Ed Leek - 'My Happiness' Acetate

All the Elvis you can take

cadillac-elvis

Re: Ed Leek - 'My Happiness' Acetate

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Indeed, Elvis talks at some length about the first acetate at the very beginning of Robert Carlton Brown's interview. in March 1956.

Among other things, Elvis says that "we still got the record at home".

Carlton (3).jpg

Thanks for posting that mr. moon. That is the one interview that does state several things.

He still had it.
It wasn't stated as for a birthday gift.
As memories go, Elvis never seemed to mention the second disc.
Or was he conflating memories of the second disc and first disc?
He states he had saturday and sunday off.
But wasn't it told that he came in on his lunch hour which means he was working on saturday.

Again, why wasn't the second disc ever referenced?
If it was, it was as if it were the first disc. As if he only made one record.
Not once does Elvis ever hint that he made more than one disc. weird.

Graeme
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Graeme » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:40 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Graeme wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:And Graeme, don't confuse, "birthday gift" with, just "gift".

Never have, never will. I wrote years ago on the TMMB site the trans from an Elvis interview in 56 where he was asked specifically if it was a birthday present and Elvis says it wasn't a birthday present.

Now, a 20th wedding anniversary present is something else.

Awefully late birthday gift I would say.
As you know, some reporters would lead Elvis in questions, and he would just agree sometimes.

I can't recall which interview you are siting here.

I think you're reading the opposite of what I've written.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Graeme wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Graeme wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:And Graeme, don't confuse, "birthday gift" with, just "gift".

Never have, never will. I wrote years ago on the TMMB site the trans from an Elvis interview in 56 where he was asked specifically if it was a birthday present and Elvis says it wasn't a birthday present.

Now, a 20th wedding anniversary present is something else.

Awefully late birthday gift I would say.
As you know, some reporters would lead Elvis in questions, and he would just agree sometimes.

I can't recall which interview you are siting here.

I think you're reading the opposite of what I've written.

yes, I may have. sorry about that.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:Or was he conflating memories of the second disc and first disc?

I'm afraid this must have been the case. He really did not need to go into so much detail, anyway. I'm 100% sure he recalled having cut more than one personal disc.

The Robert Johnson article for "Elvis Presley Speaks !", published later in 1956, refers clearly to the later (second or third) acetate.

Here's your recent post on this article, and the subsequent posts, for those who may have missed it all :

Elvis--Marion--And Sam--The start of it all
http://www.theelvisforum-phoenix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6450

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Here is that magazine interview from 1956.
Bare in mine this is a few months later than the March interview in NY.
It references his new home which was the Audubon drive house.
So, it states that his parents are listening to the record.

Ok, so.......by 1956 he had bought cadillacs, guitars, and new home....so surely by then he could afford a record player, since
his parents are now listening to the record.
So, why would Ed Leek have it?
He stated that shortly after recording it, he brought it over and left it there....so we are talking what....mid 1953?

See the holes in Ed's story?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:Or was he conflating memories of the second disc and first disc?

I'm afraid this must have been the case. He really did not need to go into so much detail, anyway. I'm 100% sure he recalled having cut more than one personal disc.

The Robert Johnson article for "Elvis Presley Speaks !", published later in 1956, refers clearly to the later (second or third) acetate.

Here's your recent post on this article, and the subsequent posts, for those who may have missed it all :

But, I don't it clearly refers to any particular acetate. It could have been any of the one , two, or three?

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:05 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

But, I don't it clearly refers to any particular acetate. It could have been any of the one , two, or three?

In that article (it's posted in more detail in the above link) Johnson mentions by name the songs of the first acetate and those of the later one as well.

But the one they are listening to while the interview was being made was not the first one, but the other. There's another article from 1956 where Gladys says they still have it, and explains it is in very bad condition.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

In that article (it's posted in more detail in the above link) Johnson mentions by name the songs of the first acetate and those of the later one as well.

But the one they are listening to while the interview was being made was not the first one, but the other. There's another article from 1956 where Gladys says they still have it, and explains it is in very bad condition.

I think you are making an assumption.

yes song titles are mentioned but not in the context of what exactly is playing while they are talking.

If anything, the context seems to me to mean the first one. but I don't know.

but, it's one of the 3. ;)

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:21 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

yes song titles are mentioned but not in the context of what exactly is playing while they are talking.

I should look for the other article in my files and post it here, so you can see what I mean.

It's not like they had two acetates at home, from that report. They only had the later one. It is mentioned by name there as well.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

I should look for the other article in my files and post it here, so you can see what I mean.

It's not like they had two acetates at home, from that report. They only had the later one. It is mentioned by name there as well.

From what I can tell, it is impossible to tell how many acetates or records where there.
And we don't how many they played during the visit.
One at a time I assume.
So, I gather you believe the Ed Leek story?

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

From what I can tell, it is impossible to tell how many acetates or records where there.
And we don't how many they played during the visit.
One at a time I assume.
So, I gather you believe the Ed Leek story?

The other article is more explicit. They did not have the first acetate in 1956.

I don't recall exactly what Leek stated.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Mr. moon I would love to see that article.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:Mr. moon I would love to see that article.

I will look for it.

Right now, I must go to sleep. ;)

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:12 am

Mister Moon wrote:Indeed, Elvis talks at some length about the first acetate at the very beginning of Robert Carlton Brown's interview. in March 1956.

Among other things, Elvis says that "we still got the record at home".

Carlton (3).jpg

Thanks for posting, Mister Moon. This is the interview I was thinking of earlier when I mentioned it in my post.

After reading all the comments after my last post, it's all quite interesting, but also confusing. We'll probably never get the full facts.

As you said earlier, Elvis didn't need to go into absolute detail about this, that or the other. And reporters are not particularly educated when asking such questions, but then they didn't need to, they just needed answers to their questions. Let's face it, most of their questions were pretty idiotic. More interested in his cars, women, what he eats etc. Its still the same procedure today with reporters and celebrities.

No one ever thought back then to ask such details that we would like to hear today, but then why should they. If they did then none of us would be here today discussing and the excitement of looking for new info.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:35 pm

It's probably worth throwing this into the topic, from Record Collector magazine a couple or three years ago.
rec_collector_ed_leek.jpg

Return to “Everything Elvis”