ELVIS - THE COMPLETE '50s MOVIE MASTERS AND SESSION RECORDINGS

All the Elvis you can take

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Re: ELVIS - THE COMPLETE '50s MOVIE MASTERS AND SESSION RECORDINGS

Postby Pacer » Tue May 22, 2018 6:26 pm

I bought the set...it will arrive in 3 days.
If I don't like ...oh well, for 36 euros ...no biggie...since I normally don't buy much Elvis stuff anymore these days. Only what I really listening to.

But to be honest.....3 or 4 sentences piers made in his review really shocked me.
If I had read them before I purchased the set....i wouldn't have bought the set.
Simply because for those 3 sentences which were meant for complimenting this release.....but for me they were a complete turnoff.

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Tue May 22, 2018 6:39 pm

John wrote:Keep listening to loud music through headphones and you too can lose your hearing.

A whole bunch of things just came to mind.....
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Tue May 22, 2018 6:39 pm

Pacer wrote:

I bought the set...it will arrive in 3 days.
If I don't like ...oh well, for 36 euros ...no biggie...since I normally don't buy much Elvis stuff anymore these days. Only what I really listening to.

But to be honest.....3 or 4 sentences piers made in his review really shocked me.
If I had read them before I purchased the set....i wouldn't have bought the set.
Simply because for those 3 sentences which were meant for complimenting this release.....but for me they were a complete turnoff.

Do you mind, if I ask, what was said that turned you off the release, Pacer?

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Tue May 22, 2018 6:40 pm

TonyS wrote:
John wrote:Keep listening to loud music through headphones and you too can lose your hearing.

A whole bunch of things just came to mind.....
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I like the second headphones - I think they are a fantastic fashion item, lol

:D

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Tue May 22, 2018 6:45 pm

MaestroDavros wrote:
Pacer wrote:I hope they used the mono masters for the love me tender soundtrack from the ftd.
Cause I didn't bought the ftd. And I heard that the masters sound betternthan the noisy 50s box set masters.
Although they also raved about the masters on the loving you get and I couldn't detect an improvement on teddy bear.
Will check hot dog though.

All in all it is my opinion that in a lot of instances the masters of 50s mono tracks is not really improved like his 60s or 70s recordings are sometimes improved on Ftd.

Maybe because some first generation masters from the 50s are forever lost and you really can't mix anything new with a mono source.

The reason why the Love Me Tender EP masters sound so much better on the FTD Soundtrack, as well as The Complete Masters box is because they were new mono mixes made for the 2007 remasters from the original 3-track magnetic film strip elements. Poor Boy is probably the song that most benefited from this as the splice into the dryer vocal insert in the middle is not nearly as jarring as the original mix. Those original 1956 mixes by the way are the ones that appear on The Album Collection box versions of "For LP Fans Only" & "A Date With Elvis".

Thank you. 2 questions:
And these better sounding ftd masters of the love me tender soundtrack are also used on this new Mrs product?
Also you said "2007 remasters".
On which release they appeared first?
I thought those masters made their debut on the love me tender ftd.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Tue May 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Pacer wrote:

Thanks for the review, TonyS.

Horrible to admit, I have not ever read a review of Elvis' music, and now I understand why the enthusiasm for the nitty gritty.

Love that I have discovered something different to learn about, that is vast.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Tue May 22, 2018 7:02 pm

TonyS wrote:The best way to describe what you're listening for is 'it's like a bit of fluff hitting the stylus' on a record player.
Here's a file where I've lifted the volume so you can hear better what your trying to pick out.

loving-you-blip.wav

And now here's the comparison (at the same level) of both versions, the MRS remaster being the second.... no blip now.

comparison_loving_you_and_remaster.wav

True,on the mrs remaster both words sounds organic (sung at the same time in the same take) and fluid into each other -compared to the previous version, where the "heeeehhh you" sounds "flown in" (like a splice or a "punch in" repair like they did on "it is so strange", so either they did spliced in 1957 two takes like Keith lists now or they originally made a "punch in" vocal repair on the master tape without necessarily a splice of a another take or even a work part. Could that be?).
Last edited by Pacer on Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Tue May 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Thank you, good to read (and to listen) to all of this.

:D

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue May 22, 2018 9:00 pm

Pacer wrote:
TonyS wrote:The best way to describe what you're listening for is 'it's like a bit of fluff hitting the stylus' on a record player.
Here's a file where I've lifted the volume so you can hear better what your trying to pick out.

loving-you-blip.wav

And now here's the comparison (at the same level) of both versions, the MRS remaster being the second.... no blip now.

comparison_loving_you_and_remaster.wav

True,on the mrs remaster both words sounds organic (sung at the same time in the same take) and fluid into each other -compared to the previous version, where the "heeeehhh you" sounds "flown in" (like a splice or a "punch in" repair like they did on "it is so strange", so either they did spliced in 1957 two takes like Keith lists now or they originally made a "punch in" vocal repair on the master tape without necessarily a splice of a another take or even a work part. Could that be?).

This is a very interesting discussion. Thank you.

I must confess I have never noticed anything weird regarding the ending of "Loving You", and I have good ears for such things. I did always notice that, for example, the endings of "Too Much" and "Paralyzed" were spliced portions, even before I read about it. And I was the first one to notice that repair on the master take of "Is It So Strange", which honestly makes me very proud, because it is one of my all-time favourite recordings by Elvis.

But I grew up - late 70s, early 80s - listening to Electronically Reprocessed Stereo albums and, to be honest, anything that doesn't have that artificial echo, and Elvis duetting with himself sounds great to me.

And I still would like to know what "restored to their original sound quality" means on those MRS releases... ;)

John

Postby John » Tue May 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
And I still would like to know what "restored to their original sound quality" means on those MRS releases... ;)

Join the club Mister Moon.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue May 22, 2018 11:20 pm

TonyS wrote:A whole bunch of things just came to mind.....

"Hmmm... the spread of the stereo image is a little narrow there..."
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Wed May 23, 2018 11:02 am

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Even more compressing, like piers wrote in his review, certainly isn't " restored to their original sound quality"" .
That paragraph made a little upset.

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am

John wrote:
It says that all tracks have been remastered and faithfully restored to their original sound quality. I suspect that statement could be challenged. Anyway, as with most, if not all, MRS releases, remastered generally means louder, and that’s what they seem to have done here. They all sound great, just louder. In this respect you could play just about any of the FTD versions, just turn the volume up slightly.

Pacer wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Even more compressing, like piers wrote in his review, certainly isn't " restored to their original sound quality"" .

You could always just turn the volume down slightly. ;)

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 pm

TonyS wrote:
John wrote:
It says that all tracks have been remastered and faithfully restored to their original sound quality. I suspect that statement could be challenged. Anyway, as with most, if not all, MRS releases, remastered generally means louder, and that’s what they seem to have done here. They all sound great, just louder. In this respect you could play just about any of the FTD versions, just turn the volume up slightly.

Pacer wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

You could always just turn the volume down slightly. ;)

Who does THAT? LOL

KEV

Postby KEV » Wed May 23, 2018 10:00 pm

Old Folk!!!!.
Keep the FAITH MIKE :!: :!:

KEV

Return to “Everything Elvis”