When was "Tomorrow Night" revealed as a Sun recording?

All the Elvis you can take

Mojo Filter

Re: When was "Tomorrow Night" revealed as a Sun recording?

Postby Mojo Filter » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:30 am

colonel snow wrote:It's a pity the book is outdated when new information came to daylight many years later on.

The announcement of the release of the song "Uncle Pen" is based an article in magazine "New Musical Express" in the 60's; the only known version until now was performed in the second show on 30 june 1956, Richmond. I don't believe it was recorded at Sun studio in 1954-55.

colonel snow

And I doubt "Uncle Penn" was performed on that date in Richmond.

I've said this many times before. The rumours about certain songs Elvis performed during 54/55 all started when Hill and Range released their first Elvis song folio book in 1955, after they bought his contract. That book comprised all of Elvis' recordings up til that point, his Sun sides, and it included other songs that were in the H&R catalogue. It was just another way of them promoting their songs. Because these songs were in with a bunch of non Elvis songs over enthusiastic fans "assumed" in their "fantasys" that Elvis recorded them.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:01 am

Deleted due to doubts about the information

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:23 pm

colonel snow wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
colonel snow wrote:It's a pity the book is outdated when new information came to daylight many years later on.

The announcement of the release of the song "Uncle Pen" is based an article in magazine "New Musical Express" in the 60's; the only known version until now was performed in the second show on 30 june 1956, Richmond. I don't believe it was recorded at Sun studio in 1954-55.

colonel snow

And I doubt "Uncle Penn" was performed on that date in Richmond.

I've said this many times before. The rumours about certain songs Elvis performed during 54/55 all started when Hill and Range released their first Elvis song folio book in 1955, after they bought his contract. That book comprised all of Elvis' recordings up til that point, his Sun sides, and it included other songs that were in the H&R catalogue. It was just another way of them promoting their songs. Because these songs were in with a bunch of non Elvis songs over enthusiastic fans "assumed" in their "fantasys" that Elvis recorded them.

I completely agree with your opinion about added songtitles on the H & R songbook. I always had the same idea about that. It's promotion of the songbook. Besides the "other songs" are not connected with Elvis music publishing companies.

colonel snow

Yes, but "uncle Penn' isn't in that music book.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:44 pm

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:45 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:Yes, but "uncle Penn' isn't in that music book.

Uncle Pen [2].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:48 pm

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:52 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Everything Elvis”