THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby Jukebox » Sun May 27, 2018 5:53 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
WalterHaleJnr wrote:This is Gary Garrison's take on the Searcher -

[ D+ ]

D+ seems a bit harsh. I personally would give the film a C or C+

He didn't say D, he said D Plus...

Yes... I realize that he didn't say D

WalterHaleJnr wrote: I will be watching and approaching The Searcher with an open mind and will later comment here.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts, Walter.

You know I was just kidding around.

I kidded around too much in high school and made some of those D's, D+'s, C's, and C+'s ;)
I'm happy to be an Elvis fan! 8-)

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun May 27, 2018 6:17 am

Jukebox wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
WalterHaleJnr wrote:This is Gary Garrison's take on the Searcher -

[ D+ ]

D+ seems a bit harsh. I personally would give the film a C or C+

He didn't say D, he said D Plus...

Yes... I realize that he didn't say D

WalterHaleJnr wrote: I will be watching and approaching The Searcher with an open mind and will later comment here.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts, Walter.

You know I was just kidding around.

I kidded around too much in high school and made some of those D's, D+'s, C's, and C+'s ;)

I aimed for C's, and I got 'em, most of the time.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun May 27, 2018 12:11 pm

I am enjoying The Searcher on the TV; however, after 1/2 hour, I am still waiting for something new.

Ohh, what was new, is that Jerry Schilling said that Elvis said something like, and I paraphrase, "I will copy that walk, I like that walk" when Elvis observed someone walking a particular way.

Anyway, I am enjoying, anyway.

............ now I am thinking of John Cleese's "funny walk" lol (which Elvis was good at) lol

Not what Jerry meant though. ;)

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun May 27, 2018 12:27 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:I am enjoying The Searcher on the TV; however, after 1/2 hour, I am still waiting for something new...

I don't think the idea was to reveal anything 'new' to established fans.

Simply to look at his work from a slightly different angle for potential converts !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun May 27, 2018 12:31 pm

Colin B wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:I am enjoying The Searcher on the TV; however, after 1/2 hour, I am still waiting for something new...

Simply to look at his work from a slightly different angle for potential converts !

Yes, you are right.

The show is flowing nicely, although, for new fans, in my view, I think there is too much information. For us, yes, we want to know.

:D

I like that the show keeps referring back to the Singer Special and showing clips of Elvis singing.

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sun May 27, 2018 12:49 pm

Colin B wrote:

part one is in progress here but the 1950s era is dragging on...and on. Agree with others who found the '68 footage has been somwhat degraded but maybe that was done to match the 1950s material. Am enjoying this for what this is.

To be continued... :lol:

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sun May 27, 2018 1:20 pm

pretty heartwrenching stuff just now with discussion about being drafted in the army and his mother who was in obvious poor health looking on whilst the song FARTHER ALONG plays in the background. I had tears in my eyes.

Topic author
Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Sun May 27, 2018 3:05 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote: Agree with others who found the '68 footage has been somewhat degraded but maybe that was done to match the 1950s material.

I agree, Walter. I think it was intentional on the part of the producers to show the '68 footage slightly degraded. If (and when) a new fan seeks out the '68 Comeback Special material on DVD they'll be pleasantly surprised at how good it looks from the source of an official release.

WalterHaleJnr wrote:pretty heartwrenching stuff just now with discussion about being drafted in the army and his mother who was in obvious poor health looking on whilst the song FARTHER ALONG plays in the background. I had tears in my eyes.

Yes, that was one of the most gripping parts of the entire documentary... along with the haunting sound of Gladys singing "Home Sweet Home".
I'm happy to be an Elvis fan! 8-)

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon May 28, 2018 7:37 pm

TV ratings has been modest regarding part one of THE SEARCHER here in Oz.

SBS

The 7.30 doco slot was filled by Britain’s Pompeii and the repeat episode After Stonehenge on 225,000.

The 8.30pm doco on the king followed with 192,000 watching Elvis Presley: The Searcher.

https://mediaweek.com.au/tv-ratings-may ... -nine-ten/

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed May 30, 2018 5:49 am

https://vimeo.com/272503904

I copied this from The Elvis Fan Club Scarborough Facebook site.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Thu May 31, 2018 6:03 am

What Else Is Left to Say About Elvis?

By
Matt Zoller Seitz

The two-part HBO documentary Elvis Presley: The Searcher doesn’t have many new thing to say about its subject, but 40-plus years and countless books, magazine articles, documentaries, and feature films after his death, I’m not sure what, factually, could have been added. The best that cultural critics and storytellers can do now is find a mildly fresh angle on the totality of Elvis, or zero in on a specific moment in his life or career. Filmmaker Thom Zimny, the director of numerous music documentaries and a regular editor on HBO’s The Wire, goes with option one, crafting a lengthy and meticulous, childhood-to-grave account of Elvis’s brief time on Earth.

If you’re mainly interested in seeing Elvis’s psychology, personal biography, and feelings explored in detail, this documentary won’t do much for you. Mythically powerful signposts and totems, such as the impact of Elvis’s twin brother dying at birth, get glossed over. Standard opinions are trotted out again, like the belief that Elvis’s movie output was mostly pointless, except for a couple of the early ones — a statement that people who obsess over how he moved, and how Hollywood struggled to reconcile its need for safety with Elvis’s sexual dangerousness, would dispute. Unsavory and depressing aspects of the King’s later years, such as his drug addiction and paranoia, his increasingly erratic and even violent behavior, and his symbiotic relationship with hangers-on, are barely addressed. Most of Elvis’s distress is blamed on the death of his mother and the dominance of Colonel Tom Parker, his longtime manager and a dark father figure — a conventional view of what drove the singer.

I’d imagine this is all the result of conscious exclusion or unconscious censorship. The documentary’s executive producers include Elvis’s wife, Priscilla; key “Memphis Mafia” member Jerry Schilling, who was friends with Elvis from 1954 until his death; Andrew Solt, who produced many documentaries about Elvis (and who must have either supplied or assisted with excerpts included here); and Jamie Salter, chairman and CEO of Authentic Brands Group, which manages Presley’s estate. There’s a sense in which this film — like a lot of recent documentaries about famous musicians — exist as brand extensions and ads first, no matter how much sensitivity and intelligence they bring to their subjects. Written biographies of Elvis — such as Peter Guralnick’s two-parter, Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love, from which The Searcher cribs its structure — have a lot more freedom to dig and speculate, because they don’t have to watch what they say for fear of being barred from being able to show his image or play his music.

Aesthetically, The Searcher is a win-some, lose-some situation. Mostly, it’s lose some, as reverently as it considers the meaning of Elvis. The editing seamlessly interweaves archival footage, re-creations with actors (their faces obscured), and informative close-ups of sheet music, album covers, contracts, and the like. The decision to restrict expert witnesses to audio-only allows living and dead witnesses (including Sun Records founder Sam Phillips, and Elvis himself) to coexist in a perpetual present of scholarship and appreciation. But the superficiality of the film’s biography makes it feel rushed, even when it’s making a point of lingering (as in the sections on Elvis entering the Army and Elvis becoming a sequined creature of Vegas).

The director’s decision to crop the entire thing to narrow CinemaScope dimensions is a mistake that will annoy anyone who cares about composition and/or is familiar with how media from Elvis’s time actually looked. It screams “This is cinematic!” while mangling the integrity of the older images, which comprise much of the film’s running time and were shot in the more squarish, 4:3 format characteristic of old newsreels and early TV. A lot of the time, we are literally seeing about 60 percent of what was there originally, often masked so that shots of groups of people can only show one person’s head while slicing off everyone else’s at the forehead or upper lip. When we’re looking at Elvis in a supertight close-up, bobbing and dancing, the cropping is a flat-out disaster: The King becomes a sweaty nose moving in and out of the frame. What difference does it make if the black bars are at the top and bottom of the frame as opposed to the sides? Why vandalize the past in this way?

Still, The Searcher excels when it analyzes the evolution of Elvis’s music and image, treating him (perhaps not coincidentally) as a human brand who was created before the word “brand” was a thing. The closest comparison is probably Martin Scorsese’s Bob Dylan biography No Direction Home, which was as much a critical-scholarly study of Dylan’s music as it was an account of his life. Bruce Springsteen’s longtime producer Jon Landau, the late Tom Petty, and other notable music-industry figures have smart things to say about Elvis’s relationship to gospel and country traditions and his relationship to black music, although a good bit of it feels like unnecessary damage control. Despite the famous Public Enemy lyric insisting that Elvis was “straight-up racist,” there’s no evidence of that being true. Nevertheless, The Searcher protests too much, in a way that makes it seem as if there’s fire with the smoke. Bruce Springsteen, of all people, makes a case for Elvis just wanting to share great music with the world when he was really just melding traditions he was familiar with and enjoyed, in an instinctive way that was surely more about self-expression than altruism or education.

When the subject is the specific sound of Elvis’s music — the component parts and how they ultimately combine and fuse — The Searcher is an absolute banger. I wouldn’t have minded a much shorter documentary focused only on that. Everybody who wades into this part of the pool has sharp observations to offer, Petty and Robertson in particular. But best in show goes to Priscilla Presley, who leverages her intimate relationship with Elvis to connect the sound of his music and the arc of his life. She talks about how his brilliant 1968 special was about reminding people of why Elvis was a big deal even as the instrumentation positioned him as a contemporary artist again: “It was about bringing him back to the beginning while going into the future.” She talks about his affinity for opera singers, and how that drove his vocal performance on his classic “It’s Now or Never,” and makes the killer observation that his late-’60s work was about blending gospel and blues and overlaying it all with his Elvisness, and in the process, finally achieving his fullest expression. If she had a podcast that did nothing but play Elvis’s music and then talk about how it sounded, I’d subscribe.

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Thu May 31, 2018 6:18 am

Colin, it's far to say that to date the tv ratings for THE SEARCHER either in the US or Australia has not been positive or as strong as the Estate and everyone associated with the programs script and production, had hoped for. I realize that the two networks, HBO (in the US) and SBS (Australia) are not exactly big players and that in itself demonstrates the lack of interest from major television broadcasters regarding this type of documentary. Is it an outdated concept ?

Then there's the soundtrack 3 cd compilation which has sold poorly at least to this point.

Do you think this trend will be reflected when the two shows airs in the UK ?

Quite frankly i found part one very tedious and was also puzzled by some of the glaring omissions. I mean the bulk of part one was all about the 1950s and that is understandable (doesn't mean i agree with the producers decision) but why bypass the year 1957 ?

They screening part two here on sunday night. I'd be interested to see what the ratings #2 will acheive and will post here.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Thu May 31, 2018 12:19 pm

Looks like reviewer Matt Zoller Seitz agrees with some of our members here:

The Searcher - Review.PNG

Including this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:33 pm

I finished watching the Searcher part 2 here about 30 minutes ago (10 pm local time) and, for the most part, i enjoyed it. The second part to me was a lot more enjoyable than part 1.

One thing i found Interesting that occurred to me whilst watching was how sad it was that a major singer/performer like Elvis was not able to do any concerts anywhere after 1961 and even then there was just two concerts in February and March, 1961 in Memphis and Hawaii respectively until Vegas, 1969. Even prior to 1961, Elvis performed no concerts since 1957.
So it was a good 12 years (1957 - 1969) that he could not promote many of the songs that made him famous in concerts and tours and was basically trapped in a Hollywood rut for 8 of the years (1961 -1968). I don't know of any other major talent who was absent for that length of time unable to give concerts or tours because of hollywood commitments. Thanks God he was able to turn that situation around in 1968/69.

Another thing, it's a pity they chose not to use a lot more of the Lloyd Shearer 1962 and July, 1972 Elvis interviews particularly with him commenting to the two Elvis On Tour producers, on how disappointed he was with the standard of his hollywood roles such as what movies he was expected to star and familiarity. ( Quote Elvis: "It didn't change").

"If I Can Dream" was a marvelous ending and interestingly enough in just two days, it will be fifty years since Bobby Kennedy's tragic death, of which gave Earl Brown the inspiration to write the song.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:59 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:What Else Is Left to Say About Elvis?

By
Matt Zoller Seitz

........ I’d subscribe.

All ok , kind of...it is his opinion.
But it seems (like other press reviews too) they all seem to miss the thing which usual is the centerpoint of most docs about elvis"his decline, how he got fat, was a caricature of himself, selling himself out in las vegas ( i heard a rumour that elvis also did made one or two concerts out of las vegas), the drugs etc....".
The image of elvis is so big that people think that this is the main point about elvis.
They can´t accept that it is or should with elvis about music.
And the bad parts on this docu don`t gloss over his decline, they just don`t make the docu on that.
It disturbs me that reviewers are slot of times so small-minded.

And oh yeah.....that he is of the opinion that the talking of priscilla is the most valuable on this docu just simply shows that the reviewer has a very unsubstantial knowledge of elvis.
Because he takes her musings at face value, not knowing her agenda since she is protecting the brand (and herself in the elvis-story) or really knowing other points of view from people who were close to elvis.

Return to “Everything Elvis”