FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

All the Elvis you can take

DarylR
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby DarylR » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:56 am

A few of my thoughts on the upcoming "Viva Las Vegas" 3 CD sessions set.

1. The set is not being billed as a "complete" sessions set. It would appear that they simply don't have all the vocal overdub takes of the movie version of "Today, Tomorrow And Forever." I believe the set only contains the vocal overdub take 10 - master and take 8. Takes 1 through 7 and take 9 of the vocal overdub to "Today, Tomorrow And Forever" as used in the film are excluded, either due to space constraints or that FTD didn't have access to the session tapes for the vocal overdub. Also missing are the outtakes for the two Ann-Margret solo numbers ("My Rival" and "Appreciation"). Several years ago, I suggested to Ernst that they should look into doing a set that included all the masters of Elvis' from the film along with the two Ann-Margret solo numbers. Both Ann-Margret solo numbers were once included in a box set by Bear Family; albeit the recordings were in mono and they were lifted directly from the film. However, "Appreciation" has previously appeared in stereo on a 1996 Rhino / Turner Classic Movies compilation CD titled "Bachelor In Paradise: Cocktail Classics From M-G-M Films."

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Bachelo ... se/4568775

2. I saw one of the discussions over on FECC regarding the upcoming "Viva Las Vegas" sessions set and I noticed that there was some debate as to whether the sets should be presented in chronological order they were recorded, despite the fact that it might be a tad tedious to present the songs in that order, as far as listening pleasure, especially on songs that simply don't hold up very well. I really don't see what the commotion is about regarding this debate. Looking at the track listings for each disc, there really only seems to be two issues; those would be track 18 on disc 1 which features takes 1 through 3 and then takes 5 and 4 of "Today, Tomorrow And Forever" and track 21 on disc 3 which features takes 13, 15 and then 14 of "You're The Boss." Outside of these anomalies of the takes being out of order, you pretty much can, if you so desire, to burn your own personal CD-R of the sessions in the order they were recorded. I would presume that the booklet that accompanies this set will have extensive recording session details to make it easy to do.

3. I really don't know how long a series such as this can go on, as far as the 3 CD sets and FTD. I think FTD would be better served by making these 3 CD sets more accessible via Sony Legacy rather than simply a collectors' label such as FTD. I realize these types of sets are aimed more for the more die-hard fan but, if I'm thinking correctly, isn't the packaging on these 3 CD sets, the same or very similar to the packaging found on the Sony Legacy releases of "A Boy From Tupelo" last year and the deluxe edition of the soundtrack to the HBO special, "Elvis Presley - The Searcher." I'm just saying that with the implementation of the 3 CD sets as they stand now with FTD, wouldn't now be a nice time to create a "mainstream bootleg series" similar to those done on Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash? This would likely result in a lower price point as they would be more easily accessible. Which brings me to my next point. Do you really think the HBO Special was aimed at the die-hard fans? Me personally, I think it was to some extent, as far as the usage of rare footage, session outtakes, etc. But I think the presentation of the show was ultimately to bring in new fans, young and old, that may have overlooked Elvis or didn't want to give him the recognition he rightly deserves. I think part of that strategy was trying to right the misconception that Elvis stole from African-American rhythm & blues artists.
Go FECC yourself!

User avatar

KEV
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:47 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 134 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby KEV » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:29 am

Jukebox wrote:
KEV wrote:... KID GALAHAD / FD is as good as any other idea.

Only for those that don't set the bar very high. Otherwise, it's not as good as any other idea.

Ahh...we have this boards answer to the DOC.
Just A View,


KEV

User avatar

Topic author
TonyS
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1385 times
Been thanked: 1648 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby TonyS » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:06 am

DarylR wrote:A few of my thoughts on the upcoming "Viva Las Vegas" 3 CD sessions set.

1. The set is not being billed as a "complete" sessions set. It would appear that they simply don't have all the vocal overdub takes of the movie version of "Today, Tomorrow And Forever." I believe the set only contains the vocal overdub take 10 - master and take 8. Takes 1 through 7 and take 9 of the vocal overdub to "Today, Tomorrow And Forever" as used in the film are excluded, either due to space constraints or that FTD didn't have access to the session tapes for the vocal overdub. Also missing are the outtakes for the two Ann-Margret solo numbers ("My Rival" and "Appreciation"). Several years ago, I suggested to Ernst that they should look into doing a set that included all the masters of Elvis' from the film along with the two Ann-Margret solo numbers. Both Ann-Margret solo numbers were once included in a box set by Bear Family; albeit the recordings were in mono and they were lifted directly from the film. However, "Appreciation" has previously appeared in stereo on a 1996 Rhino / Turner Classic Movies compilation CD titled "Bachelor In Paradise: Cocktail Classics From M-G-M Films."

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Bachelo ... se/4568775

2. I saw one of the discussions over on FECC regarding the upcoming "Viva Las Vegas" sessions set and I noticed that there was some debate as to whether the sets should be presented in chronological order they were recorded, despite the fact that it might be a tad tedious to present the songs in that order, as far as listening pleasure, especially on songs that simply don't hold up very well. I really don't see what the commotion is about regarding this debate. Looking at the track listings for each disc, there really only seems to be two issues; those would be track 18 on disc 1 which features takes 1 through 3 and then takes 5 and 4 of "Today, Tomorrow And Forever" and track 21 on disc 3 which features takes 13, 15 and then 14 of "You're The Boss." Outside of these anomalies of the takes being out of order, you pretty much can, if you so desire, to burn your own personal CD-R of the sessions in the order they were recorded. I would presume that the booklet that accompanies this set will have extensive recording session details to make it easy to do.

3. I really don't know how long a series such as this can go on, as far as the 3 CD sets and FTD. I think FTD would be better served by making these 3 CD sets more accessible via Sony Legacy rather than simply a collectors' label such as FTD. I realize these types of sets are aimed more for the more die-hard fan but, if I'm thinking correctly, isn't the packaging on these 3 CD sets, the same or very similar to the packaging found on the Sony Legacy releases of "A Boy From Tupelo" last year and the deluxe edition of the soundtrack to the HBO special, "Elvis Presley - The Searcher." I'm just saying that with the implementation of the 3 CD sets as they stand now with FTD, wouldn't now be a nice time to create a "mainstream bootleg series" similar to those done on Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash? This would likely result in a lower price point as they would be more easily accessible. Which brings me to my next point. Do you really think the HBO Special was aimed at the die-hard fans? Me personally, I think it was to some extent, as far as the usage of rare footage, session outtakes, etc. But I think the presentation of the show was ultimately to bring in new fans, young and old, that may have overlooked Elvis or didn't want to give him the recognition he rightly deserves. I think part of that strategy was trying to right the misconception that Elvis stole from African-American rhythm & blues artists.

Superb post IMO, thanks, I agree 100% on all points.
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.

User avatar

colonel snow
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:04 am
Location: antartica
Has thanked: 151 times
Been thanked: 787 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby colonel snow » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:08 am

colonel snow wrote:Do you know what "4 " means in the code S 0157?


colonel snow


Meanwhile it's clear to me: other acetates have:

S 0157-1- Do the vega;
S 0157-2 - The climb;
etc

colonel snow

User avatar

Tulsa Mclean
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:40 pm
Location: Spain
Has thanked: 321 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby Tulsa Mclean » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks Kevan Budd & Colonel Snow for the cool info on Viva Las Vegas Recordings!.

I recall that the bootleg lp Elvis-Rocks And The Girls Roll had a very nice "Night Life" version (no echo???), taken from a worn acetate. It´s unedited and contains count-in!.

R-9628919-1517759896-4243.jpeg.jpg


P.S: Hopefully they include all the counts-in on all tracks on the forthcoming FTD Viva Las Vegas Sessions 3 cd box set.

Source: http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-ses ... 09.html#01
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Image

User avatar

Topic author
TonyS
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1385 times
Been thanked: 1648 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby TonyS » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Tulsa Mclean wrote:Thanks Kevan Budd & Colonel Snow for the cool info on Viva Las Vegas Recordings!.

I recall that the bootleg lp Elvis-Rocks And The Girls Roll had a very nice "Night Life" version (no echo???), taken from a worn acetate. It´s unedited and contains count-in!.

R-9628919-1517759896-4243.jpeg.jpg

P.S: Hopefully they include all the counts-in on all tracks on the forthcoming FTD Viva Las Vegas Sessions 3 cd box set.

Source: http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-ses ... 09.html#01

That version is the unedited master, take 14 as per Keith's site but with count ins and longer fade out.
Will it be on the new release ?
Good question.
Looking at the track listing and timings for all the takes of Night Life listed on this new release the answer is a resounding......

NO !
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.

User avatar

colonel snow
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:04 am
Location: antartica
Has thanked: 151 times
Been thanked: 787 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby colonel snow » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Tulsa Mclean wrote:Thanks Kevan Budd & Colonel Snow for the cool info on Viva Las Vegas Recordings!.

I recall that the bootleg lp Elvis-Rocks And The Girls Roll had a very nice "Night Life" version (no echo???), taken from a worn acetate. It´s unedited and contains count-in!.

R-9628919-1517759896-4243.jpeg.jpg

P.S: Hopefully they include all the counts-in on all tracks on the forthcoming FTD Viva Las Vegas Sessions 3 cd box set.

Source: http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-ses ... 09.html#01



Here's a MP3 version - 2001 Night life take 14 taken from this LP.


colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar

Topic author
TonyS
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1385 times
Been thanked: 1648 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby TonyS » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:39 pm

You might enjoy the unedited STEREO master with no echo ? ;)
Night-Life_unedited_stereo_master.mp3
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.

User avatar

KEV
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:47 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 134 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby KEV » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:18 pm

Great work Mike,and the rest who have shared links.

I also spoke to some dealers who sell FTD,and it seems to be a "seller" ... if this is the case the next thing is are this sets going to be FILM only or will something like the 1970 sessions be looked at?.
Just A View,


KEV

User avatar

colonel snow
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:04 am
Location: antartica
Has thanked: 151 times
Been thanked: 787 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby colonel snow » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 pm

TonyS wrote:You might enjoy the unedited STEREO master with no echo ? ;)
Night-Life_unedited_stereo_master.mp3


Thanks for the upload; it looks the count-in is inserted, but who cares about it. Anyway thanks again.


colonel snow

User avatar

Topic author
TonyS
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1385 times
Been thanked: 1648 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby TonyS » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:25 pm

colonel snow wrote:
TonyS wrote:You might enjoy the unedited STEREO master with no echo ? ;)
Night-Life_unedited_stereo_master.mp3


Thanks for the upload; it looks the count-in is inserted, but who cares about it. Anyway thanks again.


colonel snow

I'm not sure about that, but it's certainly clipped on the acetate version.
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.

User avatar

Jukebox
Posts: 1534
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:03 pm
Has thanked: 556 times
Been thanked: 418 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby Jukebox » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:17 pm

KEV wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
KEV wrote:... KID GALAHAD / FD is as good as any other idea.

Only for those that don't set the bar very high. Otherwise, it's not as good as any other idea.

Ahh...we have this boards answer to the DOC.

Not even close, KEV.
You don't have to insult me like that just because we disagree.

For you to say that Kid Galahad/Follow That Dream would be as good as any other idea for an FTD 3-CD set is quite bizarre (to say the least),
but I'm not going to compare you to midnightx.

I have already explained that ALL of the Follow That Dream soundtrack material has already been issued on the FTD label.
It wouldn't make any sense to issue it again as part of a set with Kid Galahad just for the sake of creating a 3-CD set.

User avatar

KEV
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:47 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 134 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby KEV » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 am

Your at it again ... disagree is one thing but been rude i will not stand for it.

I will not be talked down by some one who hides behind a key board.

Quiote simply keep away from my posts and act like your man "carp" (Doc) to your hearts etc etc.

As for yer man Andy (midnight etc) i sorted him out on another forum a few years back ... another rude person its very fair to say.
Just A View,


KEV

User avatar

javilu
Posts: 973
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:37 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentinian Kingdom
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby javilu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:56 pm

DarylR wrote:
3. I really don't know how long a series such as this can go on, as far as the 3 CD sets and FTD. I think FTD would be better served by making these 3 CD sets more accessible via Sony Legacy rather than simply a collectors' label such as FTD. I realize these types of sets are aimed more for the more die-hard fan but, if I'm thinking correctly, isn't the packaging on these 3 CD sets, the same or very similar to the packaging found on the Sony Legacy releases of "A Boy From Tupelo" last year and the deluxe edition of the soundtrack to the HBO special, "Elvis Presley - The Searcher." I'm just saying that with the implementation of the 3 CD sets as they stand now with FTD, wouldn't now be a nice time to create a "mainstream bootleg series" similar to those done on Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash? This would likely result in a lower price point as they would be more easily accessible. Which brings me to my next point. Do you really think the HBO Special was aimed at the die-hard fans? Me personally, I think it was to some extent, as far as the usage of rare footage, session outtakes, etc. But I think the presentation of the show was ultimately to bring in new fans, young and old, that may have overlooked Elvis or didn't want to give him the recognition he rightly deserves. I think part of that strategy was trying to right the misconception that Elvis stole from African-American rhythm & blues artists.


This has been discussed before. These sets would never sell enough in the mainstream market to guarantee a wide release.

When stuff like "Essential Elvis" and the "Today, Tomorrow and Forever" sets brought disappointing sales, they just stopped being released and the escape for outtakes and such was the FTD label, where they could still make a profit selling the music at 3 times the value of a regular CD while keeping it for the hardcore fans like us.

IS there a market for a 3 CD set with Viva Las Vegas sessions outside FTD? I say no.
This is just another average Elvis soundtrack, not the music that changed the world like the one contained on "A Boy From Tupelo".
Just my 2 cents.
Image

User avatar

KEV
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:47 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 134 times

Re: FTD Viva Las Vegas 3 CD set - first look

Postby KEV » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Down the years i have meet fans who have never came across FTD or the above set.

Bob Moore (Bass player) i was in touch with him for a few years and and he never heard of FTD/Titles ... he wrote some thing like - typical RCA,they never send "us" these things and we played on those sessions.


ponit is why the lack of pushing FTD and missing out on some things they may like.

And why has LEGACY 2cd sets came to a holt???.
Just A View,


KEV


Return to “Everything Elvis”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: billbruce, eaptcb, elvisalisellers, jbgude, JimmyCool, Johnny2523, LauraEPFan, Sebastiano and 13 guests