Re: New FTD: Blue Hawaii Sessions

Postby alberta sheffield » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:27 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
alberta sheffield wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
alberta sheffield wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:once again the problem would be solved if they eliminated the masters, of which we have had released hundreds of times already.
To include the masters on every single release is a bit OCD. Not needed for us collectors.
We already have the masters. since 1961 actually.

or, stretch to a fifth CD.

We all have the masters. We've had them since 1961. Please note this is a collectors label and

masters should have never been considered for FTD since day one.

I disagree strongly.
Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten a lot of masters in upgrades sound (if they would had used only outtakes on Ftd.
For instance, the his hand in mine and how great thou art FTD's are major upgrades on the masters compared what was released before).

I strongly disagree.

Upgrades in sound are only minor, very minor, and barely noticable. It's all hype.

We have gotten the masters a millions times.

I am sure those upgrades were on the 60 CD set.

Keep the masters on the main label.

Not just hype.
The masters of His hand in mine, how great thou art, pot luck and many more ( not all, of course) were a very noticeable upgrade in sound quality compared what was released before. I did not bought the 60 Cd set.
(Besides, most classical albums with upgraded masters on FTD were released years before the 60 cd set. So that argument " masters never belong to Ftd" doesn't fly. )
If you can't hear the difference I can't help you.
I don't fall for hype.
I trust my ears.

Ok, I have a more specific question for you.

concerning, "how great thou art", "his hand in mine", "Elvis is back", "Fun in acapulco", and "Something for everybody"......

Do the masters appear to have been "upgraded" for the FTD complete sessions sets as compared to the regular 1 or 2 disc FTD sets
that came out first?

I wasn't comparing the regular FTD s to the later session sets.
I agree that there is only minor difference.

I took note of your comment that masters shouldn't be on FTD at all since it is a collectors label.
So I meant that when masters came out on FTD in some instances there were huge upgrades compared what was released before on the main label.
That was my point.

alberta sheffield

Postby alberta sheffield » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:28 pm

On a side note: can somebody post a picture or 2 of the BH set? (Besides that official flyer photo.)
Does it contain a booklet?
I haven't seen so far anything concerning this,

HillbillyCat

Postby HillbillyCat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:33 pm

alberta sheffield wrote:On a side note: can somebody post a picture or 2 of the BH set? (Besides that official flyer photo.)
Does it contain a booklet?
I haven't seen so far anything concerning this,

https://webshop.elvismatters.com/en/elv ... d-set.html
It contains a 24-page booklet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R62QAgX0doY

alberta sheffield

Postby alberta sheffield » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:37 pm

Thank you very much.

alberta sheffield

Postby alberta sheffield » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:43 pm

Is there a noticeable sound upgrade compared to the 2 CD Ftd set from years ago?

Nigel77

Postby Nigel77 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:08 am

Piers has written a comprehensive review of the set on EIN: https://www.elvisinfonet.com/ftd_review_ELVIS-PRESLEY-The-Blue-Hawaii-Sessions.html

Tulsa Mclean

Postby Tulsa Mclean » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:58 pm

John wrote:
Tulsa Mclean wrote:Well by this time, almost everybody their orders, must have already their new set Blue Hawaii sessions. I´m right thinking that the first 10 takes or so are not taken from the original RCA tapes, after take 14 or 15 the sound is so much better than the first takes.... :roll:.

Are you talking about Can't Help Falling In Love?

RCA/Sony/FTD do not have the tape containing the first 12 takes. These have been taken from bootlegs.

https://www.keithflynn.com/recording-se ... 23.html#05

Yes, it was regarding "Can´t Help Falling In Love". What a dissapointment, the difference in audio quality between the first 13 takes and rest is huge. I thought that after all these years, FTD had found the original tapes for this song, but I was wrong. At least they should have made a statement, telling that they didn´t used the original tapes for this song on the first takes.... :roll:.
Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:16 pm

Tulsa Mclean wrote:
John wrote:
Tulsa Mclean wrote:Well by this time, almost everybody their orders, must have already their new set Blue Hawaii sessions. I´m right thinking that the first 10 takes or so are not taken from the original RCA tapes, after take 14 or 15 the sound is so much better than the first takes.... :roll:.

RCA/Sony/FTD do not have the tape containing the first 12 takes. These have been taken from bootlegs.

Yes, it was regarding "Can´t Help Falling In Love". What a dissapointment, the difference in audio quality between the first 13 takes and rest is huge. I thought that after all these years, FTD had found the original tapes for this song, but I was wrong. At least they should have made a statement, telling that they didn´t used the original tapes for this song on the first takes.... :roll:.

So, does that mean the bootlegger had the tape? Is the bootleg better quality on those early takes?

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:00 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Tulsa Mclean wrote:
John wrote:

So, does that mean the bootlegger had the tape? Is the bootleg better quality on those early takes?

Yes, better quality and including dialogue not on the FTD releases .
Nolan is here, with the truth!

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:06 pm

Nolan Truth wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Tulsa Mclean wrote:
John wrote:

Really? So, who is running the show at FTD? For the money we pay, it should be complete and in pristine sound.
I have been skeptical of "upgrades" for decades now.

Tulsa Mclean

Postby Tulsa Mclean » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:21 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Tulsa Mclean wrote:
John wrote:

Really? So, who is running the show at FTD? For the money we pay, it should be complete and in pristine sound.

As far as I know, the bootleggers mixed the dialogue from the mono tapes into the stereo tapes they had of this song....
Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

John

Postby John » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:29 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Tulsa Mclean wrote:
John wrote:

Ideally it should be complete, but if they don't have the tape, what can they do?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:46 am

John wrote:Ideally it should be complete, but if they don't have the tape, what can they do?

They could have used the better takes on the 'unofficial' release, couldn't they ?

Legally & morally, they belong to them don't they ?
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:52 am

Colin B wrote:Legally & morally, they belong to them don't they ?

No.
Nolan is here, with the truth!

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:23 am

Colin B wrote:Legally & morally, they belong to them don't they ?
Nolan Truth wrote:No.

Well, if RCA/Sony or whoever paid for the original studio session, but the tapes have been illegally acquired by the bootlegger, surely legal ownership of the recordings remains with them ?

If not, aren't they in the public domain by now ?
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Return to “Everything Elvis”