'ELVIS: Aloha Through The Eyes of Japan' Interview and preview

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
PiersEIN

'ELVIS: Aloha Through The Eyes of Japan' Interview and preview

Postby PiersEIN » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:17 am

The new book 'ELVIS: Aloha Through The Eyes of Japan' to me looks to be an essential purchase.
I have nothing to do with the book - or selling it - but a lot of EIN readers have been very interested.

So EIN has now posted an interview with author David Ward about the book.
It also includes some fabulous preview pages.

Go here >>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/Interview-David-Ward-Aloha-Through-The-Eyes-of-Japan.html

DON'T MISS OUT as it is a limited print run.

Pre-order before November 20 - next Monday and get a neat set of extra postcard prints.

Now available for pre-order through some local Elvis dealers:
The Elvis Shop London, Flaming Star Norway, Elvis-Presley-Gesellschaft, 'Elvis 4 Sale', Elvis: The Man And His Music, Elvis Presley Society (Belgium), Elvis Australia, Memphis Mansion.

My copy was pre-ordered ages ago and it's worth noting that postage direct from Japan to Australia was way cheaper than when I order similar books from Europe.

Cheers,
Piers

Yin Yang

Re: 'ELVIS: Aloha Through The Eyes of Japan' Interview and preview

Postby Yin Yang » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:49 am

European postage rates have gone through the roof.
They also skipped the various rates for various countries.
You now have the choice for The Netherlands or outside The Netherlands.
If it is for a non-EU country you also have to specify contents and it's value. Receiver has to pay import duties.

AndresVanKujik

Postby AndresVanKujik » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:18 am

A long time ago I have an amazing copy of Aloha from Japanese TV on VHS. They really went all out, there was so much happening before it. I wish it had subtitles and the additional intro to the show should have been included on the deluxe dvd set. They really loved that guy over there.
"Man, I just work here..."

Topic author
PiersEIN

Postby PiersEIN » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:53 am

AndresVanKujik wrote:A long time ago I have an amazing copy of Aloha from Japanese TV on VHS. They really went all out, there was so much happening before it. I wish it had subtitles and the additional intro to the show should have been included on the deluxe dvd set. They really loved that guy over there.

I do remember hearing that there were some different camera shots for the Japan version - but I am amazed that the producer was in Hawaii.
It basically means they paid for a second Satellite transponder purely for their TV feed.
THAT is not cheap, even nowadays.

I'm really looking forward to the book

Cheers
Piers

AndresVanKujik

Postby AndresVanKujik » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:32 am

PiersEIN wrote:
AndresVanKujik wrote:A long time ago I have an amazing copy of Aloha from Japanese TV on VHS. They really went all out, there was so much happening before it. I wish it had subtitles and the additional intro to the show should have been included on the deluxe dvd set. They really loved that guy over there.

I do remember hearing that there were some different camera shots for the Japan version - but I am amazed that the producer was in Hawaii.
It basically means they paid for a second Satellite transponder purely for their TV feed.
THAT is not cheap, even nowadays.

I'm really looking forward to the book

Cheers
Piers

Yes several of those alternate angles ended up on early VHS releases, particularly the Mountain video releases, mostly additional shots of the audience and you get a better example of just how vast the auditorium was. There was also footage of Elvis' dressing room (though not with Elvis) and the band setting up before hand and warming up. I lost my copy years ago in a move and never found a decent one since.

Topic author
PiersEIN

Postby PiersEIN » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:49 am

AndresVanKujik wrote:Yes several of those alternate angles ended up on early VHS releases, particularly the Mountain video releases, mostly additional shots of the audience and you get a better example of just how vast the auditorium was. There was also footage of Elvis' dressing room (though not with Elvis) and the band setting up before hand and warming up. I lost my copy years ago in a move and never found a decent one since.

That would be great to see in good-quality.

Phoenix fans, don't forget the preorder cut-off date for the postcard freebies is this Monday Nov 20.

Cheers
Piers

AndresVanKujik

Postby AndresVanKujik » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:44 pm

PiersEIN wrote:
AndresVanKujik wrote:Yes several of those alternate angles ended up on early VHS releases, particularly the Mountain video releases, mostly additional shots of the audience and you get a better example of just how vast the auditorium was. There was also footage of Elvis' dressing room (though not with Elvis) and the band setting up before hand and warming up. I lost my copy years ago in a move and never found a decent one since.

That would be great to see in good-quality.

Phoenix fans, don't forget the preorder cut-off date for the postcard freebies is this Monday Nov 20.

Cheers
Piers

If I had it still I'd gladly share it. It got lost a long time ago

Topic author
PiersEIN

Postby PiersEIN » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:27 am

The book 'ELVIS: Aloha Through The Eyes of Japan' arrived in Australia this week.
and It truly got me hooked.
Listening to Elvis in concert November 1972 and also Aloha while cruising through the photos was a real joy...

.. While this is obviously a photo book it is much more than that and if you read all the matching text it actually feels like a very personal journey. Unusually this is a book not filled with the normal newspaper articles and reviews of the concerts, this book is actually about how the Japanese team witnessed some of Elvis' greatest performances and became a crucial part in Elvis' most famous live broadcast.

Looking through the photographs first, upon checking my volume of ‘Elvis Files 1971-1973’ I was surprised that Elvis’ three November 1972 performances are only covered with a few candid, usually distant, photographs. Here we get around fifty images from each concert.

In ‘Elvis A Life in Music’ Ernst Jorgensen wrote “By the end of 1972 Elvis was definitely overweight” and I also remember that Marty Pasetta asked Elvis to lose weight for his Aloha concerts. So it is a surprise that these photographs actually show Elvis looking taught and terrific. In fact several of the images from his November 17 concert could easily be mistaken for his iconic Aloha performance!

Full EIN review here http://www.elvisinfonet.com/Book-Review-Elvis-Aloha-From-Hawaii-Through-The-Eyes-of-Japan.html
Get it before it sells out ..

Hopefully they might do a reprint for those that missed out.
Compared to other big photo-books the price is good value-for-money.

Cheers
Piers

Nigel77

Postby Nigel77 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:33 am

Yin Yang wrote:European postage rates have gone through the roof.
If it is for a non-EU country you also have to specify contents and it's value. Receiver has to pay import duties.

I wanted to buy an Elvis related comic book on ebay but the postage from Europe to Australia was FIVE times the price of the comic!

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:19 am

Nigel77 wrote:
Yin Yang wrote:European postage rates have gone through the roof.

I wanted to buy an Elvis related comic book on ebay but the postage from Europe to Australia was FIVE times the price of the comic!

That is why I stopped buying from outside the EU.

Return to “Everything Elvis”