THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

All the Elvis you can take

WalterHaleJnr

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:12 am

Good on you Tony S, Now something else to watch out for was with the PAL version on both episodes as they were aired in australia sounded speeded up, than the norm. I think that's common when converting american made product to PAL.

TonyS

Postby TonyS » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:00 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:Good on you Tony S, Now something else to watch out for was with the PAL version on both episodes as they were aired in australia sounded speeded up, than the norm. I think that's common when converting american made product to PAL.

Actually, yes.
Always been that way.
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.

Juan Luis

Postby Juan Luis » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:55 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:Any word yet if THE SEARCHER will get an "Official" dvd and bluRay release and if this will be in longerform than the TV edit ? The longform must cover the stuff that was controversially left out of the TV edit that other fans have noted. (1957 being one example).
I hope so. Ten hours was edited down to three.

KEV

Postby KEV » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:57 pm

Elvis Presley: The Searcher
(Collector's Edition)

https://www.deepdiscount.com/elvis-pres ... 3396540651
Just A View,

KEV

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:01 am

silly typo error at the end...

Description
Elvis Presley: The Searcher on DVD

POSITIONING: From the archives of Graceland and EP Priscilla Presley, this 2-part documentary style film focuses on Elvis, the artist and musician. Containing never-before-seen footage and music recordings, the mini-series follows Elvis from his childhood through to his final recording session in 1978. :roll:

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:42 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:silly typo error at the end...

...the mini-series follows Elvis from his childhood through to his final recording session in 1978. :roll:

Maybe they found a happy medium & held a seance...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

KEV

Postby KEV » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:05 am

UK issue ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DQ3H64P/ ... A383381011

The price will drop,but i want to know will it have extras?.
Just A View,

KEV

goldbelt

Postby goldbelt » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:09 am

I addressed the potential issue with the chosen aspect ratio of The Searcher production at the time of the trailer first becoming available.

It cannot really be credibly argued that the use of such a narrow aspect ratio in any way served the archive footage or photography in a positive way. It clearly didn't add anything in terms of presentation. And this was a production that consisted largely of archive footage and photography to illustrate the story.

In fact if anything, the cropping of the Berle footage, for example, served only to dilute the message of the narrative when it should have been fully illustrating the impact of that tv performance.

Before it aired, there were those insisting the production was going to be so profound and so well researched that even the colours and font used for the poster for the production, and even a jukebox photograph found on the cd booklet were all so meaningful. The production soon proved this would not be the case.

And while the production did do some things well, of course, there were too many omissions, and failures to even challenge established narratives where applicable, that The Searcher ended up falling short on the depth and the knowledgeable insight that so much of the build up had promised.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:38 am

goldbelt wrote:I addressed the potential issue with the chosen aspect ratio of The Searcher production at the time of the trailer first becoming available.

It cannot really be credibly argued that the use of such a narrow aspect ratio in any way served the archive footage or photography in a positive way. It clearly didn't add anything in terms of presentation. And this was a production that consisted largely of archive footage and photography to illustrate the story.

In fact if anything, the cropping of the Berle footage, for example, served only to dilute the message of the narrative when it should have been fully illustrating the impact of that tv performance.

Before it aired, there were those insisting the production was going to be so profound and so well researched that even the colours and font used for the poster for the production, and even a jukebox photograph found on the cd booklet were all so meaningful. The production soon proved this would not be the case.

And while the production did do some things well, of course, there were too many omissions, and failures to even challenge established narratives where applicable, that The Searcher ended up falling short on the depth and the knowledgeable insight that so much of the build up had promised.

Well, you took the long way around, of saying it sucked. And I agree.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Colin B wrote:
WalterHaleJnr wrote:silly typo error at the end...

...the mini-series follows Elvis from his childhood through to his final recording session in 1978. :roll:

Maybe they found a happy medium & held a seance...

The album was tentatively titled "Elvis Is Back... Again !", but the idea was dropped at the last minute.

Robbie

Postby Robbie » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:07 pm

goldbelt wrote:I addressed the potential issue with the chosen aspect ratio of The Searcher production at the time of the trailer first becoming available.

Yes 100%
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OnStage55

Postby OnStage55 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:19 pm

I taped The Searcher the first night it aired on HBO, that was 3 months ago today, and have only watched it a few times.
A few times tells me I was Not blown away by this, if I was I would have rewatched it again and again with enthusiasm.

I'm not saying this Documentary was not good, just not great, or that I did not like it, I just don't love it, kind of a let down really.
Depending on what the DVD has to offer, as in NOT CROPPED, or extra footage included, I can't see buying it, I'll settle for my taped copy.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:07 am

Regarding Zimny and Landau destroying the Berle footage, here is an excellent "Phoenix" topic on the subject. Don't miss it ;) :

Elvis, From The Waist Up, 2018 - Searching For Elvis' Legs
https://www.theelvisforum-phoenix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8239

So this is the best Elvis documentary we've ever had ? I doubt it but, even in that case, that would be like being the one-eyed guy in the land of the blind. You know, he is the king.

Gimme the good ole "This Is Elvis" days.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Regarding Zimny and Landau destroying the Berle footage, here is an excellent "Phoenix" topic on the subject. Don't miss it ;) :

Elvis, From The Waist Up, 2018 - Searching For Elvis' Legs
https://www.theelvisforum-phoenix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8239

So this is the best Elvis documentary we've ever had ? I doubt it but, even in that case, that would be like being the one-eyed guy in the land of the blind. You know, he is the king.

Gimme the good ole "This Is Elvis" days.

"The Definitive Elvis" is really good too, and covers alot of ground in it's 8 discs.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:36 pm

I am not surprised by Linda Thompson's point of view:

Linda Thompson.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hi Jim, it's Jamie at the police impound, they picked up your car again, lately they've been driving it more than you have."

Return to “Everything Elvis”