Postby HD_RES » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
Suspicious Minds wrote:
HD_RES wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:--

Have you forgotten this topic? :)

We want more, we want more. :-)

Hi,
When time permits, I will post the final three tracks together.
Need to redo "Solitaire".

:D

WalterHaleJnr

Re: From E.P. Boulevard pseudo remixes

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:41 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:An appreciable surge in audio quality next, with what was described on the Moody Blue FTD as an "unedited rough mix of master" of "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain", thankfully devoid of that excessive delay effect that nigh-on ruins the original recording [though sadly resurrected via OTT slap-back echo for the equally disastrous Way Down In The Jungle Room release].

For some reason, the MB FTD version [which in all honesty actually sounds like a new mix as opposed to being an unused vintage one] had Hurshel Wiginton's overdubbed rasping bass work [on the coda] almost muted, so this has been restored back into the mix with the help of a vocal isolation piece lifted from the original album master.

Note: the kick drum intro was ever so slightly clipped on the original FEPBMT album mix.

http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/UBXhgq0y/file.html

thanks. Much better now. Say can you work on, when you able to, next combining audience and soundboard recordings on the Vegas concert closing night 3 September 1973. I tried it once (on 'My Boy') but found the speeds would drift apart. The audience tapes added atmosphere to flat sounded soundboards.

Topic author
elvisalisellers

Postby elvisalisellers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:17 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:An appreciable surge in audio quality next, with what was described on the Moody Blue FTD as an "unedited rough mix of master" of "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain", thankfully devoid of that excessive delay effect that nigh-on ruins the original recording [though sadly resurrected via OTT slap-back echo for the equally disastrous Way Down In The Jungle Room release].

For some reason, the MB FTD version [which in all honesty actually sounds like a new mix as opposed to being an unused vintage one] had Hurshel Wiginton's overdubbed rasping bass work [on the coda] almost muted, so this has been restored back into the mix with the help of a vocal isolation piece lifted from the original album master.

Note: the kick drum intro was ever so slightly clipped on the original FEPBMT album mix.

http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/UBXhgq0y/file.html

thanks. Much better now. Say can you work on, when you able to, next combining audience and soundboard recordings on the Vegas concert closing night 3 September 1973. I tried it once (on 'My Boy') but found the speeds would drift apart. The audience tapes added atmosphere to flat sounded soundboards.

Funny you should mention that, Rob, as I was considering attempting a few matrix samples [not whole shows] in the future.
Although, to be honest, I'm not the most avid fan of live concert recordings [of any artist/group], much preferring the creativeness of the recording studio.

HD_RES

Postby HD_RES » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:20 pm

elvisalisellers
Would be nice if you could do something similar with the Moody Blue album.

Topic author
elvisalisellers

Postby elvisalisellers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:35 pm

The penultimate track, "Love Coming Down", employs a very rare undubbed version that appeared on the bonus CD that came with the unofficial Live Live Live: Volume 2 DVD package back in 2011, which exhibits much superior clarity in comparison with the stripped-down take that was shunned for the discarded third volume in the Our Memories of Elvis series.

Where once previously cluttered and brittle sounding, now allied with a tasteful and tempered sync of the OOP album master underneath, it's gratifying to eventually hear it in a better defined, warm, acoustic-based mix.

http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/xRUSLjdm/file.html

Topic author
elvisalisellers

Postby elvisalisellers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:35 pm

The closing track, "I'll Never Fall In Love Again", benefits from using the stripped-down version found on the initial volume of Our Memories of Elvis [here, disassembled into two separate tracks to allow for levels to be adjusted further] - one of the few mixes in the series that actually kept the backing vocals intact.

Rather than using the regular out-of-phase album master to underpin the now subdued strings, I opted to use the rough mix found on the FEPBMT FTD which offered noticeably superior resolution [if being a little noisy], but moreover, was thankfully devoid of the dated delay effect used excessively throughout the album, that would have caused leakage merged with the OMOE vocal track.

The end result being a much more open, immediate and dynamic sound, even if the performance as a whole possibly didn't warrant it.

http://www53.zippyshare.com/v/TMcMd7dq/file.html

Topic author
elvisalisellers

Postby elvisalisellers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:36 pm

I will return to "Solitaire" asap.

Topic author
elvisalisellers

Postby elvisalisellers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:47 pm

HD_RES wrote:elvisalisellers

Maybe, but so few overdubs were recorded for some of these tracks, that the difference wouldn't be that noticeable.

Plus, the live recordings in their undubbed form are not in the best shape [to merge], and couldn't really compete [sonically] with the rather good sounding live album masters.

HD_RES

Postby HD_RES » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:25 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:

Maybe, but so few overdubs were recorded for some of these tracks, that the difference wouldn't be that noticeable.

Plus, the live recordings in their undubbed form are not in the best shape [to merge], and couldn't really compete [sonically] with the rather good sounding live album masters.

ok :)

elvisalisellers wrote:I will return to "Solitaire" asap.

thanks and also thank you for the other 2 tracks just uploaded :)
BTW what was wrong with first "Solitaire" upload since you want to redone that one?

Topic author
elvisalisellers

Postby elvisalisellers » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:10 pm

HD_RES wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

BTW what was wrong with first "Solitaire" upload since you want to redone that one?

"Solitaire" requires a few adjustments [mainly levels].
There was something like 20+ edits on that one in order to replicate the album master.

Suspicious Minds

Postby Suspicious Minds » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:35 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
HD_RES wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

There was something like 20+ edits on that one in order to replicate the album master.

:o
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

HD_RES

Postby HD_RES » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:58 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
HD_RES wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

ok.
20+ edits ...thats a lot :)

Topic author
elvisalisellers

Postby elvisalisellers » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Both extant sources of "Solitaire" [album master and stripped-down version] required a great deal of work on them as they revealed severe audio limitations.

And whilst far from perfect, this "remix" [incorporating six separate tracks] manages to "open" the recording up [where previously everything but the kitchen sink was thrown at it] allowing instruments to breathe, in particular those lovely french horn, trumpet and harpsichord passages, "flown" back into the mix with the aid of a noise gate on the redundant [already active] mix centre components.

Note: a lamentable remix of "Solitaire" can be found once again on the 1985 RCA album, Always On My Mind.

So that's this project wrapped up.
I hope it's been of some interest and perhaps made you re-evaluate this album hearing it in this guise.

http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/nXBNu0Lt/file.html

HD_RES

Postby HD_RES » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:19 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:So that's this project wrapped up.
I hope it's been of some interest and perhaps made you re-evaluate this album hearing it in this guise.

thanks,appriciated your work&upload.

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:43 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Both extant sources of "Solitaire" [album master and stripped-down version] required a great deal of work on them as they revealed severe audio limitations.

And whilst far from perfect, this "remix" [incorporating six separate tracks] manages to "open" the recording up [where previously everything but the kitchen sink was thrown at it] allowing instruments to breathe, in particular those lovely french horn, trumpet and harpsichord passages, "flown" back into the mix with the aid of a noise gate on the redundant [already active] mix centre components.

Note: a lamentable remix of "Solitaire" can be found once again on the 1985 RCA album, Always On My Mind.

So that's this project wrapped up.

http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/nXBNu0Lt/file.html

Good one mate. Hey can you combine some of the other undubbed tracks like 'Find out what's happening' from Our Memories of Elvis with their masters along the same lines?

Return to “Everything Elvis”