FTD's 25th Anniversary in 2024

All the Elvis you can take

alberta sheffield

Re: FTD's 25th Anniversary in 2024

Postby alberta sheffield » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:26 pm

John Coctostan wrote:
alberta sheffield wrote:EIC seems to be the auto reply for a lot of fans.
Sadly.

Just keep EIC under wraps forever, FTD.
Please.

Have you heard the Hampton Roads 1976 FTD?

Let me be more specific: almost all concerts from 1976 or 1977 should be kept under wraps in my opinion.
It always baffles me that the fans of Elvis want often mostly him at his worst years.
Do Sinatra fans also rave and craving for his last concerts while he was not in his best shape.
Or fans of Amy Winehouse getting excited about her last concerts while she was barely able to stand up on the stage and was incoherent?
Or even celebrating those last concerts of her?
Don't think so.

alberta sheffield

Postby alberta sheffield » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:31 pm

bluehawaii wrote:Anything is possible at this point:

- Cisco teased something 'out of this world' a few years ago on the other forum. .

What Ciscokid consider "out of this world" might be suited what he feels....a special concert from 1976 or 1977 or 1975. That is what gets him excited.
I don't think he talks about Memphis 1961 or the lost outtakes from several 50s sessions.

John Coctostan

Postby John Coctostan » Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:19 pm

alberta sheffield wrote:Do Sinatra fans also rave and craving for his last concerts while he was not in his best shape.
Or fans of Amy Winehouse getting excited about her last concerts while she was barely able to stand up on the stage and was incoherent?

I'm not sure, are their labels also running out of unreleased material?
Do these artists have a label that facilitates the release of recordings not aimed at the mass market?

I understand that not everyone may connect with all of Elvis work, especially during the later years of his career. His musical style and personal life underwent various changes over time, and some people may have different preferences for certain periods of his discography. However, many fans and music historians appreciate the unique challenges and personal struggles that influenced his music during those later years. Despite the challenges he faced, Elvis continued to perform and record, leaving behind a diverse and extensive musical legacy that has resonated with millions of people around the world. While his later recordings may not be everyone's favourite, they still hold significance within the broader context of his remarkable career.

Many fans and music enthusiasts may still find value in the historical and personal context surrounding these concert recordings, even if they are not considered the artist's most acclaimed work.

John

Postby John » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:35 am

John Coctostan wrote:
alberta sheffield wrote:Do Sinatra fans also rave and craving for his last concerts while he was not in his best shape.

I'm not sure, are their labels also running out of unreleased material?
Do these artists have a label that facilitates the release of recordings not aimed at the mass market?

I understand that not everyone may connect with all of Elvis work, especially during the later years of his career. His musical style and personal life underwent various changes over time, and some people may have different preferences for certain periods of his discography. However, many fans and music historians appreciate the unique challenges and personal struggles that influenced his music during those later years. Despite the challenges he faced, Elvis continued to perform and record, leaving behind a diverse and extensive musical legacy that has resonated with millions of people around the world. While his later recordings may not be everyone's favourite, they still hold significance within the broader context of his remarkable career.

Many fans and music enthusiasts may still find value in the historical and personal context surrounding these concert recordings, even if they are not considered the artist's most acclaimed work.

I just wonder how different his output of studio recorded material would have been had he had a decent, tougher producer and a good arranger?

Would someone have got a meaty R&B or blues album out of him? He was headed that way with the Stax sessions, but sadly Elvis was in charge, and Felton didn't have the balls to produce him properly.

In addition, Elvis was always a covers artist, and the whole publishing fiasco stopped him from receiving the very best original songs that went to other artists.

If he was going to remain a covers artist, there were so many better songs by singer songwriters that he could have covered. More from Paul Simon, Neil Diamond, Gordon Lightfoot, Kris Kristofferson for a start.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:08 am

John wrote:I just wonder how different his output of studio recorded material would have been had he had a decent, tougher producer and a good arranger?

Yes !"

After his military service, he did the superb 'Elvis is Back' sessions in which he proved beyond doubt that he could tackle & master many different musical styles from blues, near-jazz, rock & pop.

But then we got 'Pot Luck' & 'Something For Everybody' which saw him move to more non-demanding 'middle-of-the-road' stuff.

His films then required him go through a very non-creative phase.

His very best post-army work was with the tough & demanding producer Chips Moman
who drew some of the best from performances from him.

As John has suggested, he should have done more work with a good producer...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:30 am

I'm sure Phil Spector would have been more than delighted to produce Elvis, but I can't see him at all amongst all the professional and personal Elvis entourage.

John

Postby John » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:48 am

Mister Moon wrote:I'm sure Phil Spector would have been more than delighted to produce Elvis, but I can't see him at all amongst all the professional and personal Elvis entourage.

Spector would have been a nightmare. Imagine he gets his gun out, Elvis gets his out, bloody disaster. Ger could have done a great cartoon for this.

How about Jerry Wexler?

T Bone Burnett.Was he around?

Roy Halee, Paul Simon's producer?

Brian Wilson. I think that would have been hard going.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:00 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:I'm sure Phil Spector would have been more than delighted to produce Elvis, but I can't see him at all amongst all the professional and personal Elvis entourage.

Spector would have been a nightmare. Imagine he gets his gun out, Elvis gets his out, bloody disaster. Ger could have done a great cartoon for this.

Ha ha. That made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

How about Jerry Wexler?

Wexler would have been great too, but he would have lasted five minutes too, amongst all those people.

T Bone Burnett.Was he around?

Roy Halee, Paul Simon's producer?

Brian Wilson. I think that would have been hard going.

Another disaster.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:43 pm

Maybe Elvis should have hired Sam Phillips to come in for old times sake, and produce a session for him.

I wonder if Sam would have come out of semi-retirement to do that for Elvis.

John

Postby John » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:30 pm

alberta sheffield wrote:
John Coctostan wrote:
alberta sheffield wrote:EIC seems to be the auto reply for a lot of fans.
Sadly.

Just keep EIC under wraps forever, FTD.
Please.

Have you heard the Hampton Roads 1976 FTD?

Let me be more specific: almost all concerts from 1976 or 1977 should be kept under wraps in my opinion.
It always baffles me that the fans of Elvis want often mostly him at his worst years.
Do Sinatra fans also rave and craving for his last concerts while he was not in his best shape.
Probably.
Probably.
Don't think so.

As I've always said, opinions are meaningless.

John Coctostan

Postby John Coctostan » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:36 am

John wrote:I just wonder how different his output of studio recorded material would have been had he had a decent, tougher producer and a good arranger?

Would someone have got a meaty R&B or blues album out of him? He was headed that way with the Stax sessions, but sadly Elvis was in charge, and Felton didn't have the balls to produce him properly.

I agree, Feltone wasn't great for Elvis.....I would have liked Jeff Lynne to produce an album for him.

As for the material he was inclined to record at the time, ie. maudlin ballads, I have no problem with that....when you aren't a song writer, all you have to lean on is your interpretation of the material and given Elvis' state of mind at the time, then this kind of material is what he is going to interpret best.

I'm not sure why so many fans think he needed to always get 'back to rock and roll'.

Elvis Presley's musical evolution reflects his artistic growth and his willingness to explore different genres and themes beyond the confines of his early rock and roll hits. As an iconic figure in the history of popular music, Elvis's transition towards more adult-oriented songs was a natural progression that showcased his versatility as a performer and his ability to connect with a broader audience.

While his early career was defined by upbeat, youthful tunes, singing about teddy bears, blue suede shoes & buttercups, Elvis's shift towards more mature and introspective material allowed him to delve into a deeper range of emotions and experiences. This transition not only demonstrated his musical maturity but also highlighted his desire to engage with a more diverse and sophisticated repertoire.

By embracing a more diverse musical landscape, Elvis was able to demonstrate his vocal prowess and emotional depth, solidifying his status as a multifaceted artist capable of interpreting a wide array of musical styles and narratives. His exploration of adult-oriented themes enabled him to connect with listeners on a deeper and more meaningful level, touching upon universal experiences such as love, heartache, and introspection.

Elvis's willingness to evolve and experiment with different musical genres was a testament to his artistic integrity and his desire to challenge himself creatively. This transition allowed him to leave an indelible mark on the music industry, influencing generations of artists and cementing his legacy as one of the most influential and enduring figures in popular culture.

In the broader context of his career, Elvis's shift towards more adult-oriented songs underscored his status as a pioneer who transcended the boundaries of traditional rock and roll, showcasing his ability to remain relevant and resonant with audiences of all ages and backgrounds. It emphasised his commitment to musical exploration and his unwavering dedication to pushing the boundaries of artistic expression.

John wrote:In addition, Elvis was always a covers artist, and the whole publishing fiasco stopped him from receiving the very best original songs that went to other artists.

If he was going to remain a covers artist, there were so many better songs by singer songwriters that he could have covered. More from Paul Simon, Neil Diamond, Gordon Lightfoot, Kris Kristofferson for a start.

Again, I agree.

John

Postby John » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:57 am

John Coctostan wrote:

I agree, Feltone wasn't great for Elvis.....I would have liked Jeff Lynne to produce an album for him.

As for the material he was inclined to record at the time, ie. maudlin ballads, I have no problem with that....when you aren't a song writer, all you have to lean on is your interpretation of the material and given Elvis' state of mind at the time, then this kind of material is what he is going to interpret best.

I'm not sure why so many fans think he needed to always get 'back to rock and roll'.

Elvis Presley's musical evolution reflects his artistic growth and his willingness to explore different genres and themes beyond the confines of his early rock and roll hits. As an iconic figure in the history of popular music, Elvis's transition towards more adult-oriented songs was a natural progression that showcased his versatility as a performer and his ability to connect with a broader audience.

While his early career was defined by upbeat, youthful tunes, singing about teddy bears, blue suede shoes & buttercups, Elvis's shift towards more mature and introspective material allowed him to delve into a deeper range of emotions and experiences. This transition not only demonstrated his musical maturity but also highlighted his desire to engage with a more diverse and sophisticated repertoire.

By embracing a more diverse musical landscape, Elvis was able to demonstrate his vocal prowess and emotional depth, solidifying his status as a multifaceted artist capable of interpreting a wide array of musical styles and narratives. His exploration of adult-oriented themes enabled him to connect with listeners on a deeper and more meaningful level, touching upon universal experiences such as love, heartache, and introspection.

Elvis's willingness to evolve and experiment with different musical genres was a testament to his artistic integrity and his desire to challenge himself creatively. This transition allowed him to leave an indelible mark on the music industry, influencing generations of artists and cementing his legacy as one of the most influential and enduring figures in popular culture.

In the broader context of his career, Elvis's shift towards more adult-oriented songs underscored his status as a pioneer who transcended the boundaries of traditional rock and roll, showcasing his ability to remain relevant and resonant with audiences of all ages and backgrounds. It emphasised his commitment to musical exploration and his unwavering dedication to pushing the boundaries of artistic expression.

John wrote:In addition, Elvis was always a covers artist, and the whole publishing fiasco stopped him from receiving the very best original songs that went to other artists.

Again, I agree.

I had considered mentioning Jeff Lynne given the wonderful work he did with the Wilburys, but obviously he was working with a couple of mates and a group, who knew each other, or of each other through each other How a one to one scenario would have worked, I don't know. It would have been interesting.

I'd also put forward Bernie Taupin as a songwriter, and Jimmy Webb.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:37 pm

Authoritative Producer:
"Right, Elvis. In these sessions we're going to record covers of Bob Dylan songs & nothing else !"

Elvis:
"Oh, that'll be great !"
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:19 pm

Colin B wrote:Authoritative Producer:
"Right, Elvis. In these sessions we're going to record covers of Bob Dylan songs & nothing else !"

Elvis:
"Oh, that'll be great !"

and then breaks into "Mother In Law" followed by some obscure gospel thing.

Felton pops in...."that's a gas". Charlie lets out a laugh.

tmydee

Postby tmydee » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:55 pm

Lots of great ideas here. I'm holding out hope that we can someday have all the LP quad mixes (and perhaps additional upgraded 5.1 versions along with them) released in a blu-ray set.

Return to “Everything Elvis”