Re: FTD--A Date with Elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:44 pm

John wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Putting out A date with Elvis, For LP fans only, Hits of the 70's, Pure gold,
and other such albums are not desirable
on a collectors label. They are more for re-issue labels.

I very seriously doubt that FTD will issue Pure Gold in any form.

A Date With Elvis and For LP Fans Only are indeed desirable to most collectors of the FTD classic albums.
The entire "Is It So Strange" session had never before been released in its entirety by Elvis' record company until the FTD.

If not desirable to you, cadillac-elvis, I can understand that and I can respect that, but there are a lot of Elvis fans
happy to get A Date With Elvis in the 7-inch format with a few unreleased items and a nice new shiny booklet... OCD or not.

Well, Ernst managed to bury two things on this release that have nothing to do with the original album.
1) the home recordings which deserve a release of thier own.
2) The binaural sessions, which also deserve a release of thier own.

I still remember the excitement I got from hearing 1950's stereo recordings for the first time on "Stereo 57". A great release.

I'm not sure that he buried them. It was plain to see what was on there.

You know what I mean.

John

Postby John » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:24 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

A Date With Elvis and For LP Fans Only are indeed desirable to most collectors of the FTD classic albums.
The entire "Is It So Strange" session had never before been released in its entirety by Elvis' record company until the FTD.

If not desirable to you, cadillac-elvis, I can understand that and I can respect that, but there are a lot of Elvis fans
happy to get A Date With Elvis in the 7-inch format with a few unreleased items and a nice new shiny booklet... OCD or not.

Well, Ernst managed to bury two things on this release that have nothing to do with the original album.

I still remember the excitement I got from hearing 1950's stereo recordings for the first time on "Stereo 57". A great release.

You know what I mean.

Not really. Perhaps if you make yourself clearer, I will.

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:45 am

John wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

You know what I mean.

I think I was very very clear.

John

Postby John » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:29 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:
You know what I mean.

I think I was very very clear.

You say:

I say he didn't bury them.

Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:I still remember the excitement I got from hearing 1950's stereo recordings for the first time on "Stereo 57".

In that case, I would think that you would continue to get excitement from each FTD containing
1950s binaural/stereo tracks such as A Date With Elvis, Elvis' Golden Records, etc...

cadillac-elvis wrote:No, I didn't have to buy it. But it's an addiction. I need help.

You're not the only one, cadillac-elvis.
A few months ago I had to force myself to stop buying Elvis CDs after 40+ years of collecting Elvis vinyl records, cassettes, CDs and CDRs (bootleg & official). I recognized it as an addiction, plus earlier this year I was diagnosed with some serious physical health issues, so therefore I've been short on cash for hobby-type things such as Elvis CDs. I've decided to stop buying Elvis CDs just for the sake of always trying to complete my collection. I've got enough Elvis music, and Johnny Cash music to last 3 lifetimes. I really don't need anymore, but I still enjoy the stuff I've already got!
I'm happy to be an Elvis fan! 8-)

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:20 pm

Jukebox wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:I still remember the excitement I got from hearing 1950's stereo recordings for the first time on "Stereo 57".

In that case, I would think that you would continue to get excitement from each FTD containing
1950s binaural/stereo tracks such as A Date With Elvis, Elvis' Golden Records, etc...

the binaural tracks have already been heard by everyone, they have been booted.

Ernst in all his wisdom says, lets sprinkle them among about 14 different releases.

I say.....in all my wisdom.....these tracks are a very important part of Elvis Presley history, and deserve a release all their own.

As do the home recordings.

Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:33 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:the binaural tracks have already been heard by everyone, they have been booted.

Please be reminded that not every Elvis collector buys bootlegs.

cadillac-elvis wrote:...these tracks [1950s binaural/stereo] are a very important part of Elvis Presley history, and deserve a release all their own.

I understand exactly what you're saying there, cadillac-elvis.

However, I also see Ernst's reasoning for choosing to do things the way he did . . .
It was very important to Ernst (and to many collectors) to re-issue most all of Elvis' RCA Victor albums on the FTD label. Ernst wanted to have enough bonus material included to make them interesting and worthwhile. Ernst chose various ways to accomplish that... alternate takes, false start outtakes, near-complete sessions, original mono albums, etc. ... and 1950s binaural/stereo recordings.

cadillac-elvis wrote:Ernst in all his wisdom says, lets sprinkle them among about 14 different releases.

:) . . . cadillac-elvis, you know you're exaggerating. Only 6 FTDs contain 1950s binaural/stereo recordings...
LOVE ME TENDER
LOVING YOU
JAILHOUSE ROCK
ELVIS' CHRISTMAS ALBUM
ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS
A DATE With ELVIS

Did I miss any ?

It'll be interesting to see what Ernst can come up with in order to make an FTD treatment of FOR LP FANS ONLY interesting
and worthwhile to collectors.

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Jukebox wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:the binaural tracks have already been heard by everyone, they have been booted.

Please be reminded that not every Elvis collector buys bootlegs.

cadillac-elvis wrote:...these tracks [1950s binaural/stereo] are a very important part of Elvis Presley history, and deserve a release all their own.

I understand exactly what you're saying there, cadillac-elvis.

However, I also see Ernst's reasoning for choosing to do things the way he did . . .
It was very important to Ernst (and to many collectors) to re-issue most all of Elvis' RCA Victor albums on the FTD label. Ernst wanted to have enough bonus material included to make them interesting and worthwhile. Ernst chose various ways to accomplish that... alternate takes, false start outtakes, near-complete sessions, original mono albums, etc. ... and 1950s binaural/stereo recordings.

cadillac-elvis wrote:Ernst in all his wisdom says, lets sprinkle them among about 14 different releases.

:) . . . cadillac-elvis, you know you're exaggerating. Only 6 FTDs contain 1950s binaural/stereo recordings...
LOVE ME TENDER
LOVING YOU
JAILHOUSE ROCK
ELVIS' CHRISTMAS ALBUM
ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS
A DATE With ELVIS

Did I miss any ?

It'll be interesting to see what Ernst can come up with in order to make an FTD treatment of FOR LP FANS ONLY interesting
and worthwhile to collectors.

I seriously do not understand everyone's compulsion with FTD.
I never said 14 FTD's. and I was guessing.
The binaurals have been issued on many main label releases, including the stereo 57 cd I mentioned and you missed.

By doing what Ernst has done, he has just cluttered the catalog even more.
But, if you are ok, with mediocre releases with little creativity, then so be it.

So, since Ernst is hell bent on releasing every album, can't wait for that talking on stage thing from 1974.
And I know all the FTD collectors can't wait either. Maybe to spruce that one up, he could release some of the dialogue from Elvis on tour? You know, to stay with non-singing theme.

Oh and you don't have to buy bootlegs to hear the outtakes, they are on youtube.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:58 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:...So, since Ernst is hell bent on releasing every album, can't wait for that talking on stage thing from 1974...

As a bonus, he could include the actual songs, too !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:12 am

Colin B wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:...So, since Ernst is hell bent on releasing every album, can't wait for that talking on stage thing from 1974...

As a bonus, he could include the actual songs, too !

Now there you go trying to ruin a good non-song themed release.

We want the talking album to be all talk. No action. We want it digitally remastered.

It could be FTD's biggest seller to date. They could include the poolside interview as a bonus, as long as Elvis
didn't ruin that with some off the cuff singing.

Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:03 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:I seriously do not understand everyone's compulsion with FTD.

Oh, really? :roll: How many have you purchased?

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:28 am

Jukebox wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:I seriously do not understand everyone's compulsion with FTD.

It's not the amount that's important.
I collect Elvis Presley audio and video.
It doesn't matter where or what format.
I have collected boots, RCA, imports, FTD, Pickwick, Readers digest, DVD, VCD, blu ray, 8 track, .....

Hell, I don't even care if I find a rare hayride track on a wire.

I collect rare Elvis.

Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:02 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Jukebox wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Jukebox wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Jukebox wrote:

Look, you are one implying that having binaural tapes scattered over 6 releases is not excessive, and yet you are way short on that amount, because you can't even think beyond FTD releases.

They should be on ....let me see.....wait a tick....I think I have it now......ONE Release. Not scattered over a dozen or more releases.
Same with the home recordings.

John

Postby John » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:46 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Jukebox wrote:

Look, you are one implying that having binaural tapes scattered over 6 releases is not excessive, and yet you are way short on that amount, because you can't even think beyond FTD releases.

They should be on ....let me see.....wait a tick....I think I have it now......ONE Release. Not scattered over a dozen or more releases.
Same with the home recordings.

I'm sure the ideal for all of us is if a particular theme is restricted to one release, and that includes not only binaural and home recordings, but also movie soundtracks and live material. However, it hasn't happened, it's unlikely to happen, and so we just have to drop our OCD attitude to it, because there's nothing we can do about it. You could burn your own CDRs, you could create folders on your iPod or whatever it is that you use for playing your music, or you could set up folders on your PC in order to satisfy your OCD, and leave it at that. Seriously, who gives a toss?

Return to “Everything Elvis”