It was 61 years ago today

All the Elvis you can take

Mojo Filter

Re: It was 61 years ago today

Postby Mojo Filter » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:52 am

Colin B wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:Is there any pictures from the recorded segment of the session?
The photographer took off after Johnny cash took off is that correct?...

I posted earlier that all the known photos are here:

- All of the photos of the Million Dollar Quartet

I've always wondered if there were more photos taken that day then the known dozen or so. I'm sure he may have been there long enough to take more than we've seen.

Robert Johnson who wrote the article about the session in the "Memphis Press Scimitar" the next day always claimed that he took the photos. However, the original article credits George Pierce as the photographer - I'm surprised no researcher picked up on this. When Trevor Cajiao met Robert Johnson he was never able to come up with any prints or the original negs from his archives which says a lot.

Sadly, George Pierce is no longer with us. Would it be a good idea to contact his estate? Even if there isn't anymore new ones the original negs would produce them in excellent quality.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:38 am

Mojo Filter wrote:...the original article credits George Pierce as the photographer...
Sadly, George Pierce is no longer with us.
Would it be a good idea to contact his estate?
Even if there isn't anymore new ones the original negs would produce them in excellent quality.

Sounds like a good idea.

Wouldn't have a clue how to do that, though...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:14 am

Colin B wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:...the original article credits George Pierce as the photographer...
Sadly, George Pierce is no longer with us.
Would it be a good idea to contact his estate?
Even if there isn't anymore new ones the original negs would produce them in excellent quality.

Sounds like a good idea.

Wouldn't have a clue how to do that, though...

I suppose, the best place to start would be the "Press Scimitar". They would have a list of all previous employers. I'm sure they have their own archives. Maybe someone could contact them.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Return to “Everything Elvis”