THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

All the Elvis you can take
User avatar

Topic author
Jukebox
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:03 pm
Has thanked: 560 times
Been thanked: 419 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby Jukebox » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:02 pm

TonyS wrote:
....and then suddenly the viewer is inside a very quiet, dim-lit Graceland as if no-one is at home. You're by yourself . . .

As the NBC intro is being heard, the camera is slowly making its way to the living room where a color television set is already turned on...

I don't recall a TV in Elvis' living room at Graceland?

The little music room at the far end of the living room. I should've been more specific.
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=elvis+p ... hZyelqFk3M:
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=elvis+p ... zY3IJOnWHM:


TonyS
Posts: 3427
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1385 times
Been thanked: 1650 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby TonyS » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:07 pm

Jukebox wrote:
TonyS wrote:
....and then suddenly the viewer is inside a very quiet, dim-lit Graceland as if no-one is at home. You're by yourself . . .

As the NBC intro is being heard, the camera is slowly making its way to the living room where a color television set is already turned on...

I don't recall there being a TV in Elvis' living room at Graceland?

The little music room at the far end of the living room. I should've been more specific.
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=elvis+p ... zY3IJOnWHM:

And if remember correctly... Elvis watched it in L.A. not a Graceland, others watched it there and then spoke with him to give him their reactions via telephone.
Maybe they were all in the TV room downstairs.
It sounds like a nice opening to the documentary even if none authentic.
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.

User avatar

Topic author
Jukebox
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:03 pm
Has thanked: 560 times
Been thanked: 419 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby Jukebox » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:18 pm

TonyS wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
TonyS wrote:
....and then suddenly the viewer is inside a very quiet, dim-lit Graceland as if no-one is at home. You're by yourself . . .

As the NBC intro is being heard, the camera is slowly making its way to the living room where a color television set is already turned on...

I don't recall there being a TV in Elvis' living room at Graceland?

The little music room at the far end of the living room. I should've been more specific.
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=elvis+p ... zY3IJOnWHM:

And if remember correctly... Elvis watched it in L.A. not a Graceland, others watched it there and then spoke with him to give him their reactions via telephone.
Maybe they were all in the TV room downstairs.
It sounds like a nice opening to the documentary even if none authentic.

You miss the whole point, Tony. It's not supposed to necessarily be authentic. The producers simply wanted to transform the viewer back to
that time, and they did a great job doing so.

What you're saying would be like claiming that the scene where Elvis is seen (from above) riding his bike on the dusty backroads of Tupelo is not authentic because drones didn't exist back then, so there's no realistic way that Elvis could've been seen by anyone from that viewpoint.
Last edited by Jukebox on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.


TonyS
Posts: 3427
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1385 times
Been thanked: 1650 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby TonyS » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:39 pm

No I didn't miss the point.
I said
"It sounds like a nice opening to the documentary even if none authentic."
Maybe I should have put it another way:
It's none authentic, but it sounds like a nice opening to the documentary. ;)
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.


a mess of Polk salad
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:31 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby a mess of Polk salad » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Jukebox wrote:
a mess of Polk salad wrote:Jukebox - please can you give me a clue what is in the opening of the documentary because I may not see it for months due to nothing on a UK showing here

If my memory serves me correctly...
There's about a minute (or two) featuring Elvis in his childhood with photos of him on different bicycles. Then there's a distant view from above (using a drone) following a supposedly young Elvis riding his bicycle on the dusty country back roads of Tupelo... (very nice visual effects so far)... the narrator calmly speaks a few lines about this & that to set things up, and then suddenly the viewer is inside a very quiet, dim-lit Graceland as if no-one is at home. You're by yourself . . .

(Keep in mind that the new theater at The Guest House at Graceland has fantastic surround sound)... All of a sudden that famous musical sound of NBC's old unique prime time introduction (like a digital harp) is heard loudly from above and all around the theater.

As the NBC intro is being heard, the camera is slowly making its way to the living room where a color television set is already turned on... and BAM! There's the NBC Peacock on television (in Elvis' living room) in all of its glory... which can only mean one thing! You're about to see Elvis Presley perform on television for the first time in 8-and-a-half years!! The producers succeed in putting you in the moment, in a time capsule... it's December 3,1968 all over again and you are in Elvis' damn living room!! How cool and crazy is that?!

As soon as the NBC Peacock finishes showing off his brilliant colors,
you know what's next... "If you're lookin' for trouble, you came to the right place!"

Close your eyes and play this loudly...
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxGyrQz_e8 << The NBC intro in the documentary seemed to be a little bit longer than this one.

-- I don't know if I was just caught up in the moment, but I thought the first 20 to 30 minutes of the documentary was absolutely fantastic
and stunningly well produced. You could tell right away that this film was going to compliment Elvis as a real person and as a real musician
like nothing else had before.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ok, a mess of Polk salad, that's all I've got. I hope I didn't exaggerate too much... or put you to sleep.

Man oh man that's amazing!

Thanks Jukebox for letting us in on this. You know I'm crazy about the '68 Special , you described it so well -just couldn't be a better intro ....

User avatar

Topic author
Jukebox
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:03 pm
Has thanked: 560 times
Been thanked: 419 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby Jukebox » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:18 am

TonyS wrote:Maybe I should have put it another way:
It's none authentic, but it sounds like a nice opening to the documentary. ;)

... That puts it in better perspective, Tony.

a mess of Polk salad wrote:Thanks Jukebox for letting us in on this. You know I'm crazy about the '68 Special , you described it so well -just couldn't be a better intro ....

You're welcome.
The '68 Special is the centerpiece of this documentary so you'll probably love it when you finally get to see it.


a mess of Polk salad
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:31 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby a mess of Polk salad » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:47 am

Jukebox -- you mention the '68 Special is the centre piece of the documentary , but there's only five songs on the soundtrack from it . Over 3 hours that's not many ...please are there anymore that perhaps are not on the soundtrack? Trouble/Guitarman - Baby what you want me to do x2 - Blue Christmas - If I Can Dream - 2 more would have been just right ...?

And are there songs in the movie that are not on the soundtrack, like many movies ...?

Thank you

User avatar

WalterHaleJnr
Posts: 8495
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:03 pm
Has thanked: 3489 times
Been thanked: 3093 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:56 am

Jukebox do you recall which Elvis notable concerts that the producers used excerpts of for the voice-overs ?

User avatar

Topic author
Jukebox
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:03 pm
Has thanked: 560 times
Been thanked: 419 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby Jukebox » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:10 pm

a mess of Polk salad wrote:Jukebox -- you mention the '68 Special is the centre piece of the documentary , but there's only five songs on the soundtrack from it . Over 3 hours that's not many ...please are there anymore that perhaps are not on the soundtrack? Trouble/Guitarman - Baby what you want me to do x2 - Blue Christmas - If I Can Dream - 2 more would have been just right ...?

It's "just right" the way they did it, imo.

There's enough included about the '68 Special to lead curious newbies to seek out more on their own...
>> https://www.amazon.com/Elvis-68-Comebac ... ck+special 8-)


a mess of Polk salad wrote:And are there songs in the movie that are not on the soundtrack

"Lawdy Miss Clawdy" by Lloyd Price

WalterHaleJnr wrote:Jukebox do you recall which Elvis notable concerts that the producers used excerpts of for the voice-overs ?

1957 Hawaii color footage, b&w photos from '61 Hawaii concert, and various from the 70s.

Walter, if I could've had input into this documentary I would've included footage from the New Year's Eve show of Dec. 31, 1976 (with positive voice-over commentary), but the producers chose not to go past the Jungle Room sessions timeframe.

User avatar

Colin B
Posts: 13422
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 2100 times
Been thanked: 2794 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby Colin B » Wed May 23, 2018 6:15 pm

10 Things We Learned From The Searcher:

I found this quite interesting:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/list ... ed-w519021
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

John
Posts: 10230
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 1443 times
Been thanked: 2363 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby John » Wed May 23, 2018 10:59 pm

Colin B wrote:10 Things We Learned From The Searcher:

I found this quite interesting:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/list ... ed-w519021

10? Maybe 2?

User avatar

Colin B
Posts: 13422
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 2100 times
Been thanked: 2794 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby Colin B » Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Colin B wrote:10 Things We Learned From The Searcher:

I found this quite interesting:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/list ... ed-w519021
John wrote:10? Maybe 2?



When they said 'we' I reckon they meant 'we non-fans'...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

John
Posts: 10230
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 1443 times
Been thanked: 2363 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby John » Wed May 23, 2018 11:08 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:10 Things We Learned From The Searcher:

I found this quite interesting:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/list ... ed-w519021
John wrote:10? Maybe 2?



When they said 'we' I reckon they meant 'we non-fans'...

Yes, I got that.


cadillac-elvis
Posts: 1143
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:16 am
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 268 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu May 24, 2018 3:12 am

Are we still discussing this old film? That was so last month.
They have made 3 documentaries in that time alone.

NEXT!!!

User avatar

Mountain Mist
Posts: 11238
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:06 pm
Has thanked: 8333 times
Been thanked: 7059 times

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby Mountain Mist » Thu May 24, 2018 3:16 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:Are we still discussing this old film? That was so last month.
They have made 3 documentaries in that time alone.

NEXT!!!



My question is, what would Alec Baldwin have to add with regard to Elvis' life?

:shock:
"Hi Jim, it's Jamie at the police impound, they picked up your car again, lately they've been driving it more than you have."


Return to “Everything Elvis”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bama, Bob TCB, Connorsgpa, LauraEPFan, marvan, Mister Moon, PetriTCB, Private Presley, thenexte and 11 guests