 of jailhouse rock came out.....i noticed that the outtakes on vol. 2 did even sound better than the outtakes on vol.1.
Different mastering etc.....i don't know.......but the outtakes on vol.2 sounded way better than the already very good outtakes of vol.1.

My question:on this Mrs set.....have the outtakes of the jailhouse rock vol.1 ftd been brought up to the same quality level like the ones from vol.2 on Ftd?

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 pm

TonyS wrote:
Pacer wrote:

The noisey splice right at the end between the words 'Loving' and 'You'.

(You mean the " looking.....heeeeeeeeee you....."there is a splice?)
In Ernst joergensens book it said "take 4" and no mention of a splice on the master take .
Hmmmm

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Pacer wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:I know I asked the same question last year for another MRS release (and got no answer) but, what does it mean that "all tracks have been remastered and faithfully restored to their original sound quality" ?

Hasn't all this material been already released by FTD in definitive quality, and from the original master tapes ?

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I can guarantee you that they've been re-mastered.
I wouldn't call everything that FTD has done definitive quality, the master of Loving You being a case in point here.
I think it would have cost in excess of over £200 to get all this from FTD on their various releases and here MRS have a package for around £35-£40.
The general public can't buy these tracks at retail from FTD, but they'll be able to get this on Amazon, HMV and even in stores on the hight street.
All good for promoting Elvis in my book, hey, they might even pick up some Sony releases after this as well, who knows?

Another question....both releases of "jailhouse rock " on Ftd were outstanding and in my book one of the highlights on the Ftd history (mind you....4 CD s of jailhouse rock material in outstanding quality......people would have killed each other for that in the 80s. Nowadays a 76 live soundboard gets more applause and people even put Elvis in concert from 1977 higher in their list than these sensational 4 cds).......

My question.....i loved vol.1 of jailhouse rock with the complete sessions of some songs in very good quality.
But when vol.2 of jailhouse rock came out.....i noticed that the outtakes on vol. 2 did even sound better than the outtakes on vol.1.
Different mastering etc.....i don't know.......but the outtakes on vol.2 sounded way better than the already very good outtakes of vol.1.

My question:on this Mrs set.....have the outtakes of the jailhouse rock vol.1 ftd been brought up to the same quality level like the ones from vol.2 on Ftd?

They sound better to me, but it's very subjective and I wouldn't say they're exactly as good.
Getting back to Loving You, yes there was a splice, more details here: http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-ses ... 24.html#01

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun May 20, 2018 8:49 pm

TonyS wrote:
Pacer wrote:
TonyS wrote:

They sound better to me, but it's very subjective and I wouldn't say they're exactly as good.
Getting back to Loving You, yes there was a splice, more details here: http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-ses ... 24.html#01

Ok, have to listen to the master of loving you again.
But you agree with me that the outtakes on vol.2 sounded more sensational and fuller than the ones of vol.1 from Ftd?

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Sun May 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Pacer wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Pacer wrote:
TonyS wrote:

Ok, have to listen to the master of loving you again.
But you agree with me that the outtakes on vol.2 sounded more sensational and fuller than the ones of vol.1 from Ftd?

Yes, absolutely... and The repeated masters sound better too.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun May 20, 2018 8:58 pm

I mean, I can get that set on Amazon for less than 40 euros.
So it's cheap. But since I am not a CD collector and I don't wanna buy stuff over and over again....i am thinking.
And if you say that the outtakes of vol.1 sound better...
By the way...did they use also the dry thorne nogar live studio mixes of the king Creole material (like on the ftd of kind Creole and firstly on the complete 50s masters in 1992) on this Mrs set?
Or the more echoey album masters?

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Sun May 20, 2018 10:47 pm

Pacer wrote:I mean, I can get that set on Amazon for less than 40 euros.
So it's cheap. But since I am not a CD collector and I don't wanna buy stuff over and over again....i am thinking.
And if you say that the outtakes of vol.1 sound better...
By the way...did they use also the dry thorne nogar live studio mixes of the king Creole material (like on the ftd of kind Creole and firstly on the complete 50s masters in 1992) on this Mrs set?
Or the more echoey album masters?

They sound like the dry masters to me, Hard Headed Woman sounds very crisp and sharp.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun May 20, 2018 10:58 pm

Funny , I still think a lot of the masters from the loving you soundtrack on the 50s box from 1992 don't sound better on the ftd.
To my ears, and I have good ears, the 50s mono masters on the ftd of loving you do not sound better than on the 50s the king of rock'n'roll box from 1992 (although everybody disagrees with me and says that the ftd loving you masters are way better than the 1992 masters).
I can't detect an improvement (unlike on a lot of reisssues of his 60s and 70s albums on ftd).
So what you think?

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun May 20, 2018 11:33 pm

Tony,your opinion here matter for me if I buy this set or not...so c'mon

John

Postby John » Mon May 21, 2018 7:47 am

So here's Jailhouse Rock from 5 different releases. It would be interesting to know which one you prefer. If you can, take a listen through headphones. I will reveal the sources once you tell me which you like best. I've also attached a photo of the soundwaves.
Jailhouse Rock soundwave.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon May 21, 2018 8:01 am

Pacer wrote:Tony,your opinion here matter for me if I buy this set or not...so c'mon

It's your choice Pacer, I just like have things together at hand in one package.
John, regarding Jailhouse Rock my top two in this order are 1 and 4.... but that's listening through the speaker on my iPhone, probably not the best way for me to do it.

Return to “Everything Elvis”