ELVIS - THE COMPLETE '50s MOVIE MASTERS AND SESSION RECORDINGS

All the Elvis you can take

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Re: ELVIS - THE COMPLETE '50s MOVIE MASTERS AND SESSION RECORDINGS

Postby Pacer » Mon May 21, 2018 3:07 pm

And your current wife?
The one who is not in room 101 or in your freezer...

John

Postby John » Mon May 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Pacer wrote:And your current wife?
The one who is not in room 101 or in your freezer...

There is no current wife. I've had a few, but only two were mine. I'm looking now for the next Mrs John.

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon May 21, 2018 4:50 pm

I hope you realise I was just pulling your leg and not being snarky John ?
I can wait ... and I'm looking forward to the good, bad and the ugly. ;)

Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Mon May 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Pacer wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
Tulsa Mclean wrote: here´s hope MRS does a special 60´s movies cd package
so we can enjoy a "Kissin´Cousins" soundtrack hiss free release...

Tulsa, this unique CD is the best you're ever going to hear "Tender Feeling" without hiss. Someone recently surprised me with a CD-R copy of it and the whole disc sounds fabulous! >> http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/i ... ousins.htm

~ Kissin' Cousins - Spliced Take Special: Cardsleeve Edition CD is an incredible new album, featuring extended versions, alternate takes including new instrumental tracks and some pretty cool edits!

ALL tracks are brand new edits and sound very rare and refreshing. The title track, for example, starts off with an alternate opening and includes the extra verses.

"Gold in the Mountains" has been extended and includes rare alternate musical segments.
For "Tender Feeling" they used the alternate take 1 (vocal)

There exists not an alternate vocal for tender feeling (only an alternate backing track take - but not an alternate vocal).

Yes, that's correct. I had copied & pasted what was written elsewhere on that.
The bootleggers combined the isolated master vocal (take 1) with the alternate backing track (take 1). It now sounds better than ever, imo.
I'm happy to be an Elvis fan! 8-)

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon May 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Listening on headphones now 5, 2 and 4 and in that order.
Just goes to prove it only sounds as good as what you're listening on AND that it's all subjective anyway.
Yes, I prefer 5 wherever it's from, even though it's an MP3 compressed file example and not hi res audio.

John

Postby John » Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 pm

TonyS wrote:I hope you realise I was just pulling your leg and not being snarky John ?

Yeah, I do realise. I didn't want you to report me for slacking. I have started. I've taken photos of the book etc, and I've compared Love Me Tender so far.

John

Postby John » Mon May 21, 2018 8:49 pm

TonyS wrote:Listening on headphones now 5, 2 and 4 and in that order.
Just goes to prove it only sounds as good as what you're listening on AND that it's all subjective anyway.
Yes, I prefer 5 wherever it's from, even though it's an MP3 compressed file example and not hi res audio.

Interesting. Let's see if we get any more.

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon May 21, 2018 10:46 pm

John

Postby John » Mon May 21, 2018 11:34 pm

I'm not going to go to those lengths, but I see that there have been complaints from others about the CD housing.

Anyway, I've started...

As with all MRS products, the package looks great. It consists of 5 CDs with photos of Elvis on each, a 200 page book which is full of quality photos, many unseen I think, a synopsis of each film and a great deal of interesting information relating to the movies. The songs are spread across the 5 CDs, but as far as I’m concerned, I would have preferred them to group the tracks from each film together. Instead we get all the masters from the four films on CD1, along with some movie versions. CD2 contains alternate takes from the 4 films in order but then followed by the various versions of the song Loving You after the King Creole takes.

CDs 3, 4 and 5 are all from Jailhouse Rock.

It's called The Complete ’50 Movie Masters & Session Recordings. Complete?

It says that all tracks have been remastered and faithfully restored to their original sound quality. I suspect that statement could be challenged. Anyway, as with most, if not all, MRS releases, remastered generally means louder, and that’s what they seem to have done here. They all sound great, just louder. In this respect you could play just about any of the FTD versions, just turn the volume up slightly.

The intro to Baby I Don’t Care is less hissy than any other version, but in fact they’ve reduced the high end so much, that it doesn’t sound as good as I first thought it did.

I'm not happy with the packaging. The little plastic clip broke on one side and cracked on another, so that the CD falls out when I open the cover. Also the back plastic housing digs into the photo, so it's made a mark on it.

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG

To be continued.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John

Postby John » Tue May 22, 2018 12:07 am

Crawfish.

We get the unedited master (also on King Creole FTD disc 1, which includes the take being called and some chat beforehand, and on Essential Elvis Vol 3: Hits Like Never Before without the preamble). This has additional Kitty White vocals at the beginning and at the end of the song. We also get the movie version which has Kitty White dueting with Elvis during the song and different edits of her vocal at the beginning and end. They've done a pretty job of reducing the volume of the horses hooves. We don't get the actual edited master.

One thing I've always noticed is where Elvis sings "if you boil him crisp", it's always sounded like he sings "crist" so as to avoid a pop on the letter p.

Loving You (master)

TonyS has said they've cleaned up the noisy splice at the end of the song between the words Loving and You. I can't say I have ever noticed this before and it hasn't occurred to me that it was a splice. It just sounded like Elvis breathing between the two words. It still sounds the same to me. I can't hear any change.

PiersEIN

Postby PiersEIN » Tue May 22, 2018 1:58 am

EIN has a big review here.

Great set very happy with it - especially Baby I Dont Care

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/book_review ... dings.html

The Loving You splice was always a "spacial" difference you could hear on headphones. Like the studio ambiance had changed rather than a tape crease sound.

Cheers
Piers

MaestroDavros

Postby MaestroDavros » Tue May 22, 2018 3:32 am

Pacer wrote:I hope they used the mono masters for the love me tender soundtrack from the ftd.
Cause I didn't bought the ftd. And I heard that the masters sound betternthan the noisy 50s box set masters.
Although they also raved about the masters on the loving you get and I couldn't detect an improvement on teddy bear.
Will check hot dog though.

All in all it is my opinion that in a lot of instances the masters of 50s mono tracks is not really improved like his 60s or 70s recordings are sometimes improved on Ftd.

Maybe because some first generation masters from the 50s are forever lost and you really can't mix anything new with a mono source.

The reason why the Love Me Tender EP masters sound so much better on the FTD Soundtrack, as well as The Complete Masters box is because they were new mono mixes made for the 2007 remasters from the original 3-track magnetic film strip elements. Poor Boy is probably the song that most benefited from this as the splice into the dryer vocal insert in the middle is not nearly as jarring as the original mix. Those original 1956 mixes by the way are the ones that appear on The Album Collection box versions of "For LP Fans Only" & "A Date With Elvis".

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Tue May 22, 2018 4:33 am

John wrote:
TonyS wrote:I hope you realise I was just pulling your leg and not being snarky John ?

Yeah, I do realise. I didn't want you to report me for slacking. I have started. I've taken photos of the book etc, and I've compared Love Me Tender so far.

The reports are stacking up on you now, John - you need to take some action!

LOL

Ciscoking

Postby Ciscoking » Tue May 22, 2018 5:06 am

Did they include all and everything as the title states ?

Great reviews, friends !
Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

John

Postby John » Tue May 22, 2018 6:29 am

PiersEIN wrote:
The Loving You splice was always a "spacial" difference you could hear on headphones. Like the studio ambiance had changed rather than a tape crease sound.

Cheers
Piers

Piers, I've listened to it on headphones only so far, and as far as I'm concerned, I can't hear any major change, certainly nothing to get excited about.

It's a great set, as always with MRS.

Return to “Everything Elvis”